Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
angryshota
Idol

Colored contact issues

So I ordered a pair of colored contacts (these gorgeous blue ones) and when I first got them and popped them in my eyes, felt a little funny but totally expected since I don't wear prescription contacts. But recently I replace the solution in the contact case and whenever I put them into my eyes, they dry up extremely quick and burn like a mother.

If it isn't the solution that's drying them out, any eye drops or suggestions to keep my contacts from drying out?

Unread 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Some questions:

1.) Did you get formally fitted for lenses (even though they are only for cosmetic purposes)?
Lenses that do not fit your eyes can feel dry and irritating even if the first wear goes perfectly.

2.) What solution are you using?
One thing they normally do at formal fittings is recommend a lens solution that will not bother your eyes. Some people are more irritated by certain brands/formulations than others. Solution recommendations will vary by the type of lens you are using as well.

3.) Did you leave the lenses in the solution long enough?
New lenses generally should be soaked in cleaning solution for 8 hours before wear. If you did that beforehand, the "burning" feel sounds like you either have a damaged lens, a reaction to the solution, or your lenses are not clean.

I always advise others to solve problems at the root and not just treat symptoms. Rather than telling you to go find rewetting drops and regardless of whether or not you got a formal fitting before getting the lenses, I would suggest getting to an optometrist and getting their professional medical opinion and take your solution and the lenses with you to the appointment.

People on the internet cannot really help you as we cannot "see" you like a doctor would. The doctor can tell you if there is a problem with the lenses (whether it is sizing, damage, or incompatible material for your eyes), the solution you are using, and can recommend rewetting drops that will be ok to use with your lenses. As eyes are the most sensitive organ in your body, it is advisable to get professional help when there is a problem as it is so easy to damage them.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
angryshota
Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Some questions:

1.) Did you get formally fitted for lenses (even though they are only for cosmetic purposes)?
Lenses that do not fit your eyes can feel dry and irritating even if the first wear goes perfectly.

2.) What solution are you using?
One thing they normally do at formal fittings is recommend a lens solution that will not bother your eyes. Some people are more irritated by certain brands/formulations than others. Solution recommendations will vary by the type of lens you are using as well.

3.) Did you leave the lenses in the solution long enough?
New lenses generally should be soaked in cleaning solution for 8 hours before wear. If you did that beforehand, the "burning" feel sounds like you either have a damaged lens, a reaction to the solution, or your lenses are not clean.

I always advise others to solve problems at the root and not just treat symptoms. Rather than telling you to go find rewetting drops and regardless of whether or not you got a formal fitting before getting the lenses, I would suggest getting to an optometrist and getting their professional medical opinion and take your solution and the lenses with you to the appointment.

People on the internet cannot really help you as we cannot "see" you like a doctor would. The doctor can tell you if there is a problem with the lenses (whether it is sizing, damage, or incompatible material for your eyes), the solution you are using, and can recommend rewetting drops that will be ok to use with your lenses. As eyes are the most sensitive organ in your body, it is advisable to get professional help when there is a problem as it is so easy to damage them.
Thank you for your advice, to answer your questions I never did get formally fitted for lenses and the comfort lasted for more than the first wear. I would say it was 3-5 wears before they started to irritate me.
As for solution, I'm just using regular saline solution and I only try them on once in a while to practice putting them in about every week or so.
But it sounds to me I need to invest in some cleansing solution as well as a more gentle alternative to saline solution if that's what's causing the irritation. B/c I realized this started after I emptied my contact case of the previous solution that came with the contacts.
So I think it's either my eyes are sensitive (which I wouldn't be surprised about) or I need to properly clean my lenses.

But anyway thank you for your help and advice
it's greatly appreciated!
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshota View Post
Thank you for your advice, to answer your questions I never did get formally fitted for lenses and the comfort lasted for more than the first wear. I would say it was 3-5 wears before they started to irritate me.
As for solution, I'm just using regular saline solution and I only try them on once in a while to practice putting them in about every week or so.
But it sounds to me I need to invest in some cleansing solution as well as a more gentle alternative to saline solution if that's what's causing the irritation. B/c I realized this started after I emptied my contact case of the previous solution that came with the contacts.
So I think it's either my eyes are sensitive (which I wouldn't be surprised about) or I need to properly clean my lenses.

But anyway thank you for your help and advice
it's greatly appreciated!
Well, there's a chunk of the problem right there. Saline solution does not clean your lenses, it is more of a moisturizer and is what the lenses are initially packed in when they are manufactured. Your body should be fine with saline solution since it is formulated to mimic salt levels of the body(lolsciences). With contacts, most people use it to rinse off lenses out of the case before inserting or it can be used like a rewetting drop but it never takes the place of a cleaning solution.

Since you have mentioned you have worn the lenses more than a handful of times, you have been wearing dirty lenses ever since you opened the packages and that is at least part of the reason your eyes are mad.

Still recommend going to get fitted since you do not know if the lenses fit, take the lenses with you, and ask for a cleaning solution recommendation. Best to play it safe when your health is at stake.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

Yeah, not getting fitted is risking serious injury or blindness even if it "seems okay" now. Eyesight is so important, I would not risk it for cosplay ! Better to save up to be fitted or just hold off on the contacts until you can. I'd equate it with drunk driving on an empty road - no, you're not endangering others and you might have made it home ten times before but maybe you won't be so lucky tonight.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
angryshota
Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Well, there's a chunk of the problem right there. Saline solution does not clean your lenses, it is more of a moisturizer and is what the lenses are initially packed in when they are manufactured. Your body should be fine with saline solution since it is formulated to mimic salt levels of the body(lolsciences). With contacts, most people use it to rinse off lenses out of the case before inserting or it can be used like a rewetting drop but it never takes the place of a cleaning solution.

Since you have mentioned you have worn the lenses more than a handful of times, you have been wearing dirty lenses ever since you opened the packages and that is at least part of the reason your eyes are mad.

Still recommend going to get fitted since you do not know if the lenses fit, take the lenses with you, and ask for a cleaning solution recommendation. Best to play it safe when your health is at stake.
UPDATE:

Bought some good solution/ disinfecting solution and soaked them and they felt a whole world better than before. Although it still seems my eyes are getting dried out by them way too quickly than they did before. (note: when I tested them out for my cosplay the first time, makeup and all, they felt as if nothing was on my eye at all for about 1 1/2 hours) Now, I pop them in to do some more prep for my cosplay and they aren't cooperating for as lengthy a period as before. I just ordered re-wetting drops to see if it's just b/c the contacts are drying up on my eyes.
My eyes end up a tad bit bloodshot, while the contacts are in and they tear up.

And I know for sure my parents won't take me to an eye doctore over a pair of contacts I bought that aren't even prescription :/ So I need to figure out what this is, buy a new pair , or go without the contacts and lose a little of the effect it seems.

I'll give my eyes a break, and maybe in the days leading up to Otakon I'll stay indoors and teh pool to make sure I don't irritate my eyes.
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Talossa
We try hardcore!

If your eyes are irritated or painful, that's your body's way of telling you something's wrong.

If I were you I'd stop wearing them unless you can see a professional and find out what the issue is. You only get one pair of eyes!
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

Just because they don't offer vision correction doesn't mean they're harmless. The curvature of your eye still needs to be fitted.

If your parents don't care enough about your safety to have you fitted, DON'T WEAR WHATEVER YOU BOUGHT. I can understand that your parents might not want to spend the money - so either you do it on your own or you don't wear them. It's okay to not wear them.

Is risking going blind seriously a reasonable risk for a costume ? I personally think this is totally ridiculous and unreasonable.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Akahime
Red Princess

Or ... just don't wear contacts at all. It's okay not to have the correct eye colors for cosplay. They can always be photoshopped in and you don't lose your eyes. Sometimes in the dark it's hard to see the color anyways.

I agree with everyone else that is saying to go to the eye doctor and see if contacts are right for you. That way, you know if you can wear contacts or not. There's a chance that your may or may not have a stigma in your eye(s), that makes it impossible to wear contacts at all. If your doctor gives you an a-okay, then buy different contacts, or buy their cosmetic color contacts which they should be able to provide the usual normal colors, including violet, that'll definitely fit correctly into your eyes.

Be careful now!
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Anime Expo and Midoricon.
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote