Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
phantasystar67

Cosplayanimewig for ponytail?

Mkay so I'm cosplaying Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck-it Ralph this year but I'm on a budget, so I resisted buying a wig from Epic Cosplay and bought from cosplayanimewig on eBay instead because they seem to have good feedback. Are their wigs thick enough to pull into a ponytail without the wefts being obvious? I'm not buying a two piece wig because of the price.

Also, has anyone bought from cool2day on Amazon? My other option is to buy one of their cheap wigs as a base and then buy an Epic Cosplay clip on ponytail.
phantasystar67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Unles the wig is specifically designed to be in a ponytail, no. No wig will ever be able to be pulled up without re wefting/adding new wefts in. They need to be upside down in ordre to work correctly, and I can guarantee this wig will not be able to come out of the bag, ready to be pulled into a ponytail.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
phantasystar67

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Unles the wig is specifically designed to be in a ponytail, no. No wig will ever be able to be pulled up without re wefting/adding new wefts in. They need to be upside down in ordre to work correctly, and I can guarantee this wig will not be able to come out of the bag, ready to be pulled into a ponytail.
Actually, that isn't true. I've done it before with a thick wig and it looked fine. There are tutorials for it, too, that aren't too hard to find. People do it all the time with out-of1the-bag wigs. It just takes some fibre gymnastics. I'm asking about how thick these wigs are. I'm not sure where you got your info, but it is incorrect...
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I got my info from evey other thread on this site asking about pulling normal long wigs into ponytails..Everyone has already said it before..AS well as doing it myself to a few wigs
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
phantasystar67

I guess nobody else has bothered googling it either then...

Here are some of the many tutorials for pulling them into ponytails, in case you are interested. I use the first one. It works well.

http://kosupureikei.wordpress.com/20...high-ponytail/
http://monetclaude.deviantart.com/ar...l-1-262688535*
http://pixiesizedprincess.tumblr.com...-wig-breakdown

Arda wigs even SAYS you can pull their wigs into high ponytails.

Anyhow, that's not what this thread is about. It's about how well cosplayanimewigs will fare using the method.
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well the first link you can still see areas where the wefting shows..So that pretty much is exactly what I said..And the second one is nothing at all..It says there's nothing there, then the 3rd isn't even putting it into a ponytail, it's adding items to a wig that's already IN a ponytail..

And I haven't seem a single arda wig that says that that aren't already pulled unto ponytails. I literally just read all of their long wig descriptions, and not a single one says that, so please show me where you read that on their site.

And yes it does have to do with this thread, because you are looking to put it into a ponytail, which could easily turn out badly and possibly waist your money. If that's not a big issue with you, then that's up to you, I gave the advice everyone else was giving people about the same styling, and I'm pretty sure the people that have done it many times should know what they are talking about
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Weather it a tick or thin wig you still need add weft to create a claen edge to the back of the wig. The thickness of the wig does not dictate the thickness of the edge.

The one thing about Cosplayanimewigs is there wig are small. Nice but SMALL, unless your head size is less then 20" circumference I don't recommended pulling their with into a updo. Cosplayanimewigs/CosplayDNA (same owner they started out as CosplayDNA) also sells wefts now for modification.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-Hair-We... em25796879a7

You will also want to pad the ponytail to make it look thicker then it is.

But really can you afford one of these? If your planing to but from two different stores it probably be cheaper or about the same this way.
http://arda-wigs.com/products/jeannie

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 07-11-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Aurorae

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasystar67 View Post
I guess nobody else has bothered googling it either then...

Here are some of the many tutorials for pulling them into ponytails, in case you are interested. I use the first one. It works well.

http://kosupureikei.wordpress.com/20...high-ponytail/
http://monetclaude.deviantart.com/ar...l-1-262688535*
http://pixiesizedprincess.tumblr.com...-wig-breakdown

Arda wigs even SAYS you can pull their wigs into high ponytails.

Anyhow, that's not what this thread is about. It's about how well cosplayanimewigs will fare using the method.
Those first two links look... really messy. The first one is pretty bad- you can still see the wefts peeking through everywhere. The second is better, but still doesn't look very good and has a weird ginormous bump in the back because of the way it's pulled up, which just looks awkward. The third link is using a pre-made ponytail wig.

NONE of Arda's wigs can be pulled into high ponytails. They have NEVER stated otherwise, and it's the reason they sell ponytail wigs. Long wigs just do not look good pulled up, no matter how thick they are. There may be ways to cheat it, like the links you provided, but they won't look very good.

So what people are saying is: whatever wig you buy, unless it's pre-made into a ponytail, it will not fare well at all with this method. If Arda wigs, as thick as they are, can not be pulled up without adding wefts, there is no way that an ebay wig will be able to do it.
Aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
phantasystar67

They look fine to me. The third one is NOT a ponytail clip, if you scroll down further you will see it is not, she gives a short tutorial on how to do it. Arda has it under their tutorials page, their specifically made for updo wigs are, I believe, Jasmine and Jeanne and there may have been some others. I don't like Arda, though, they tangle too much so I'd rather not waste my money on one like the Candy Striper I bought. Since no one seems to believe me, maybe I'll post q tutorial myself to prove otherwise because all this thread is doing is being infuriating. Also, Epic Cosplay has an official video on how to put wigs into ponytails. I would link it if I weren't on mobile right now, but if you look it up you can find it easily. It looks great!

Btw, cosplayanimewigs isn't an eBay-specific store, it has it's own website. I just bought from their eBay store because convenience. Epic Cosplay also has an eBay store, but theirs is more expensive sometimes but has a few colours I can't find on the website. All I really need to know is how thick are they compared to Arda/Epic Cosplay(<Golden Standard)

And I HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE. ALL IM ASKING ABOUT IS HOW THICK IT IS. WILL WEFTS SHOW IF I MESS WITH IT. I really don't care how many gymnastics I have to do with it, I just need it to be thick. But I give up, I'll just wing it and if it doesn't work I'll buy a $10 clip from Epic Cosplay.

@Ani_BEE thank you so much for the actually helpful, thoughtful, polite advice! It's very frustrating when everyone else is just "EF NO" so it is nice to have actual input on how to make it work!!! >_<! I have been scared away from Arda with their horrendously tangle-y Candy Striper wig though and really I have a solid limit of approximately $21 + or - a bit(I might have some extra later on it depends on if I can get a second job) so I might have to sacrifice quality a bit because I am reaaaaaally at rock bottom right now. I shouldn't even spend this much but I really, really don't want to get a $6 wig from Amazon that has no reviews outside of Amazon. That just sounds sketchy. I tried to find an Epic Cosplay or even Arda wig that I can afford but I can't. I don't have a large head so it should be fine.
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Aurorae

Quote:
They look fine to me. The third one is NOT a ponytail clip, if you scroll down further you will see it is not, she gives a short tutorial on how to do it. Arda has it under their tutorials page, their specifically made for updo wigs are, I believe, Jasmine and Jeanne and there may have been some others. I don't like Arda, though, they tangle too much so I'd rather not waste my money on one like the Candy Striper I bought. Since no one seems to believe me, maybe I'll post q tutorial myself to prove otherwise because all this thread is doing is being infuriating. Also, Epic Cosplay has an official video on how to put wigs into ponytails. I would link it if I weren't on mobile right now, but if you look it up you can find it easily. It looks great!

Btw, cosplayanimewigs isn't an eBay-specific store, it has it's own website. I just bought from their eBay store because convenience. Epic Cosplay also has an eBay store, but theirs is more expensive sometimes but has a few colours I can't find on the website. All I really need to know is how thick are they compared to Arda/Epic Cosplay(<Golden Standard)

And I HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE. ALL IM ASKING ABOUT IS HOW THICK IT IS. WILL WEFTS SHOW IF I MESS WITH IT. I really don't care how many gymnastics I have to do with it, I just need it to be thick. But I give up, I'll just wing it and if it doesn't work I'll buy a $10 clip from Epic Cosplay.

@Ani_BEE thank you so much for the actually helpful, thoughtful, polite advice! It's very frustrating when everyone else is just "EF NO" so it is nice to have actual input on how to make it work!!! >_<! I have been scared away from Arda with their horrendously tangle-y Candy Striper wig though and really I have a solid limit of approximately $21 + or - a bit(I might have some extra later on it depends on if I can get a second job) so I might have to sacrifice quality a bit because I am reaaaaaally at rock bottom right now. I shouldn't even spend this much but I really, really don't want to get a $6 wig from Amazon that has no reviews outside of Amazon. That just sounds sketchy. I tried to find an Epic Cosplay or even Arda wig that I can afford but I can't. I don't have a large head so it should be fine.
Alright, I'll answer your question directly then. Yes, wefts will show. So will the edge of the wig cap. It does not matter how thick the wig is. The only way to make a good-looking ponytail wig from scratch is by buying matching wefts or extensions, and sewing them to wrap upside down from under the cap, as seen here: http://arda-wigs.com/blogs/tutorials...-for-ponytails. If you're dead-set on going the cheat route, then go ahead. We're just trying to warn you that it's unlikely to turn out good. There's a reason why no one recommends going that route. It's not like no one knows it exists, it's just not a good permanent solution. It's a quick fix if you have no alternative, but if you have the time and means to do it the right way, there's really no reason not to.
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
phantasystar67

Hey, I'm sorry about the last post. I snapped. I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated. Partially because I've been working in retail all day and had a couple of difficult customers but it isn't fair to vent that frustration here.

I tried to find a base wig and ponytail that I could afford, but none of them will be here in time for my convention. I had originally planned to buy from Epic Cosplay, but suddenly had to change plans because of financial issues, which is why I'm buying so late(cosplayanimewig will get it here just in time thankfully) so I really need to find a way to make this work. I have time to make it work, but I don't have money. I also had already purchased this wig when I made the thread... I had to to get it in time >_<

So yeah, I'm stuck with it and basically I have to make it work. Please, if you have any crazy ideas, lemme hear 'em! If I absolutely cannot make it work, I'll do some odd job or something and get that Epic Cosplay clip-in. Or make wefts from clipping the wig(it is waaaay longer than I need) somehow I suppose. Does anyone know how long that Epic Cosplay sale is going to last?
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Aurorae

Quote:
Hey, I'm sorry about the last post. I snapped. I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated. Partially because I've been working in retail all day and had a couple of difficult customers but it isn't fair to vent that frustration here.

I tried to find a base wig and ponytail that I could afford, but none of them will be here in time for my convention. I had originally planned to buy from Epic Cosplay, but suddenly had to change plans because of financial issues, which is why I'm buying so late(cosplayanimewig will get it here just in time thankfully) so I really need to find a way to make this work. I have time to make it work, but I don't have money. I also had already purchased this wig when I made the thread... I had to to get it in time >_<

So yeah, I'm stuck with it and basically I have to make it work. Please, if you have any crazy ideas, lemme hear 'em! If I absolutely cannot make it work, I'll do some odd job or something and get that Epic Cosplay clip-in. Or make wefts from clipping the wig(it is waaaay longer than I need) somehow I suppose. Does anyone know how long that Epic Cosplay sale is going to last?
No need to apologize, my reply was kind of rude... for much the same reason (day after holiday is not a fun time to work). Sorry about that. Somehow I missed where you said you were short on time/money, which... pretty much negates my last post? >< Since you already ordered the wig, definitely try faking it first. There will probably be parts where it's too thin, but since it's a black wig it might not be as noticeable, especially if your own hair is dark. On the plus side, looking at her again, her hair is kind of...loose? If that makes sense. So if you don't pull it too tight, it won't stretch as much so you'll have less of the wefting peeking through... if that makes sense? It might leave an odd bump in the back, but for Vanellope you kind of almost want that.
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
phantasystar67

I do need to apologise. You guys are trying to be helpful and I was just blowing you off and snapping. Really, I'm not such an impatient horrible person usually, I just had a lousy day. I'm sorry >_< Please forgive me.
My own hair is actually really dark brown and black and I use a black wig cap! Vanellope's ponytail is pretty loose so I think with a bit of careful draping I'll be able to hide the majority of it. I also have every craft item in the known universe besides hair wefts on hand.... It would not be out of the question for me to alter the interior using black foam or acrylic paint to cover up netting if need be. I also bought a wig MUCH longer than I need, so it would be possible for me to, instead of pulling it into a ponytail, cut it short and use the extra to make a clip-in. Do you know of any good tutorials for doing that?
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
phantasystar67

And I agree, the day after a holiday is not a good day to work! (especially if you worked the holiday and day before, all night shifts >_< My brain is so fried by the end of the day all I want is pizza and a chair!) Thank you for the advice, I really do appreciate it!
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
Mae Bliss

You could stick the candies in the places where the wefts are showing the worst, that may help a bit
Mae Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote