Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
RomanAngelo
Photographer

Devil of the Sea- Critique Request

Hello, everyone!
I would love some critique on my last shoot, 'Devil of the Sea', which can be found in my gallery here!

Thanks in advance,
Roman Angelo
http://romanangelo.deviantart.com
RomanAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Well done for a self-portrait. Lots of thought and effort into the costume and set. I like the toning and feel of the overall edit, as well.

Additional lighting in the background would have added a lot of extra visual interest. Either some more candles back there, or a lantern, or perhaps an out-of-frame flash. A low-powered rim light or "kicker" would have really made your hair pop, and added some much-needed separation between the dark costume/chair/props, and the dark background. As it is, you're sinking into the negative space and background, instead of popping out of it.

Minor quibble #1: At this size, I can't really see the edit on the face; it looks odd at the small web size, but I can't quite put my finger on the specifics.

Minor quibble #2: I like the props a lot, but the skull positioning seems like a bit of an afterthought? I would have expected such a significant artifact to hold a more intentional, prime position. And, a slightly different hand position might have added more interest or looked a little less forced; the view of the back of your knuckles is kinda odd, and the viewer can't tell what you're holding.

Overall, nice job for a self-portrait. A rim/edge light would have really taken it up another notch.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

I think you did a fantastic job. First I would like to thank you for not posting an entire gallery. There's really not much feedback we can provide for an entire set of images, but if you give us 1 image, then we can really sink our teeth in. The lighting, the tones, are all a matter of personal tastes but I think you did a good job. It's interesting and the color scheme works with the macabre items on the table.

One thing I'd like to see is a change of composition in your relation to the items. I think if the camera angle was lower, almost at or at table level, and the items and the table were more in the foreground and you were the focus, that it would create a much more dynamic picture. You'd have a bit of a contrast in focus, where'd you'd be the subject of the image, and the items on the table would still contribute to the mood but wouldn't fight with you for attention because they'd be slightly out of focus and clearly part of the foreground framing. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have this piece, but that I'd just like to see another one that played with dimensions of focus and emphasis with everything you have in this picture. You could easily make another image with the opposite emphasis, where the items on the table in the foreground are in focus with your hand grabbing the skull, and you are in the background out of focus. This creates a more dynamic relationship between you and the items on the table.

Great job, truly a breath of fresh air for this section.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
TerribleCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanAngelo View Post
Hello, everyone!
I would love some critique on my last shoot, 'Devil of the Sea', which can be found in my gallery here!

Thanks in advance,
Roman Angelo
http://romanangelo.deviantart.com
There's no visual interest in it. Try harder ;P
TerribleCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

I agree with what nathancarter said, the biggest critique being that the background is the only big weak point to this great photo (and props to it being a self-protrait, I fail miserably at those haha).

I'm guessing the camera was on a tripod or just somehow set down and didn't have to be moved. One thing you can do in those situations if you don't have enough strobes is to take the shot you just did, leave the camera where it is, and just take another shot with the strobe moved to the background. Then you can merge the two together in post.

The shaping of the light and post-processing I love for the overall image, especially on the subject. For the table items, I think I might have put a little more light onto something on the table, say that skull. Just something to connect the props more to the character. This I can you can even do in photoshop if you put a few minutes into it. As it is, the table environment feels a little flat and under utilized.

Overall, I think this is an excellent shot!

Upcoming Convention:

Anime California 2014 (Will be holding panel, "Posing for Cosplay Photos")
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote