Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #286
Aces

muh Jon Snow.
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #287
rubywings

So I'm late to this party, but I just Marathi Ned the whole series in three days and fell in love. Margaery is my favorite character, and I love her season three dresses, but the sacking of Astapor is my favorite scene (I even learned the Valyrian), and I also adore Daenerys's season three costume. I'm not sure which I'd be better suited for, so I hoped it would be alright to ask for opinions here. If it's not, please delete this, but here's a photo of me

Thoughts? Thanks in advance if you reply, and apologies in advance if this isn't allowed!
rubywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #288
Kelley
Devil of Details

@Aces, when winter comes you gotta get some awesome outside pictures !

@rubywings, gut reaction I'd say Daenerys - but it's up to you and what you'd have more fun doing and what you want to commit to making (and you could also factor in if you are leaning toward Show or Book interpretation - because I would say Margaery if just going by book and not considering the actresses and aesthetic choices that the Show has made). And also what you have the budget for and what you think would best fit in your skill level.

--

This is my first time doing embroidery if you can't tell.

On one hand I kind of hate this, on the other I get to watch the X Files. On the other hand, I think it's going to take me the better part of an entire season just to get through the row of geometric designs on the bottom, although the leaf/vine part should not be as bad.

Also, the fact that the stitches are somewhat uneven and imperfect is totally okay because it like that in close-ups. I guess Arya made it.

I think I should probably stop outlining the things - I don't think they are, they look flatter. But I suppose I could also iron it.

Edit : Added another one today - two more X Files. I considered re-watching the GoT series while doing this but I'm pretty sure that Joffrey makes me angry enough that I shouldn't be handling sharp pointy things while doing that.

I'm finding myself looking forward to doing this embroidery business. I think I'm a masochist.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan

Last edited by Kelley : 07-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #289
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

I thik it looks really good Kelley, especially for a first time. Wishing you luck with having the patience to finish it (and with minimal hand cramps XD)
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #290
Memelander815

Hey I'm new to this Cosplay thing but since my town is having their very first comic con later this year my sister and I decided on GoT for it. I will be making both costumes my sister is going as Daenerys (one of her S1 Dothraki outfits) and I am going as the Hound and I'm hoping to be able to make his helm as that is my favorite piece of his look. I'll be sure and keep you up to date on how it is going.
Memelander815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #291
asthompson
僕のク&

Mmm, more Joffrey progress. :3

Lining against fabric: http://lastoryx.com/pictures/1.jpg
My pretty evil mug w/ crown and the start of the doublet: http://lastoryx.com/pictures/2.jpg
Back alignment :3: http://lastoryx.com/pictures/3.jpg
Test collar - needs refining but I'll show you my weak underbelly mid-sewing: http://lastoryx.com/pictures/4.jpg

Follow my continuing evil progress here: https://www.facebook.com/sockren

Sakura Con 2014:
Edward Kenway - Assassin's Creed 4
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)

Last edited by asthompson : 07-18-2013 at 06:33 AM.
asthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #292
asthompson
僕のク&

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyd View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'd never thought of using particle board. Do you think I'd be able to achieve that hammered metal look from MDF board, paint, and rub n buff? If so, how?

Thanks again, this has been really helpful
I like Ammmnra's tips for creating a weathered looking piece (grunging stuff up) which is what I assume you mean.

First, sand the piece with something gritty to give it some texture and personality (opinion, don't take this as the Bible).

Paint it in black first - I always use black for a base-coat. Then, paint a single layer of gold acrylic. Then, rub and buff it. Be uneven if you want it antiquey looking. For a look with character, try pressing "cuts" or dents into it (put some pebbles on it and pound them in with a hammer and pick them out or use a blade to create jagged cuts or nicks) and then smoothing them over in rub and buff the way it appears in the show. You may decide you like it best smooth.

Next, weather it. Take the paint brush and paint some black acrylic on your hands (not too much, just a dab). Clean your paint brush, dip it in water and paint water onto your hands so you're all messy. Slap your hands together and rub it around.

Next, molest your piece. Get it nice and gunked up. Feel it up - every nook and cranny. When you're done, use a final layer of gold rub and buff to even out the color or cover up any spots that are too dirty.

Seal it with a spray paint seal if you want a shiny finish or just rock it as is.

Sakura Con 2014:
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #293
Kelley
Devil of Details

@Memelander815, Good luck! Check out the prop forum, someone posted an AMAZING helm for The Hound recently.

@asthompson, looking good so far!

@MaiSheri, thanks! I think the hardest part will be finishing this sleeve and having to start over.

Actually in the pipes:

Last edited by Kelley : 07-20-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #294
asthompson
僕のク&

Moar Joffrey

Woot! Costest at the Sakura Con cosplay parade. I need to darken the wig, cut it shorter, lose about 10 lbs, fix the armcape, add buttons to the front and build armor. Ahhhh, work never done. It was still a blast to wear!!! I think it's good enough to hop over to the EMP and get my ass on the iron throne. Fully lined - pattern matched mmmmm I done good.

Photo by JC Ignacio.

Sakura Con 2014:
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #295
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

I'm dying to make Sana's wedding dress, but I am having a really hard time finding the fabric. it's obviously a damask fabric, but I can't fine anything in the right color in a design that is anywhere close (I swear I've seen something similar somewhere). anyone found anything close yet?
here's some pictures to jog your memory:

Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #296
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Since I'm starting to be active here on this site again, figured I might as well post here! I cosplay as Littlefinger, specifically from the Season 2 episode Garden of Bones, more specifically from the scene in Catelyn's tent where Petyr almost loses his throat. And now, since sharing is caring:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/458677/

Still have some things to fix. First off, the mockingbird pin cracked in half when I wore it to A-Kon, so that needs to be fixed. Secondly, the tunic is too olive, not nearly dark enough. Sadly, this is after dyeing the fabric twice. Thirdly, I need to find a way to walk with three yards of silk chiffon attached to my shoulder and 14 hooks and eyes holding my tunic shut that doesn't involve feeling like there is a rod rammed up my butt. Last of all, the undergament is too blue. I need to distress it, I ran out of time before the last con. Jury is still out on whether or not this will all be fixed by the next con I am wearing this to (San Japan in August). We shall see, I suppose.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Abaddon, The Doctor, Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, Darth Revan and The Mighty Monarch
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #297
Kelley
Devil of Details

Look at the adorable evil people. <3

@asthompson, I don't know how tall/broad you are (you mentioned wanting to minimise it), but be it the pattern, scale of the fabric pattern, or whatever - it works !

@Biscuit, I think your best bet is like what asthompson did - looking at fabric stores in person. I've noticed that the different JoAnn's in my area have different stock and may or may not be what they have on-line.

However, I just checked my usual places and saw this...

I don't know how much fabric you'll need for the whole dress, but this fabric is pretty good. They only have 5 yards, but you could e-mail them and ask if they are able to get more or will be restocking (I've bought from them multiple times and they are very nice !).

However, here's a link to some close ups - and you can see that once again the colours in real life are a bit difrerent than you see in post-processing - so it's up to you which and how you want to choose.

@Yazoo_the_Kazoo, what is the fabric made out of (cotton, rayon, polyester, etc) ? What dyes have you tried and was it done in a washing machine or another way ? What kind of hook-and-eyes did you use ? The ones that come in the little plastic containers are JoAnn's are evil - the hook-and-eye tape like this tends to be much sturdier. Other options are creating an internal placket that holds either lacing, ties, or even buttons or snaps or something - heck, even a zipper (if you stagger it, it will be absolutely invisible).

I'd pin the sash at several points (not just the shoulder). It will still be physically in the way of your leg, but at least you won't have to worry about it falling off. Those tiny gold safety pins would be perfect - pins were actually used quite a lot historically, too.

Not sure what colour the under-part is supposed to be, but it's possible you could dip it in the dye when you re-dye the top. Not leaving it in for the whole time, just staining it. Something about birds and stones, you know.

I finished the first band of embroidery :

I'll be drawing the other one on tonight onto the other sleeve - I decided to do the "more tedious" parts first rather than immediately do the vines on this one and then have to start completely over.

And I did a bit with my Spoonflower file :

In case no one knows why I'm doing this Reference Picture. The embroidery that's done is the part you can barely see.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #298
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
@Yazoo_the_Kazoo, what is the fabric made out of (cotton, rayon, polyester, etc) ? What dyes have you tried and was it done in a washing machine or another way ? What kind of hook-and-eyes did you use ? The ones that come in the little plastic containers are JoAnn's are evil - the hook-and-eye tape like this tends to be much sturdier. Other options are creating an internal placket that holds either lacing, ties, or even buttons or snaps or something - heck, even a zipper (if you stagger it, it will be absolutely invisible).

I'd pin the sash at several points (not just the shoulder). It will still be physically in the way of your leg, but at least you won't have to worry about it falling off. Those tiny gold safety pins would be perfect - pins were actually used quite a lot historically, too.

Not sure what colour the under-part is supposed to be, but it's possible you could dip it in the dye when you re-dye the top. Not leaving it in for the whole time, just staining it. Something about birds and stones, you know.
The fabric is a cotton weave, and both times I've dyed it stovetop in a gigantic pot with Jacquard dye, which I've found to be quite dependable typically, this fabric just needs a lot of encouragement, I suppose. They are individual hooks and eyes (the site I bought the fabric from didn't carry tape), and they aren't the hugest problem, but I might switch them out. I do want to stick to hooks and eyes though, as that is what they use on Aiden Gillen's costume.
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...3-1024-768.png
I know, no one sees it. I'm a glutton for punishment.
The chiffon sash is held on at several points, it's just cumbersome by nature. Slightly heavy, it catches on things as you walk by, even when pinned it kind of shifts, if you sit or bend down you typically stand on it accidentally and nearly kill yourself when you fall back to the ground...
As for the undergarment, the one with this tunic is supposed to be a distressed sort of steel blue. The gauze I bought actually was supposed to be steel blue, I was very surprised when it arrived and it was turquoise (he does have an outfit where his under- tunic is turquoise, but it's a season 3 outfit, not this one). I have the dye, I just need to stop being lazy about it.

Edit: Ignore that picture I posted, it is the one I was looking for,, but not nearly high enough resolution to show what I'm talking about, I'm on my iPad, I don't have my reference folder with me.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Abaddon, The Doctor, Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, Darth Revan and The Mighty Monarch

Last edited by Yazoo_the_Kazoo : 07-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #299
myalchod
reflections and dreams

If your fabric is a cotton, consider trying fibre-reactive dyes (not sure what Jacquard dye you're using -- I'm accustomed to their acid dye, which is not so much useful for cotton). I've used it a bunch of times with excellent results.

(And as I type this, my embroidery for Cat's cloak trim sits on the table next to me and mocks me. Dear work, give me proper lunch breaks so I can work on this ...)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #300
Kelley
Devil of Details

@myalchod, Post embroidery pictures, doo eeet !

@Yazoo_the_Kazoo, was it the iDye or procion ? If it was a procion dye I'd be a little worried that something is up with the fabric (like a finish or something that's preventing results). If it *wasn't* a procion, that should be worth a shot - and you can lose a lot without fixatives. I feel like you probably DID do that, but it's worth mentioning just in case.

Hook-and-eye are a good choice (I'm probably going to use them - it will be easy to install and fast to get in and out of and avoid the rippling that zippers like to do when they shear), it's just some of the that don't want to behave. You could try taking a hammer to the hooks to see if you can get them to grip a bit more.

It's funny when you do finally "get used to" an annoying and needy garment and find yourself still making the adjustments to accomodate it even when it's not there. :P

I have an extra month to get this done, but I'm still overwhelmed and worried that it won't be enough time. Why am I not working on it right now, what's wrong with me, fffff.

Actually in the pipes: