Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #271
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'd start by seeing what you can see in stills - you might be able to see seams. But I would guess they're just very simple - like, kimono simple but less orderly. They look like they incorporate natural endings of hides - which could be faked.

Even in just this shot you can see that the patterning is really "crude" and features a lot of hides just sewn together and just butted up against each other not in really any aesthetic pattern but just according to whatever they managed to get.

Her sleeves in particular look like they resemble "raglan" type sleeves - picture. The hides are joined over the shoulder, not off it like some of the others are.

Close up.

Another.

Pleather and faux fur would be do-able, I think. The ability to weather it well would be enhanced by real leather - it will give you those highly-variable natural textures. But maybe there's some kind of better pleather that has more of that, too.

Another Picture

No matter what fabric you use, you want the overall effect to be "substantial" and not too wrinkly. To save money you could use a super cheap faux fur on the inside in places no one could ever see, but you definitely want that in there to give it body and make it look functional and warm. It's not just the drape, but you want it to be fairly puffy around your body so it looks like it actually works - the illusion is broken if it doesn't look like it can actually be functional.

In that way, I'd say that someone using a faux fur blanket with pleather tied around and sewn into it would actually look more convincing than someone who replicated the show costume seam-by-seam in an inappropriate material. I think that's why your "test" picture works so well - the "fur" is so fluffy and actually looks substantial and warm.

I think the variation in color is important - to have the base "leather" be fairly dark and to not cut your patterns to look too studied and uniform. It should look like it was cut with a sharpened jawbone while you had frostbite or something.

I've seen some pretty good jobs done on this costume and the weathering but I haven't seen something really, REALLY weather it. When you think it looks worn in send it through a tumbler with rocks or something and/or drag it behind a car and/or throw things at it and/or leave it outside in bad weather. Bend the belt, hit trees with it, let it get personal with a belt sander. Clean it off and do it again.

Sorry. I love weathering. I get weird about it.

I peeked in your gallery and you seem to understand and care about realism and it would be so cool to see someone actually do the weathering in this show justice. Srsly, I would die.

I get bored and I like puzzles, so this whole word vomit is for anyone who finds it and is interested in this costume.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #272
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Thanks so much for all the suggestions Kelley (and better references than I've come up with so far!) I'm going to start a little fabric scouting in the morning even though I keep telling myself I'm not actually going to be making the costume LOL. Without seeing what's available in the fabric district, my first instinct is to use imitation suede for the exterior and faux fur of varying qualities for the interior/edging/detailing. (my just-for-testing hood is some extra-long chenille which is actually a little wrap made to go with another costume... it does give the right impression though, huh?)
I do try to go for realism wherever it's appropriate to the costume and am detail-obsessed. Which means that even though a lot of the construction will be just kinda-piecing it together until it looks good, things like the weathering are going to be damn time-consuming. And I have higher-priority projects to be working on, like costume con stuff! T_T
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #273
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm not sure about suede - I'm not sure you'd be able to get the same kind of weathering and it doesn't really make sense for their culture (since it's weaker and deliberately made from splitting a hide - seems like a lot of extra work just to take away a desirable quality and get an aesthetic they wouldn't really be able to appreciate with everything covered in snow).

In the close up you see that the way the weathering is "detailed" is because of the way the leather skin is folding and creasing and breaking down with age.

Picture - this shows the "patterns" in the aged leather - which are what you see in her close-ups the "cells" of various sizes based on movement and wearing down.

The leather itself is doing most of the work in that weathering - it's providing the "detail" on its own by having places where the leather is used to folding and moving it breaks the snow weathering apart like that.

It might be so worn and used that it's getting suede texture in some places just because the top skin has been worn through.

Pleather at least tries to imitate the way skin breaks down. Actually, you might be able to find a "faux distressed leather" or something ! That would be really good.

And about giving the right impression - for this show's costumes in particular, I'm all about that. They do SO MUCH custom work that I feel like these are more about getting the costume to "read" right rather than to exactly replicate. For instance, you can't really replicate custom-weaving without actually custom weaving something - that little dirtbag, Joffrey, has so much amazing custom fabric - even having it printed isn't really going to be the same. So you have to compromise and be like, "do I get it printed in the right pattern ? Do I embroider to simulate ? Do I find a woven that gives the same reading but isn't the same pattern ?" It's all choices. And budget, lolol - just the purple sash that Joffrey wears at one point is literally $150+ of fabric.

O, and another this - another choice. They do things with lighting and filters that change the way that the costumes look in person as opposed to when watched on the show. If you see the pictures of her costume in person, they're like... really brown-tinted, way more than you see watching the show. So the choice is do you go with that or do you go with the colours you see after post-process is done ? This happens a lot in live-action replicas. Like, there are pictures of the 10th Doctor's actual coat from Doctor Who and people are still like, "the colour doesn't look quite right !" before they knew that, no, that was actually the real coat from the show the dude was wearing.

The shows on this costume are criminal. They spend countless hours on something that appears on-screen for less than three minutes.

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #274
setting54

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
Speaking of SDCC, is anybody else going to be GoT Cos'ing there? I think it would be cool to plan a meet up for a group photo or something.
That sounds awesome! Anyone else planning GoT cosplays for SDCC?

Cosplays:
-Kitty Pryde (Ultimate)
-(secret)
-Kitty Pryde (Excalibur)
-Femme!Quicksilver (Days of Future Past)
-Scarlet Witch (Classic)
-Femme!Moriarty
setting54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #275
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I noticed the color correction especially on Ned. His gambeson looks green on-screen, but in-person, apparently it's REALLY grey.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #276
TheNightingale
Extraordinarily Ordinary.

Someone told me in the 'Who Should I Cosplay?' thread that I'd make a good Arya. I'm not entirely sure how to go about Cosplaying someone so young haha or even if I COULD. What do you guys think?

Time for some thrilling heroics.
TheNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #277
Kelley
Devil of Details

If you like the character/show and want to put in the time and money ! The actress that plays her is older than she's "supposed" to be at 16, but depending on if you wanted to and what you wanted to do there are ways of emphasising looking younger (like I'm sure they do for her on the show !). Things like a little brown eyeliner under the bottoms of your eyes, maybe offset a little - depends on the eyes - a little white in the corners and on top, et cetera - stuff to make your eyes look bigger, a rosy youthful flush on the cheeks and highlights to make them look rounder, et cetera. I know a girl who is older than I am (I'm 24) who could pull off looking that age, I think it has to do a lot with how you dress and do your hair because she can look "older" just by changing that (and in this case the costume would be doing a lot of that for you).

I actually think her costumes are some of the easier ones, too. So I'd tend to say "go for it !" just on that ! It's hard to get an "easy costume" out of this show and hers are actually something I think even a total beginner wouldn't have too much trouble with (not saying that you are one since I don't know !).

The one's she's known for are largely just a few very simple items - what will really "sell it" is the makeup and distressing (distressing is so much fun, and since this costume wouldn't be too expensive it wouldn't kill your soul !). Plus, if you like the "getting into character" aspect, I think she'd be really fun for that !

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #278
asthompson
僕のク&

Hey everyone. Like everyone else, I decided to cosplay Daen

j/k imma make Joffrey just to be difficult (and so that hatred of me will flow across the realm of Pax Prime).

Step One: Find some good reference pictures.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...48646175_n.jpg

Decided on "The North Remembers" outfit with armor from "Blackwater" over it. Why not? I'm the one doing the work - I do what I want.

http://lastoryx.com/pictures/joffrey1.jpg
http://lastoryx.com/pictures/joffrey2.jpg

Step Two: Makerbot the crown thanks to Xeijix. (http://www.instructables.com/id/Game...atheons-Crown/) I 3D printed the crown at Shapeways.com for about $300. Advise to edit the build into one single piece and then to make it slightly oval versus perfectly circular and to round the antlers to save yourself some sanding. Don't spray paint it - rock first black acrylic and then gold and then gold rub and buff that shit for a metallic antiqued look. Glue gun and orange glass paint makes some cheap gems to stuff in the tiny crown holes.

http://lastoryx.com/pictures/crown1.JPG
http://lastoryx.com/pictures/crown2.JPG
http://lastoryx.com/pictures/crown3.JPG

Step Three: Ho shit home decor fabric is expensive. Unless you're a student cuz this month that shiz is 20% off plus it's 50% off home decor. Knocks you down to $12-20 a yard from $50. Or somewhere around there. Math's not my strong suit.

http://lastoryx.com/pictures/fabric1.JPG
http://lastoryx.com/pictures/fabric2.JPG

Red: http://www.joann.com/home-decor-soli...prd_09706318a/ (ZOMB 50% off)

Couldn't find the red/gold one online but it's in the upholstery section. Not being online either means I suck at searching or they're phasing it out. Either way, just pick anything light on flowers and heavy on gold and red and you're in the ballpark.

Step Four: Make a mockup. Use Simplicity 4059 with an altered collar and a detachable armcape. #easybutton.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2089-men-costumes.aspx

Step Five: Make the real thing. THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING NOW. AHHH. Will post pics when I have them.

See my other costumes @ my broken website lastoryx.com.

Sakura Con 2014:
Edward Kenway - Assassin's Creed 4
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)
asthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #279
Kelley
Devil of Details

It's interesting to see how people with totally different skillsets tackle similar problems ! Will be interesting to see it finished.

I've finished by pattern, mostly.

I'll decide when I do the mock-up if the back "skirt" pieces need to be a slightly different shape or not.

And all our fabric is dyed, except for the fabric for friend's Daenerys dress*, which will be dip dyed after the pieces are cut out.

*I'm really proud of what we're doing with the dress - this is going to be her first really finished costume and I think it's a good choice because it's a pretty simple dress, but still with some "brain problem" elements.

I'm really dreading making the image file for Spoonflower.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #280
asthompson
僕のク&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
It's interesting to see how people with totally different skillsets tackle similar problems ! Will be interesting to see it finished.

I've finished by pattern, mostly.

My skillset is a mystery. :3

Looks like my modded pattern. The only difference I see is that you've incorporated Simplicity 4059's seperated shoulder flange (I wanted to call them epaulets but that's not quite right) into the actual body of the piece.

I can see indications for this in the refs for and against.

This made me say - keep it one piece: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/house-la...aratheon-photo

The bend here made me think that it needed the seam: http://gameofthronesfandom.files.wor...-baratheon.jpg

What do you think, should I incorporate into the body or seperate to maintain that creased area? (I'm a fairly broad man.)

For those doing Daendylion, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.michelecarragherembroider...e(2880143).htm

Sakura Con 2014:
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #281
chewyd

Hi! I stumbled across this subforum and was hoping to get some advice. I'm looking to make the round circlet that Kraznys and other slavers in Astapor wear as part of their outfit.

Such as these circles in silver
and this

My question is, what is the most cost-effective but efficient way to do so? Sculpey? craft foam? It needs to be able to bear some weight from holding cloth, but not an entire dress/outfit. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
chewyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #282
Kelley
Devil of Details

Mine is for Ser Loras and not based on any commercial pattern. To me the idea of modifying a pattern is exceptionally frustrating so that's one way I tend to do things differently (from most people) ! It's fairly similar to Joffrey's, though - and there are other similar challenges.

I find it kind of hilarious that there is a commercial "historical" pattern that will work for the Game of Thrones garments since the show's garments aren't historical Earth clothing. I mean, it's great for anyone who wants a pattern for various GoT characters, but not so much if someone actually wanted a historical pattern. :P

Like, after reading your post I thought it would be good to 3D print Loras's brooch, but I'm not really up to creating a model of it right now! Also similar in that their fabrics aren't commercially available. I think you found a good one for Joffrey, though if you ever need it custom printing from Spoonflower is actually quite affordable!

I'm more a traditional tailor - so the "new" things to (like 3D printing) are still a little beyond me! I'd love to learn, but hopefully a simple project will present itself first, something with fewer differences in elevation. I'm totally in despair and largely given up on making the various ouches, I might just go with buttons and replace them at a later date or leave them off for now.

Interestingly, it does seem that Joffrey's shoulder caps are cut as one with the body like Loras's, (some costumes on the show they are actually separate). Unlike Loras's, though, they are rather small and don't slope down. Cutting as one creates a bend, usually, just because the body isn't a flat plane in that area and without a seam it can't be shaped to the body perfectly. Cutting them separately might and in making you appear less broad by breaking up the area, or you could make the points as small as possible.

---

Spent three hours drawing out my embroidery pattern on the sleeves last night. Hopefully the next one goes faster since it will just be a copy. But of course there's the actual embroidery to do.

Actually in the pipes:

Last edited by Kelley : 07-08-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #283
asthompson
僕のク&

Hmm. Durable, light-weight and holdin' some weight on a shoe string budget?

SOUNDS LIKE MDF BOARD TIME. NOBODY GUNNA BEAT $7. Well, prolly ~$15 after Gold Rub and Buff, sand paper and a gold acrylic base coat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-...8104/202089069

http://www.amazon.com/Rub-Buff-2oz-A.../dp/B0002IXUOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyd View Post
Hi! I stumbled across this subforum and was hoping to get some advice. I'm looking to make the round circlet that Kraznys and other slavers in Astapor wear as part of their outfit.

Such as these circles in silver
and this

My question is, what is the most cost-effective but efficient way to do so? Sculpey? craft foam? It needs to be able to bear some weight from holding cloth, but not an entire dress/outfit. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Sakura Con 2014:
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #284
chewyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthompson View Post
Hmm. Durable, light-weight and holdin' some weight on a shoe string budget?

SOUNDS LIKE MDF BOARD TIME. NOBODY GUNNA BEAT $7. Well, prolly ~$15 after Gold Rub and Buff, sand paper and a gold acrylic base coat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-...8104/202089069

http://www.amazon.com/Rub-Buff-2oz-A.../dp/B0002IXUOI
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'd never thought of using particle board. Do you think I'd be able to achieve that hammered metal look from MDF board, paint, and rub n buff? If so, how?

Thanks again, this has been really helpful
chewyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #285
Kelley
Devil of Details

Ooo, I missed that post. Just as a note, craft foam can't really bear weight - if you use it, it will just rip open. Maybe layers and layers glued together would work, but I wouldn't risk it.

I think MDF is the best option, too. You might be able to find something pre-cut at a craft store since it's such a simple shape (might not be the perfect choice of material, but if you can't cut it yourself you gotta do what you gotta do).

If you were really desperate and without a saw of any kind, you could probably use a few of those plastic waffle sheet things (or another kind of plastic that can be cut with a craft knife) covered in fabric or cardboard.

Actually in the pipes: