Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Inside-Nom

Altering Zentai Suit/Painting?

Hello I had a question I wasn't sure were exactly it fit so I posted it here:
I have a white Zentai suit with a zipper that runs up through the head piece of it. I actually need to cut off the head piece, but I'm sort of hesitant on doing that as I'm not sure if the zipper would just fall apart if I cut through it? I was wondering if anyone had experience with Zentai suits or how to cut a zipper? Also I was wondering what paint would be best to use on the suit. I'm not sure what brand to use, but I did hear it would be best to paint it with a sponge or foam brush as it leaves less marks and needs less coating to seem soild.
Anyway, any help is appreciated please and thank you.
Death the Kid (Soul Eater) - 99.8% - [Fix Prop]
Midna (Legend of Zelda) - 90% - [Fix Headpeice]
England (Hetalia) - 100%
Lolita Outfit (Random) - 100%
Inside-Nom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

I was actually wanting to know this myself, I'll be getting a green Zentai suit and will be needing to add some spots on it and have no idea how.
As for your zipper problem I found this
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/forum...&ThreadID=4250
It should help give you some ideas
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
SapphireChaos

I just did this for my zentai suit and my friend gave me some advice. This is what I did:
1. Pull the zipper down to a little bit past where you want to cut
2. Cut the head part off
3. Sew/hem the cut area, but make sure you do not sew over the actual zipper or else it won't be able to zip/unzip, obviously.
If you do that, the zipper will still be able to zip up and down. I hope that helps ^^

As for the paint, I've heard that using an airbrush is best, but not everyone has access to one. I would suggest taking a scrap piece of your zentai suit (or a similar material) and test out paints to see which works best. I would assume fabric paint or acrylic paint would be best, but I don't have experience with painting zentai suits so I'm not positive.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Inside-Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireChaos View Post
I just did this for my zentai suit and my friend gave me some advice. This is what I did:
1. Pull the zipper down to a little bit past where you want to cut
2. Cut the head part off
3. Sew/hem the cut area, but make sure you do not sew over the actual zipper or else it won't be able to zip/unzip, obviously.
If you do that, the zipper will still be able to zip up and down. I hope that helps ^^

As for the paint, I've heard that using an airbrush is best, but not everyone has access to one. I would suggest taking a scrap piece of your zentai suit (or a similar material) and test out paints to see which works best. I would assume fabric paint or acrylic paint would be best, but I don't have experience with painting zentai suits so I'm not positive.
Thank You For This ^-^.
So basically I would just cut off the head piece and zipper on the head piece then sew/hem is so that the zipper will not come off? [See I was afraid if I cut the zipper then it would just fall apart, but again this is my first time dealing with a Zentai.] I don't have access to airbrush so I was going to go for fabric paint, hopefully it will come out alright. Thank you very much ^-^.
England (Hetalia) - 100%
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Pebeo fabric paints work wonderfully on any kind of fabric, so I'd totally suggest that! I'm planning to paint a complete zentai suit myself, and will use these paints. They come in every color and can be mixed, too. Paint with a normal brush, a small one if you want to be very careful, and add a few coats. How big an area are you going to paint? Even if it's a rather small one, you should stuff the suit while painting it to make sure it fits you when the paint is dry.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Inside-Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
Pebeo fabric paints work wonderfully on any kind of fabric, so I'd totally suggest that! I'm planning to paint a complete zentai suit myself, and will use these paints. They come in every color and can be mixed, too. Paint with a normal brush, a small one if you want to be very careful, and add a few coats. How big an area are you going to paint? Even if it's a rather small one, you should stuff the suit while painting it to make sure it fits you when the paint is dry.
Thank You ^-^ I will check out these paints.
I'm going to need to paint a good portion of the suit, so I was thinking a small paint brush might not be the best option for me since it will be a large area. Also as for painting it I was going to have someone wear the suit while I painted it, but is stuffing it better? owo
England (Hetalia) - 100%
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Viveeh
necrocarnival

It's the same, whichever you're more comfortable with.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I've used jacquard textile inks on nylon lycra unitards for CATS. They're really nice.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Misc.Cosplay
I don't even know--

If you are worried about the zipper fraying at the top, and coming apart? Go to a fabric store and find some small metal clasp used for necklaces. Turn down a piece of the zipper at the top, clamp it with the metal clasp, and then sew over the exposed edges to keep it from rubbing, and scraping you. It will also keep the fabric holding the actual plastic/metal teeth from fraying and coming loose from the suit.

--2014/15--
Đяяя!!--``Izαα
Tσкүσ Gнσυℓ--``Ůţ
ĐMMĐ--``Ņz
Misc.Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
zentaitime

If you trend to cut off the hood, when you buy the zentai suit, you can choose the removeable hood, and then, you don't need to worry about this problem.
zentaitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I cut the head off mine, but cut out around the zipper to leave it intact. There's an extra 8 inches or so of zipper left dangling; I just tuck it down into the neck.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote