Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
ChaosFoxCostuming

Serah farron - Final Fantasy 13

Here is how she is supposed to look and I do indeed know that I am missing the bandage and armband thing I accidentally left them at home for the con so I would like critique on the rest of the costume and my poses any advice is helpful.
http://gunslingerstyle.files.wordpre...h-farron1.png\

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...20Farron/s.jpg

here is me.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...88186& type=1

ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

The non-ponytailed side of your wig looks a little poofier than the reference. Is it styled this way, or is that something a comb would fix?
Would also suggest shortening the chain on the necklace, or getting a shorter one to put the pendant on.

I can't give much in the way of posing advice, but I'll give it a shot. First off, slouch less. It looks like your shoulders roll forward in some of the sitting shots. As well, try not to have your shoulders directly facing the camera at any time. Angles look better than a straight on view. Don't be afraid to be... dynamic.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

I agree with the slouching.
It also looks like the non-ponytail part of your wig can be slightly trimmed since I feel like it has too many layers that makes it look kinda poofy. Or at least straightening it. It also looks like Serah's side ponytail is a lot thinner at the end, so probably straightening that area as well?

Overall, great cosplay!
Guo Jia [Dynasty Warrior 8]
Fem!Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Military Akira [Togainu no Chi]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
anwyn_crescent
Anwyn_Crescent

You're really cute! I think the basic details of your costume are really nice. If you're interested, I have a few tips that might help you achieve the "look" of the character better. I noticed that you are pretty petite. I think there are a few details of this cosplay that are working against you, rather than for you. Fortunately, they're super easy to fix and will actually help you achieve a closer resemblance to your reference image. =)

So, to create the super long legs that she has, try boots with a little heel on them and make sure that the tops don't go more than an inch above your ankle. The boots in the photos you posted are flats. In the reference image Serrah actually has little wedges. Finding the right shoes is really difficult so if you can find something at the thrift shop with the right heel, you can use this awesome tutorial for boot covers:
http://firelilycosplay.deviantart.co...rial-161626176

For the leggings, make sure that they land mid thigh rather than just above the knee. Just above the knee gives the leg a very cut-off look. A really easy and cheap cheat for the thigh-high stockings is to buy an inexpensive pair of black leggings and just trim off the leg pieces to the desired height. To keep them up you can use sock glue or Top Stick.

I would suggest making your silver garter pieces about half their current width. By making them thinner, you are again helping your legs look longer and staying more true to your reference image.

lastly, I agree with the above comment about a shorter chain on the necklace and posing energetically. You seem like you probably have a really cute personality; don't be afraid to make big gestures. Everything looks smaller in a photograph so make sure that you stand/sit straight and really make your gestures big and cartoony. It will feel very weird at first but it really just makes you look comfortable in pix. =)

I hope you find my comment useful. Keep on rocking the cosplay scene, I can see a lot of potential in you.
anwyn_crescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
SeeU

I can agree with everyone's comments above and I only have a bit to add.

Your shirt does not have the triangles that Serah's does in the game and the side panels are not see-threw they are actually a grey color. Your skirt is a little too pink for my liking but if you like it then c'est la vie.

As for the shoes, the shoes are not wedge shoes, they actually have a small heel (about 2-3 inches long). You can probably find a cheap pair of lace up boots at the thrift store or ebay and paint them the right color. My sister used MELTONIAN NU-LIFE spray on her shoes and found a cheap pair on ebay and cut them down to size.

The bracelet is on the wrong arm but also it looks a little big. My sis bought her's from here http://www.storenvy.com/products/623...arron-bracelet she also got her hair tie from that person as well.
SeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

Pretty much what everyone else said. I understand the problem with the shorter part of the wig since I had the same issue when I cosplayed Serah. What I recommend doing is flat ironing that part straight and adding a little hairspray to keep it tamed. That part loves to curl up a lot! It's a very common problem with shoulder-length wigs from what I've seen.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote