Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
subjecttochange
Subject To Change

Unhappy Having trouble with a Lolita cosplay!!

Hello,
I am having BIG trouble with a Lolita dress and I need some help ASAP.
Here is the product so far:
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/xx...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/xx...tml?sort=3&o=1
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/xx...tml?sort=3&o=2

Now, the colour scheme is black, purple and grey, and it is supposed to be a gothic Lolita, but I am NOT happy with it. I don't like the cuffs on the purple shirt, and I tried to sew black frilly cuffs on but it just looked stupid. I also have a belt under the vest that's only purpose is to hie the seam between the skirt and the shirt. PLUS, I hate the skirt. I have a petticoat under it but it still looks really droopy and sad.
The accessories are a purple wig and purple sheer tights with BIG goth platform boots (There is also a black cincher under the shirt). I just don't think it looks good or is put together well.
I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!

Unread 07-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
Throatriptron
Tsundere

Honestly I'd get rid of the vest altogether. A big part of Lolita is the elegance factor, and the vest just doesn't fit. The shirt is a good starting point as it's modest with cute detailing.

The reason your skirt is still droopy and sad is because I don't think it's the proper shape for a petticoat. And with the tulle and shape it's more fairy kei than gothic lolita.

There's no shame in asking for help and suggestions on your first couple of coords. Lolita is a very hard style to master. I think you'll have even better luck posting this in the EGL forum here. The girls and guys that frequent it always have amazing suggestions and are really eager to help! Trust me, I lurk there all the time.

A bit of advice though is not to call it a "cosplay". It irks the community because to lolitas it's not a costume, it's a whole fashion subculture. Good luck pulling this together!
Throatriptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
hikarigirl13
Hika-chan

I agree with Throatriptron, lose the vest. I would personally add perhaps a corset to hide the seam between the skirt and the shirt? Something with lace or ribbon could add a cute factor. I'm afraid that's all the input I have to offer - hope it helped a little bit and good luck!

Next Con: SacAnime Winter 2015 (Hopefully), Fanime 2015

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
-Dr. Seuss
hikarigirl13 is online now   Reply With Quote