Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 05-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
NakedSalad
Space Cowboy

Esther Ni No Kuni Cosplay Help

Hey!

I'm going to be cosplaying Esther from Ni no Kuni for a con in the UK in August with my friend cosplaying Oliver and as I'm about to finish my 3rd year of my degree, I now have the time, and the funds to make it myself! Woo!

I usually commission most of my items and make bits and pieces, like skirts, props, necklaces, etc etc.

Lots of my friends are really experienced, and some even well known UK cosplayers so I'd like to really impress them with my work on Esther! But where do I begin?

I can hand sew, use a machine, I have a machine. But I'm wondering if there's perhaps patterns anyone would suggest for bits of it? (Although I've bought patterns in the past I'm really bad at actually understanding how to use them still.. x.x )

I had the idea of using a tutorial for bloomers but adding length for the trousers, using bondaweb for the line across the skirt.

But what to do for the top?

Any advice, help, links to patterns, etc, would be amazing!

I'm basically still a cosplay newbie despite starting in 2010, just as I've never had the time or motivation to properly get stuck in!

Reference.
Julia - FFVIII (Dress for Distant Worlds.)
Anju - TLoZ: Majora's Mask. (AyaCon 2013.)
Lucy Stillman - AC: Brotherhood. (AyaCon 2013.)
NakedSalad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

The top looks like an Indian choli top. Another option is to find a dress pattern that's empire waist, and use the top portion only. Then add the sleeves.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

For the stripes I would say do applique - it will be more technically polished and less likely to peel / fall off / stuff like that. If you are careful and use seam allowance, clip, and turn it under, and blind-stitch it on (you can potentially do one side normally with the machine, it will look absolutely seamless.

As for the pink pants, I think your bloomers idea would be good. If you want the ankle things to look more metallic you could use attachments and have a Craft foam/Wonderflex/Worbla piece that you paint, also a good idea for the wrist bands. If you don't want to work with that, I think that cleanly sewing something like lamé fabric cleanly would produce a polished look - the artwork is cartoony so I don't think it would suffer from that approach in construction.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
NakedSalad
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
For the stripes I would say do applique - it will be more technically polished and less likely to peel / fall off / stuff like that. If you are careful and use seam allowance, clip, and turn it under, and blind-stitch it on (you can potentially do one side normally with the machine, it will look absolutely seamless.

As for the pink pants, I think your bloomers idea would be good. If you want the ankle things to look more metallic you could use attachments and have a Craft foam/Wonderflex/Worbla piece that you paint, also a good idea for the wrist bands. If you don't want to work with that, I think that cleanly sewing something like lamé fabric cleanly would produce a polished look - the artwork is cartoony so I don't think it would suffer from that approach in construction.
Thank you so much for your help! It's really appreciated!

I'm now doing her for September and I'm really excited to go fabric shopping and get started!
Julia - FFVIII (Dress for Distant Worlds.)
Anju - TLoZ: Majora's Mask. (AyaCon 2013.)
Lucy Stillman - AC: Brotherhood. (AyaCon 2013.)
NakedSalad is offline   Reply With Quote