Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 06-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Waterproofing fashion makeup

I've found threads about doing "waterproof" or sweat-proof effects makeup (facepaint, tattoos, etc), but little about more standard looks which can hold up to the water.

So what do people use for underwater shoots, or similar situations in which your face will be getting wet? I'm planning a couple of costumes to take the the beach or waterpark this summer, and I have no idea what I can do to make sure that my makup doesn't wash away (or smear all over my face) the second I hit the water.

My usual look for the characters is mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, brow pencil, and lipstick. Ideally, I'm not looking to buy all-new products just for these couple of costumes (though I'm due for a new waterproof mascara anyways).

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

The best I can think of is making sure your products are waterproof and using a good setting spray. My eyeshadow tends to last longer if I use a primer, a cream shadow, and then a powder shadow. You can probably apply some of the techniques in the other threads you've found to this.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Rylynn Cherith

For your eyeshadow, mix it with a little Visine as you go. Squirt a little drop onto the lid of the eyeshadow case and dab your eyeshadow brush into it after you pick up some eyeshadow and then apply as usual. Not sure if this works with ALL eyeshadows, so you might want to try some on your hand first, but from my experience it works pretty well to make it a bit water resistant and brighten the color! Hope this helps
Rylynn Cherith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
KarisaLightYear
Kair

The best (free) thing you could do is just to not touch your makeup after going in the water.

Otherwise, there are waterproof formulas you can use. Makeup Forever has a line dedicated to these.

For mascara, I highly recommend Clarins Double Fix. You can use any (ANY) mascara, apply this on top (it's clear), and go swimming.

Makeup Forever Aqua Liner is swim-proof.

Brows are usually safe unless your rub them. Otherwise use a waterproof eyeliner to fill them in. Just use a brown/taupe eyeliner if your hair is dark. Taupe is usually the universal shade.

Lipstick isn't that hard, just use a stain. Revlon's Kissable Balm Stain is good.

Here's a waterproof makeup tutorial in action, you can try out the same products:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiTEBPpqds

Good luck!
KarisaLightYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
AntFuze
Tiny but Crazy

Thanks dudes for this link Saved my butt
AntFuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
phantasystar67

Make Up Forever is really your best bet, I'd say. One of my cosplaying friends swears by them for waterproof. She says she could go swimming and the stuff wouldn't come off.

For lips, I suggest a lip stain rather than lipstick. The stain is much harder to get out! And for eyeliner... URBAN DECAY. Seriously, their 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner is aptly labeled. Although they might have wanted to add that it is also soap-proof (I don't have makeup remover just face soap). Once I put a swatch on my hand and wore it all day. After washing my hands and drying with paper towels three times and DOING THE DISHES, it was STILL there. Eventually I just had to scrub it off. That is how waterproof it is.

Actually, they have waterproof eyeliner in a bunch of different colours, all dupes of their eyeshadow colours, as well as pencil versions. You might want to look at those. They are a little expensive but a little bit goes a long way. I've had the same liquid liner for a year now and it's still going strong! I really, really recommend Urban Decay. I have so many good experiences with them!

Great for cosplay!
phantasystar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Haruhi13

Here's a great video by Michelle Phan! She covers basically everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fraDU9-iDP0
Haruhi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Khorrupt

Obviously the best way to waterproof makeup is to use waterproof products, but obviously some don't come in waterproof (i.e. eyeshadow), and so I've found that the best way to do this is by using wax-based products, like feathering out coloured eyeliner as eyeshadow rather than using actual eyeshadow, which is prone to smearing. Also, for eyeliner, you could use Ben Nye and apply it with a brush -- then it really wouldn't be going anywhere.

For lipstick, I'd go with lip stain, if you can. (Unless your lips are chapped; then avoid that stuff like the plague.)

And then, of course, setting spray. They make ones actually for fashion makeup, rather than, say, Ben Nye, but I honestly don't know the differences between the two, rather than that you can buy types that make your face look dewy if you go for the fashion stuff.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote