Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
CrazyColetrain

Maya cosplay help!

Hey guys
I would love to work on a Maya Costume from Borderlands 2 but wouldn't know where to get started. If anyone can help, with what materials I need etc, I have an idea on what to do but I would love some help I am new to this too so it would be my first one.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it, thanks
CrazyColetrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
mqnania
Baller

OMG I JUST TYPED OUT A BUNCHA STUFF AND I ACCIDENTALLY CLOSED THE TAB GAH

Also since youíre new Iíll just let you know this would be a better question for the Cosplay Construction section probably under Costuming since itís more sewing than anything.

Reference photos help too when asking cause not everyone will know the character: http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...mp-d5fq8if.jpg

But anyhow D8 My friend and I did a Maya/Lilith cosplay recently and I helped her out with the bodysuit. That, for us, was the hardest part. If this is your first costume Iíd recommend taking your time. Itís not something thatís impossible to do if itís your first costume. I sewed Angel from Borderlands 2 from scratch and it was the first costume I had ever sewn from scratch and it was my first time working with spandex/lycra.

We started by finding a pattern at the fabric store for a leotard with long sleeves and a high neck. She bought yellow/black lycra swimsuit material. She had to double up on the yellow so it wasnít see through but you may be able to get some swimsuit lining as well, but doubling up worked fine. She basically made the suit sans sleeves/neck in all yellow. I then drew the lines where the black should sit on the suit while she wore it so we knew how it would sit on her. She then cut away the yellow where we would sew the black, pinned the black and sewed it on. The sleeve she made out of black, and the yellow bits on there we did stupidly the day of the convention and it was a pain. What we SHOULíVE done is pretty much the same method as the suit itself. I patterned the yellow bits out of paper while she wore the sleeve, the yellow part around her elbow was a pain. Iíd recommend not sewing the sleeve all the way closed cause we had to undo it to sew on the yellow then stitch it back up again XP

For the gray bits we were going to try dying white swimsuit fabric but it turned out a flesh color instead of gray for some strange reason. We instead bought a silver paint pen and painted/drew the lines and it worked great. I wished I wouldíve made them thicker and paid attention a bit more cause I messed up where the lines went around the chest area (day of the con/lack of sleep/only one paint pen XD ). Then for the Borderlandsness I just used a Sharpie and went to town. I didnít get time to finish the whole suit and I keep wanting to fix it but my friend is all LOL NO I LIKE IT HOW IT IS so yeah XD

This tutorial for appliquťs may help a bit :
http://crashcult.blogspot.com/2011/0...-tutorial.html

Hereís her completed cosplay:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3401479/

Sewing stretchy material SUCKS. If you have a machine, make sure that you have a ballpoint needle. It will help tremendously. Second, use a stretch stitch option. If you donít have one like I do, I just stretched the fabric, sewed what I stretched, stop, stretch, and repeat. Otherwise, everything else about the cosplay was pretty much thrifting. My friend got blue jeans and dyed them the right color and dyed some cheap white fabric gray for the gray bits.

I hope this helped some and good luck and ALL THE BORDERLANDS 8D

2014 Con Schedule:
Naka kon-Anime Central-Anime Nebraskon

Anime Nebraskon 2014 Cosplays:
-Brachydios Blademaster Armor from MH3U: 5%
-Firefox Ahri from League of Legends: 0%
-Ryuko Mataoi from Kill La Kill: 65%
-SECRET: 0%
-Angela from Guardian of the Galaxy: 0%
mqnania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Hey!
I'm in the middle of making a Maya too. I scrounged around and found some great Maya cosplayers out there, and all of them have been more than happy to answer questions for me.

This page is translated from Spanish, but Nebulaluben is one of my favourites, and she has a few great posts on how she put hers together. You can also find her on DeviantArt, I PMed her on there and she was great.

Lithium also has a small photo tutorial not too far down her page on how she put together her body suit.

As far as fabrics go, I'm using something called scuba knit, which is something like two layers of spandex, so it's got a good thickness without worrying about layers bunching. I'm using yellow and silver spandex, as well as a sort of fishnet mesh for some of the detail.
My pants are made from a one-way stretch suiting material that has a nice gentle gloss to it, with grey suiting for the pockets/side details.

As far as tattoos go, there are heaps of brands out there, but I suggest an ink or liquid body paint, as it makes it worlds easier to get it looking even.

I made her class mod out of a box-that-looks-like-a-book, and kept it functional for storing things in at conventions.

For weapons, NERF are an excellent and cheap place to start, but I have a pet peeve after seeing so many cosplayers with poorly painted, unmodified Nerf. So if you do go there, consider cutting and gluing your gun, sanding off the NERF logo, and using a good paint scheme.

If you need reference images, I have some great, decently high-res ones that I'm happy to share.
If you'd like to be pointed in the direction of a couple of great wigs, I'm happy to share that too.

Hope that helps a bit. Happy to answer more questions or help along the way if you need it.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
CrazyColetrain

Thanks this helps a lot, thanks Do you know where I could buy a cheap wig from? I'm from England so cheap postage would be helpful too! thanks.
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I'm only linking from eBay Aus, but Nebulaluben used this wig and I was planning on using it too, but decided to buy an Arda wig instead. Check the link I gave you before, it shows what she did to her wig. She basically only had to trim the sides to be even, and then decided to darken the hair a little.

Edit: Search for that wig on UK eBay, you may find one that's cheaper. There's a half dozen shops coming up for me that sell it.
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
CrazyColetrain

Okay thank you. Is there any tips you could give me about making a Lilith costume? My sister wants to make that one, any tips or anything you can give me help please? Thanks again c:
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Nostrum
R4Hscal

That depends on whether she wants to do BL1 or BL2 Lilith. I can walk you through BL1 Lilith, but I haven't gotten around to making BL2 pieces yet.

mqnania lists BL2 Lilith in her signature as a costume in progress, so she might be able to help more than me on that.
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
CrazyColetrain

It's mainly the little brown jacket that she is having trouble with and the shin plates, she is doing the first lilith costume