Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 06-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Ashteritops

Karkat Makeup Test

Tonight I decided to test my paint and makeup that I will be wearing to AX, for both My Karkat Vantas (Homestuck) and Marshall Lee (Adventure Time) cosplays (although for this test I had Karkat in mind).

I used PAX paint and eye shadow for highlights and shadows. This is my first time working with any sort of face paint or makeup, so I'm sure it's not that great. Also I apologize for the unstyled brown hair, I will be dying my hair black tomorrow. I would just like any advice or anything to use to make my final result for the convention to look as good as possible.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any input!
Ashteritops is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Aurorae

Did you set the makeup at all? I can't tell if it's the paint looking shiny, but if not then I say tone down the highlights or use something less shimmery. The shading looks really good though.
Personally I would make your lips a bit darker- troll lips are naturally black, though most cosplayers seem to leave them gray on the males for some reason. A dark grey would be a good compromise though, and make it look more natural then skintone-matching lips. Otherwise, it looks good!

As a non-makeup side note, it looks like you're wearing red contacts- karkat's eyes are dark grey/black in-canon, along with all the other trolls!
Aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Ashteritops

It is the paint that is shiny, next time I'll try and fix that. I kind of rushed with powdering it and I think being a lot more thorough could help a lot (despite being shiny, the paint was totally dry). I'm glad the shading looks alright, though!

As far as the lips, I looked at tons of different Karkat cosplayers and as you said, most just leave them the same tone as the rest of the face. That didn't look very natural to me, which is why I decided to darken them at all in the first place. I just wasn't sure how dark to go, next time I'll try making them darker!

Also it was to my understanding that troll's irises would fade to their blood color as they got older? Since I'm also cosplaying Marshall Lee, I thought it would be a good compromise to go with red eyes for both of them rather than buying two pairs of contacts.

Thanks for the advice! C:
Ashteritops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
erwneoten

I would make the circles under your eyes a bit darker (poor Karkat, always so tired/stressed!) Other than that, it looks awesome!
erwneoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Cynn

I would definitely try to tone down the shininess! Your shading looks absolutely wonderful. Though, I agree the bags under your eyes should be a decent amount darker. As for lips, I say that really depends on what you feel looks good on you. Personally, as a biological female, making my lips the canon black on male trolls tends to make me look WAY too feminine. So, I go with a slightly darker grey to keep the realism whilst trying to stick to canon as much as I can. Overall, great job on the make up and good luck with your cosplays!
  • Hajime Hinata [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [70%]
  • Shinji Ikari [Neon Genesis Evangelion] [90%]
  • Sonia Nevermind [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [50%]

Cynn is offline   Reply With Quote