Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
Laurihime09

What is better in cosplay?

I have a general question to pose for everyone...Is it better to have a cosplay outfit that is an interpretation and is hand made or to have something store bought?

With both they come out not being exact, but if you spend the big bucks you can get the really good outfits that are more "authentic".

I guess im just wondering what is more respected: time/effort or authenticity
Laurihime09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
mqnania
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurihime09 View Post
I have a general question to pose for everyone...Is it better to have a cosplay outfit that is an interpretation and is hand made or to have something store bought?

With both they come out not being exact, but if you spend the big bucks you can get the really good outfits that are more "authentic".

Do you mean making your cosplay yourself vs commission someone else to make it or buying a pre-made one online?

I mean honestly whether your cosplay is hand-made by you or someone else or store-bought people shouldn't treat you any differently. Obviously though if someone likes your cosplay and you made it yourself, you will get a bit more "respect" for lack of a better term, than if you bought it online. I understand you still had to earn that money someone to buy said cosplay but a good example I saw in a thread related to this is someone getting more admiration for making a piece of art instead of just buying it.

Not that buying cosplays are a BAD thing. You can still purchase from a commissioner or online and awesome cosplay and you will still have fun and people will still be all, "HEY AWESOME COSPLAY" and things of the like.

And there are people who will always be all about accuracy as well, but unless you're entering in a contest I wouldn't worry about it. If someone complains at you about it then that's they're problem. As long as you feel great and are having fun who cares?

Basically, you'll get the same amount of attention either way, just a bit more "respect" for hand-making something. So unless you want to hand make it just to say you can or enter in a contest it's all up to your personal preference. I don't think there's always one that's better than the other, it's all up to you and what you want to do. Do what will be the most fun for you and will make you happy, cause in cosplay that's what matters, IMO.

2014 Con Schedule:
Naka kon-Anime Central-Anime Nebraskon

Anime Nebraskon 2014 Cosplays:
-Brachydios Blademaster Armor from MH3U: 5%
-Firefox Ahri from League of Legends: 10%
-Ryuko Mataoi from Kill La Kill: 75%
-Angela from Guardian of the Galaxy: 0%
mqnania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurihime09 View Post

Cosplay first impressions are visual. Does it look nice? After that there are all sorts of factors and they are different for everyone. The same for any hobby where you dress up from Ren Faire to Steampunk. The real question, what are you happy with? As already said the only time bought versus homemade should make a difference is if your entering a contest. Then, unless your under 13, you should make it. Accurate is just one aspect of cosplay. There is also creativity, quality, character, effort... For me I look to see how comfortable someone is in their cosplay. Have they made it their own. Another member of my group can always find one positive think about a cosplay and complement the cosplayer about that.

Just don't buy a cosplay and say you made it. That's as bad as buying baked goods from as store and saying it's homemade.
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
McManray
McManray-Cosplay Vagabond

This coming GenCon will be my second. I love gaming and costuming, but being my last year I was a little out of my element having only done smaller anime cons in the past.
McManray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McManray View Post
This coming GenCon will be my second. I love gaming and costuming, but being my last year I was a little out of my element having only done smaller anime cons in the past.
Most people who go to GenCon are knocked off their feet by the sea of humanity their first year. Most of my group either ended up spending all their time in the main hall or anime room their first year. I myself did partake of a game till my third or four year. And two years ago was my first panel/workshop. Don't feel bad.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
rajamitsu

I gotta agree. I usually tell friends that they need to go one year just to get their bearings. The next year goes much more smoothly.

Heck, I've been going since '08 and I'm still discovering new things. Last year, it was the glory that is TOVA. This year, I'll be trying out the Killer Breakfast. So excited about that. Been wanting to do it for a while now.

Still not 100% sure what I'll be doing cosplay-wise. Hoping to get my Pathfinder bard ready. I pretty much just need a coat and a wig. I've got the rest.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu View Post
I gotta agree. I usually tell friends that they need to go one year just to get their bearings. The next year goes much more smoothly.

Heck, I've been going since '08 and I'm still discovering new things. Last year, it was the glory that is TOVA. This year, I'll be trying out the Killer Breakfast. So excited about that. Been wanting to do it for a while now.

Still not 100% sure what I'll be doing cosplay-wise. Hoping to get my Pathfinder bard ready. I pretty much just need a coat and a wig. I've got the rest.
I was at the 40th year Killer Breakfast. It was a hoot. Sorry there isn't going to be a Queen of Geeks this year. If you like Pathfinder, have you every been to the True Dungeon? That is the best when you are with friends.

What is TOVA?
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #23
rajamitsu

I've done True Dungeon twice. Did a beginner's round with my husband and a group of random people a couple years ago and had a blast. Did it last year with a couple friends who organized a group. It... didn't go as well. I got stained (unable to be healed) in the second room, died in the next, and spent most of the run parked a corner. I'll probably give it another shot one of these days, but not this year.

TOVA is the "Things, Oddities, Video, and Art" auction. There's a lot of neat, random stuff that goes up and the auctioneers have a lot of fun with it. I didn't end up winning the few items I did end up bidding on, but it was still a lot of fun just watching.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Oh, I didn't know the auction had a name.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
rajamitsu

There's different auctions for different types of things. TOVA's the "everything else/anything goes" auction.
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

You'll have to show me where that is. The auction I found had a buy it now/ store side.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #27
Alice_Alamort
Vocaloid Obsessed Idiot

I'm going to Gencon~!!
I have gone before but this will be my first time going all four days. @_@ (I've only got 1 day badges in the past) Super excited but not quite sure what I'll be cosplaying yet. Probably for one day Matryoshka Luka from Vocaloid, maybe Deidara from Naruto another day, maybe Izaya from Drrr, and maybe Hibari from KHR. Like I said I have no idea really yet LOL. I'm more of an anime convention person, I do enjoy video games and play them a decent amount, but I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a gamer. XDDD I feel a little out of place at gaming conventions, and I just wish I had cosplays from video games to cosplay at it. :/

Matryoshka Luka (Vocaloid) (DONE)
Izaya Orihara (DRRR!!) (DONE)
Kimono vers Luka (DONE)
Kaito- The Lost Memory (Vocaloid)
Matryoshka Kaito (Vocaloid)
Crona (Soul Eater)
TYL Belphegor (KHR)
Rin (Ao no Exorcist)
Aido (Vampire Knight)

Future Conventions

Gencon 2013
Matsuricon 2013 (Maybe but unlikely)
Ramencon 2013
Kollisioncon 2013 (maybe)
Anime Crossroads 2013 (maybe)

Last edited by Alice_Alamort : 07-23-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Alice_Alamort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #28
rajamitsu

@Ororo - That's the room. They've got different types and categories of auctions going on at different times. I think TOVA was the same time as the masquerade last year. The schedule was outside the door last year.

@Alice - Gen Con is more of a board/pen-an-paper gaming convention. There isn't a lot of video game stuff. Dice everywhere! I've found that people are just happy to see cosplayers at the con. Doesn't really matter what they're from.
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Alamort View Post
I'm going to Gencon~!!
I have gone before but this will be my first time going all four days. @_@ (I've only got 1 day badges in the past) Super excited but not quite sure what I'll be cosplaying yet. Probably for one day Matryoshka Luka from Vocaloid, maybe Deidara from Naruto another day, maybe Izaya from Drrr, and maybe Hibari from KHR. Like I said I have no idea really yet LOL. I'm more of an anime convention person, I do enjoy video games and play them a decent amount, but I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a gamer. XDDD I feel a little out of place at gaming conventions, and I just wish I had cosplays from video games to cosplay at it. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamitsu View Post
@Ororo - That's the room. They've got different types and categories of auctions going on at different times. I think TOVA was the same time as the masquerade last year. The schedule was outside the door last year.

@Alice - Gen Con is more of a board/pen-an-paper gaming convention. There isn't a lot of video game stuff. Dice everywhere! I've found that people are just happy to see cosplayers at the con. Doesn't really matter what they're from.
And there is also the Anime Hall.
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Shot out. When do you not have something planned? I'd like to suggest a meet and greet.