Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
miki1356

Help Me Please

I could use a little help with a wig for a few reasons. I'm trying to go to an anime convention in March (hopefully) but I don't know if the character (Amulet Spade) requires a wig. If so what color? Where can I get a cheap one? Is it easier to make one or get one online? If you could help me that would be amazing.
miki1356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

It is up to you wether you want to use a wig for a cosplay or are comfortable using your own hair. I would recommend it if you don't have pink hair, if only for the fact that you'd be recognized a lot easier as that character. I'm sure others can hand out particular sites and ebay members where they get their wigs from. (I stick to ebay, but don't really make a point to go to a particular person's shop.) Making a wig takes a lot of time and money. Especially if you're making a ventilated wig and hand sewing all the wefts in. (using a sewing machine cuts down the time. But still. Time and money.) It's definitely easier to just buy one.

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I'd just use a short wig..Does she still have pink hair in this form? Just search pink shors layered wig or something on ebay..You will get a ton to pick from
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
phantasystar67

I've personally bought from Epic Cosplay, Arda, and Five Wits and would recommend all three for SHORT wigs(long wigs are a different story lol!). Epic Cosplay has a sale going on right now if that interests you. Besides that, a generic eBay search and sticking to top rated sellers should get you something almost as good for a fraction of the price. More expensive eBay wigs might even be able to rival their quality, but at that point you're paying basically the same price. If you could give us some specifications besides pink wig (reference pictures, does it need to be heat or tangle resistant, are you going to be wearing it in the heat, or is cheapness your highest priority, how accurate do you need the colour, stuff like that)
phantasystar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki1356 View Post
Where can I get a cheap one? Is it easier to make one or get one online?
Arda Wigs and Epic Cosplay are my two favorite places to buy wigs. They're reasonably priced, great quality, and almost all of them are heat resistant which is always nice.

And when you say "make one" do you mean make a wig from scratch? I would definitely not recommend that. Unless you've had A LOT of experience doing major wig styling, that's a headache waiting to happen, and you'll probably still end up having to buy a wig. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard of a cosplayer making an entire wig from scratch before. Anyway, just because you shouldn't sew a wig from scratch doesn't mean you should be afraid of styling your wig (cutting the bangs, etc.). I just felt the need to clarify that lol
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
cosplay_luvur

Like everyone said there are a ton of cosplay sites you can buy a wig from, I however stick to ebay because of my budget, it may not be as "great" quality as what the cosplay sites have to offer but hey you get what you pay for.

I still find nice heat-resistant wigs for about 10-20 usd, as opposed to spending 30-40 on a pre styled (that just deforms in packaging) , on ebay.

Most of the wigs I buy i get them from bidding, rather than Buy it Now!
I would definitely not dye your hair for two reasons

1.) Unless you have light blond hair youre going to have to bleach your hair to achieve the shade of pink
2.) It isn't anymore expensive to buy a wig than dye your hair and wigs aren't permanent

HOWEVER

If you don't have the budget for a wig I'm quite sure the costume will be recognizable with or without the wig.

Best of luck! ^_^

Upcoming Costumes:
Meiko from Vocaloid: 20%
Priest Avatar Regalia from WoW: 5%
Cecile from Code Geass: 0%
cosplay_luvur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Sukyung
Hi I like noodles

Like everyone else said, it's up to you whether or not you want to use a wig or not. Some people use non-permanent hair dye and style their hair like the characters. Although this is a tough option for many reasons being that it can't be great to dye your hair such an un-natural color and the huge mess. I would personally just go with a wig, cheap and easy. I'm aware some wigs can get kind of pricy (You really get what you pay for. If you pay for a $10 wig from Party City, it's gonna look like a Party City wig. Wear as you pay $35, and it be much better quality and last longer. Totally up to the cosplayer.) Since all of Amu's transformations have relatively the same hair, I think you can get away with just buying a wig that looks like her original hair. [1][2] [3] You could just take out the ponytail if necessary, it'll be covered by the hat anyways.
I think people would recognize you with the wig or not, so it's really up to you.

- Where to find me -
Facebook: [ link ]
DeviantART: [ link ]

ғ ᴜ ᴛ ᴜ ʀ ᴇ ᴄ ᴏ ɴ s
ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ Csʟʏ Aʀ ɪcՁ١4
Sukyung is offline   Reply With Quote