Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Unhappy Two makeup questions

Hello all I have a couple of questions regarding makeup application and colors.
First off is a problem I have with applying liquid foundation. I think I have combination skin because even though my skin is quite oily, if I forget to apply moisturizer, my makeup (especially on my cheeks) looks for lack of a better word, kinda scaly. There's no skin flakes or anything, it just looks wrong. Also, even if I do moisturize, I can't ever put makeup on without it looking uneven. I have a few blemishes, with slightly enlarged pores and redness on my cheeks near my nose, but my skin itself is not blotchy or anything. I've tried using my fingers, a foundation brush, and a damp sponge, but nothing works. I also use primer, but it doesn't seem to do much either. What am I doing wrong? If it matters, I use either MAC Studio Fix Fluid or Make Up Forever's HD Foundation

My second question is about Ben Nye, specifically the water activated color cake foundation. I'm really pale, to the point I'm going to have to mix white foundation into my normal makeup if I ever want it to truly match. I'm looking for a shade that will match my natural pale skin without making me look, y'know, dead, or like a clown ^^ I'm thinking light ivory might work, but idk. I know I'm not being very helpful, but I'm pretty sure I either have a neutral or cool skin tone, though judging by my wrist I wonder if it's even possible to have slightly bluish undertones? Also, can that type of makeup be used on the body, or just the face?
Sorry for blabbing, I'm just not really sure how much information is needed.
Any help would be seriously appreciated, this is driving me crazy XD

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - Making armor

Faize Sheifa Beleth - Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Working on bracers, rapier
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperBlue View Post
Hello all I have a couple of questions regarding makeup application and colors.
First off is a problem I have with applying liquid foundation. I think I have combination skin because even though my skin is quite oily, if I forget to apply moisturizer, my makeup (especially on my cheeks) looks for lack of a better word, kinda scaly. There's no skin flakes or anything, it just looks wrong. Also, even if I do moisturize, I can't ever put makeup on without it looking uneven. I have a few blemishes, with slightly enlarged pores and redness on my cheeks near my nose, but my skin itself is not blotchy or anything. I've tried using my fingers, a foundation brush, and a damp sponge, but nothing works. I also use primer, but it doesn't seem to do much either. What am I doing wrong? If it matters, I use either MAC Studio Fix Fluid or Make Up Forever's HD Foundation

My second question is about Ben Nye, specifically the water activated color cake foundation. I'm really pale, to the point I'm going to have to mix white foundation into my normal makeup if I ever want it to truly match. I'm looking for a shade that will match my natural pale skin without making me look, y'know, dead, or like a clown ^^ I'm thinking light ivory might work, but idk. I know I'm not being very helpful, but I'm pretty sure I either have a neutral or cool skin tone, though judging by my wrist I wonder if it's even possible to have slightly bluish undertones? Also, can that type of makeup be used on the body, or just the face?
Sorry for blabbing, I'm just not really sure how much information is needed.
Any help would be seriously appreciated, this is driving me crazy XD
Okay, to start: is the oiliness confined to the T-zone (forehead, down the now and chin) and do you find the scalies/dry patches on your cheeks mostly? Does your skin dry out more in winter/become more oily in summer (or when it's warmer)? It sounds like combination skin and I know it's a TOTAL PAIN. If you have flakes, try exfoliating once or twice a week (or more, depending on what your skin tolerates! I can exfoliate all week without a problem haha!) When you apply your makeup, has your moisturizer fully set in? Like your skin doesn't feel tacky/sticky/"greasy" to the touch? Also, are you blending with the brush/your fingers/the sponge? Since these are liquids, you should put it on the pack of your hand or a small plastic palette (you can use a lid) then dip the brush/fingers/sponge in so you don't get too much product in one general area. What I tend to do more often now is my fingers: I do about 5 dots - forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin then blend in and spread it out slowly so I cover any "problems." And then there's powder. Always set your liquids with powder. That can't be stressed enough; use a fluffy powder brush or a small puff. Don't go overboard or it could either 1. cakey or 2. show/cling onto flakes.

As to your undertones, I don't 100% like the vein method but it does work. If you have blue and green veins, you could be more neutral overall. Any pink in your face, which might show up as redness, will lean you more towards cool. If you have more green then blue, you'll lean warmer. If there's yellow (sallow) undertones in your face, you'll definitely be more warm. If your face looks balanced in yellow/pink tones, you'll be neutral but could be neutral-warm or neutral-cool. According to MAC, W(arm) would be pink undertones and C(ool) would be yellow with N being Neutral (NW, NC). What's the overall tone of your foundation currently? Pink or yellow? Personally have never used Ben Nye (but have been in major lust over some makeup shades), but you can get a semi-decent idea of what a foundation will be like online. From the color Alcone shows for PC-02 Ivory, it has pinker undertones. Pink undertones in foundation on cool, pink skin will never blend in and actually look mask-like. I use yellow-based foundation to balance out the redness in my face (though it isn't an exact match to my face).

Have you looked for a blog review of the specific Ben Nye foundation? And what's your MUFE (Makeup Forever) shade vs your MAC shade, please?
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Haruhi13

Ooh, that's tricky! I have a similar problem- what I've found to work best is applying a light moisturizer, concentrating it in your drier areas (I personally like Neutrogena's UltraSheer Liquid Sunscreen- not really a moisturizer, but it works!) and wait for it to absorb. Waiting for it to absorb is important- if you try to apply liquid foundation directly after moisturizer, you're going to have issues. After it absorbs, apply your primer, and wait for that to sink in for a little bit before starting on your foundation. When applying your foundation, dot it on your face. I cannot emphasize this enough. Try to make your face look like it's covered in tiny polka dots, and then blend everything together with either your fingers or a brush. You can get much smoother foundation this way (plus, you'll use less of it!) If you still have issues, try using a BeautyBlender- I've heard those can work miracles.
As for colors, I would suggest a true Korean BB cream, since they run very light, and they're created for pale skin. I'm afraid I don't know much about Ben Nye, though!
Haruhi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Khorrupt

Not talking cosplay here specifically, but I have a majour problem with face makeup as well, and recently I've started using BB cream. It works really well for the "uneven" problem, and, like Haruhi13 said, dotting it on and blending it out with a brush is your best bet, and then refining lines left behind with a wet sponge. The only BB cream I've used is Revlon, and, since my skin is a medium-light tone, I'm not using the very pale one, but I must say -- it looks VERY pale.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookehdoom View Post
cut
Yep, oily in the t-zone except for my chin, with drier patches on my cheeks. And yes, it does indeed dry out more in winter. I do exfoliate either every day or every other day, so no flakes, at least. ^^ My moisturizer sets for at least 30 minutes before I begin the rest of my routine. I typically apply my makeup by putting a small amount on whatever I'm using and dabbing it in dots on my face, and then spreading it out starting at my nose and then either side. Huh, I stopped using powder (Nars in Siberia) because it definitely looked cakey. I didn't think I was using that much, but I was using the kinda dense puff it came with and not a brush, so I guess that's why. o.o

My veins are a light purple-ish blue, no green that I can see. I have a really hard time telling whether I have pink or yellow undertones, though I'm leaning more towards pink.

I did google the shade, though it was more to see if there were any pictures of it. I'll look for a review in the future. ^^;; My MUFE shade (seems a bit darker/and or pinker than the MAC) is N115, and my MAC shade, (which is a little yellower and seems to match a bit better) is NW13. They both oxidize kinda...peachy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi13 View Post
cut
Ohh, I admit I only give my primer about 2 minutes or so to soak in, due to time constraints ^^;; Guess I'll make time to do it sooner. I've never hear of a BeautyBlender but it sounds intriguing, I think I'll order one with my next Sephora order. Can't hurt, right? XD I was actually going to order a Skin79 sample pack, as soon as my card decides to play nice with the site I was going to use. x.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorrupt View Post
cut
And another vote for BB cream!~ I have a Clinique one I use on occasion and it does match quite well...until it oxidizes. *sigh*

Unread 07-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
leihsa

I think the main problem the skin type vs the brand of make up that you're using. American make up tend to look thick and unnatural on my skin, but I found that Korean make up (MISSHA/Etude House) does wonders.

My routine now is to first apply a serum to my skin to even out the skintone, and then apply a thin layer of CC Cream all over my face and then lightly massage some BB Cream over my cheeks and spots where I have blemishes/scars. CC Cream basically blends in with your skin tone and leaves a more natural looking result, and unlike BB Cream and most foundations, it doesn't look oily after a few hours. BB Cream is pretty much the Korean version of liquid foundation. If you have an oily skin type, don't put it on your nose.

I hope this helped!
leihsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Yep, oily in the t-zone except for my chin, with drier patches on my cheeks. And yes, it does indeed dry out more in winter. I do exfoliate either every day or every other day, so no flakes, at least. ^^ My moisturizer sets for at least 30 minutes before I begin the rest of my routine. I typically apply my makeup by putting a small amount on whatever I'm using and dabbing it in dots on my face, and then spreading it out starting at my nose and then either side. Huh, I stopped using powder (Nars in Siberia) because it definitely looked cakey. I didn't think I was using that much, but I was using the kinda dense puff it came with and not a brush, so I guess that's why. o.o

My veins are a light purple-ish blue, no green that I can see. I have a really hard time telling whether I have pink or yellow undertones, though I'm leaning more towards pink.

I did google the shade, though it was more to see if there were any pictures of it. I'll look for a review in the future. ^^;; My MUFE shade (seems a bit darker/and or pinker than the MAC) is N115, and my MAC shade, (which is a little yellower and seems to match a bit better) is NW13. They both oxidize kinda...peachy though.
You're definitely combination, which can become combination-dry in the winter and combination-oil in the warmer months. Focusing your moisturizer on the dryer areas can and will help, so long you don't have flakes left behind before because they'll just get covered up. Puffs can easily pick up too much product (WHY PUFF, WHY?), but brushes you can see how much it picks up. I have a sponge in a powder compact that does okay for touch ups or when I really need that heavy coverage. But powder over your liquid/BB/whatever foundation you use, will help it stick around and reduce the "stickiness" that can be left over.

You probably are cool-toned, like me. I have literal purple veins, blue veins and a few green veins (rainbow veins?). You'll probably notice your undertones if you hold up a white piece of paper under your face/next to your face or wear a white shirt in good lighting such as outdoors.

I can definitely see why you find your foundations becoming peachy. The MAC looks to have golden tones on their website and in swatches whereas the MUFE looks a bit peachy-yellow in swatches but looks pinky-greige (grey+beige) on Sephora. How well do they look on your bare face? Swatching on your jaw works well enough to determine if its close enough to being natural. MUFE 110 seems too pink for cool undertones.u
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by leihsa View Post
I think the main problem the skin type vs the brand of make up that you're using. American make up tend to look thick and unnatural on my skin, but I found that Korean make up (MISSHA/Etude House) does wonders.

My routine now is to first apply a serum to my skin to even out the skintone, and then apply a thin layer of CC Cream all over my face and then lightly massage some BB Cream over my cheeks and spots where I have blemishes/scars. CC Cream basically blends in with your skin tone and leaves a more natural looking result, and unlike BB Cream and most foundations, it doesn't look oily after a few hours. BB Cream is pretty much the Korean version of liquid foundation. If you have an oily skin type, don't put it on your nose.

I hope this helped!
It has helped, thank you ^^ I've never heard of CC cream before, sounds like something I'll be trying. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your BB/CC cream?

Quote:

I can definitely see why you find your foundations becoming peachy. The MAC looks to have golden tones on their website and in swatches whereas the MUFE looks a bit peachy-yellow in swatches but looks pinky-greige (grey+beige) on Sephora. How well do they look on your bare face? Swatching on your jaw works well enough to determine if its close enough to being natural. MUFE 110 seems too pink for cool undertones.u
Well, frankly, it's kinda hard to tell too much of a difference between the two, especially on camera ^^;; They definitely don't blend in though, that much is obvious. If I were to mix one of these with white foundation, would it help at all or would I definitely have to figure out what my undertone is first? I tried asking what shade would be best at both Sephora and MAC, but, obviously, I still never get the right color.

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Well, frankly, it's kinda hard to tell too much of a difference between the two, especially on camera ^^;; They definitely don't blend in though, that much is obvious. If I were to mix one of these with white foundation, would it help at all or would I definitely have to figure out what my undertone is first? I tried asking what shade would be best at both Sephora and MAC, but, obviously, I still never get the right color.
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier White foundation is always a method to lighten a foundation! (Wish I could find some -_-; ) It won't change the foundation's undertones but it will change the color to be lighter. It's definitely worth a shot if you're comfortable with doing it. I, to be honest, hate MAC because they're way too busy for their client base and as much as I love Sephora, I know they aren't helpful very often. >_< You should still figure out your undertone because it can really help with other aspects of makeup! Something I learned way later... It isn't necessary but it's certainly helpful.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Quote:
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier White foundation is always a method to lighten a foundation! (Wish I could find some -_-; ) It won't change the foundation's undertones but it will change the color to be lighter. It's definitely worth a shot if you're comfortable with doing it. I, to be honest, hate MAC because they're way too busy for their client base and as much as I love Sephora, I know they aren't helpful very often. >_< You should still figure out your undertone because it can really help with other aspects of makeup! Something I learned way later... It isn't necessary but it's certainly helpful.
Oh, it's fine ^^ Thank you for the advice, you've been very helpful~

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Oh, it's fine ^^ Thank you for the advice, you've been very helpful~
You're welcome Feel free to ask anything if you need anything in the future ~

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.