Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #16
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
AX has this strange policy that even if the gun prop has been disabled, and all internal parts have been gutted out, it would not pass inspection because it used to be "functional".

Besides the safety colors, toy guns also cannot have metal parts. If you add metal parts on it, it will become "non-compliant". Your Contender gun has also have to be in their "safety colors" like pink, white, blue, red, orange or purple.

When it comes to the peacebonding stations, it would depend who is really manning the booth at that time, so it's always highly inconsistent. (What may pass three hours ago, may not pass muster afterwards.)

Currently, AX has some of the strictest rules, (And most ridiculous) at any anime or sci-fi con in North America.

Some people have pointed out in the past, regarding some of the ridiculous rules, but some of the staffer's reaction has usually been, "This is the rules for AX. If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else." (But we still want your money!)
Good point, I didn't think about the whole "no previous functionality" bit when it came to the cartridges. A friend of mine has access to a CNC mill and a plastic injection mold, so I guess I could throw together a CAD model to machine a mold and make some plastic casings instead.

When you say it has to be in their safety colors do you mean like this or something like this? I ask this because I have seen countless photos of people with plastic replica firearms that only have orange tips on them. I've even seen some that have had no safety colors to speak of.

Yea, it looks like they do have a very strict set of rules that seem like they're written in stone. What's worse is that I keep hearing that they are getting even more strict with enforcement, despite all the complaints I'm sure they have received in the past.
Zombieki11er is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I ask this because I have seen countless photos of people with plastic replica firearms that only have orange tips on them. I've even seen some that have had no safety colors to speak of.
That's because they got away with it. It's not a problem with cons like DragonCon, but AX gets really jumpy about toy guns that are not in the safety colors. (Incidentally the red tip is required of all toy guns now under California law.)

When the Star Wars Celebration con was held at the LA Convention Center, the LAPD would ask to pose pictures with Imperial Stormtroopers who were holding modified fiberglass/plastic replicas of MG 34 light machine guns, and they didn't have a problem with it. (As long you have the red tip in it, and it's not real.)

Quote:
When you say it has to be in their safety colors do you mean like this or something like this?
No. Both colors in both of the pictures are too "realistic". You know those completely neon funky colors that you find with those Nerf guns? That's what it's supposed to look like. (No grey, metallic silver or black.)

This is what is supposed to look like after the safety colors are painted:

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/nerf-gun...tle/nerf-photo

This is why some of the Star Wars cosplayers refuse to come to AX anymore, because they don't want to paint their $600 plus blasters & blaster rifles with those ridiculous safety colors. (They don't have a problem with their props at the San Diego Comic Con.)

By the way Nerf guns or water guns are not allowed at AX either because they are "functional."

Quote:
Yea, it looks like they do have a very strict set of rules that seem like they're written in stone. What's worse is that I keep hearing that they are getting even more strict with enforcement, despite all the complaints I'm sure they have received in the past.
There's already an ongoing joke that I heard among some cosplayers that that the only weapon prop that will be allowed some years from now at AX, will be a Japanese school girl's schoolbag. (But even that schoolbag will have to be peacebonded, because they may say that you could whack someone's head with it.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-21-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #18
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
That's because they got away with it. It's not a problem with cons like DragonCon, but AX gets really jumpy about toy guns that are not in the safety colors. (Incidentally the red tip is required of all toy guns now under California law.)
Well, there's quite a few people that got away with it then. If it seems like a lot of people are doing that next year, I might go down that same path.

Quote:
No. Both colors in both of the pictures are too "realistic". You know those completely neon funky colors that you find with those Nerf guns? That's what it's supposed to look like. (No grey, metallic silver or black.)
Oh gosh, that is horrendous. Yea, I don't think I'll be doing anything like that to my gun. I'll press my luck and try to get it peacebonded (which keeps sounding less and less likely to pass) if they turn it down, I'll probably just toss it in the car. I think someone said peacebonding is open on Day 0, so I'll get it looked at then.

Quote:
This is why some of the Star Wars cosplayers refuse to come to AX anymore, because they don't want to paint their $600 plus blasters & blaster rifles with those ridiculous safety colors. (They don't have a problem with their props at the San Diego Comic Con.)
I wouldn't blame 'em, I wouldn't want to ruin my cherished prop I bought solely for my cosplay, just for some convention.

Quote:
There's already an ongoing joke that I heard among some cosplayers that that the only weapon prop that will be allowed some years from now at AX, will be a Japanese school girl's schoolbag. (But even that schoolbag will have to be peacebonded, because they may say that you could whack someone's head with it.)
Haha, that's a pretty good one. Well, if it has to go through peacebonding, it may not make it because of those dangerous metal zippers that are on the bag XD.
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #19
MeiChama
Mahou Shoujo★MeiMei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
By the way Nerf guns or water guns are not allowed at AX either because they are "functional."
Woah wait seriously? Wow, I remember a couple of years ago I had some water guns for Death the Kid and they checked them out and they peace bonded it and I was good to go.
Freddy Fazbear [Genderbend Gijinka] - Five Nights at Freddy's
Hiro Hamada - Big Hero 6
Hatsune Miku [Racing Queen 2015] - Vocaloid
Alvin [Genderbend] - Tales of Xillia
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #20
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Oh gosh, that is horrendous. Yea, I don't think I'll be doing anything like that to my gun. I'll press my luck and try to get it peacebonded (which keeps sounding less and less likely to pass) if they turn it down, I'll probably just toss it in the car. I think someone said peacebonding is open on Day 0, so I'll get it looked at then.
Well, you may get lucky or you may not. (But at least, you've tried.)

Here's a excerpt from their own posted rules regarding weapon props:

http://community.anime-expo.org/topi...peace-bonding/

Quote:
REALISTIC GUNS:
All realistic looking guns must follow the following criteria:
1. Cannot be a real gun; must follow previously mentioned gun criteria .
2. Regardless of having an orange/red tip, it must be PAINTED or TAPED (see FAQ for more details) approximately 50% of the following colors, either single-color or in some kind of pattern:
a. white
b. bright red
c. bright orange
d. bright yellow
e. bright green
f. bright blue
g. bright pink
h. bright purple
3. The only other option for colors is for the gun to be predominantly transparent.

By "realistic," the following is included: modern guns, antique guns, all-wood guns/rifles, steampunk-style guns (depending on the color and amount of steampunk elements added), etc...
Examples of realistic guns: Yoko Ritona's gun from Gurren Lagann.
I have a funny feeling that you wouldn't want to paint your Contender gun pink or purple.(Can you imagine if an Imperial Stormtrooper or Boba Fett from Star Wars walks around with a pink or purple blaster?)

Quote:
Woah wait seriously? Wow, I remember a couple of years ago I had some water guns for Death the Kid and they checked them out and they peace bonded it and I was good to go.
You didn't tell them that it was a water gun, right?

If it was a see through water gun, it is supposed to be to able to pass muster as one of the exceptions to the rule, but that would really depend on the person manning the peacebonding booth.

Here's another excerpt from their own posted rules regarding weapon props:

http://community.anime-expo.org/topi...peace-bonding/

Quote:
GUNS:
1. Any and all projectile weapons CANNOT have been capable of shooting ANYTHING at ANYTIME, no matter what the current condition. These include, but are certainly not limited to: Airsoft guns, pellet guns, BB guns, rubber band guns, NERF guns, etc...
- The ONLY exception to this is for emptied, see-through water guns. Those must stay empty while on convention grounds.
If you notice, it says that Nerf guns are included, and "cannot have been capable of shooting ANYTHING at ANYTIME, no matter what the current condition."

Also, there has been an update this year, so thick wooden swords are no longer allowed.

Quote:
Edit on 6/25: IMPORTANT UPDATE: No bokken (thick wooden swords) or shinai (bamboo swords). Both are considered martial arts weapons, and therefore not permitted at AX.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-21-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #21
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Well, you may get lucky or you may not. (But at least, you've tried.)

Here's a excerpt from their own posted rules regarding weapon props:
I consider myself a lucky man XD. Well, I can't get down for not trying. The worst feeling would be if I actually did paint my Contender and then wind up going through someone who would've let it through even without the paint job.

It's funny, I don't know how I missed the bit about it needing to be 50% in those colors when looking over it on their site.

Quote:
I have a funny feeling that you wouldn't want to paint your Contender gun pink or purple.(Can you imagine if an Imperial Stormtrooper or Boba Fett from Star Wars walks around with a pink or purple blaster?)
Yea, definitely not happening. This thing cost a good deal of money and I am not about to ruin it. It would kinda kill the whole feel of character if you go in with a ridiculously colored prop gun. If a cosplay, such as mine or those Star Wars ones, were to be without a gun, it's not like you're missing something that makes the character identifiable, it's just that the weapon adds that last flare that tops off the costume and shows off one of the signature pieces that really completes the look.

Last edited by Zombieki11er : 07-22-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #22
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Um....You do know that the AX people who comes up with those super strict peacebonding policies do come here, and read this thread, right?

I would leave the duct tape on the gun, even though it will look hideous and really ugly. (Then take it off when you go home.) Better a super ugly gun, than getting kicked out.

Another option is to make two of them. Save the gun with regular colors for the more cosplay prop friendly cons like Comic Con, or DragonCon. And just paint the "inferior" copy with those safety colors, and use it only for just AX. (And only AX.)

And of course, if worse come to worse, you can always bring a Japanese schoolgirl's bag.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Um....You do know that the AX people who comes up with those super strict peacebonding policies do come here, and read this thread, right?
Yea, I figured that much when I thought about it this morning. You're killin' me, Hakaider, I was dead tired last night XD.

I'll probably buy some orange tape and make a crisscross pattern over the length of the barrel so that even with the tape on there taking away from the looks of the gun, it will look pretty awesome nevertheless.

Quote:
And of course, if worse come to worse, you can always bring a Japanese schoolgirl's bag.
You know what? I'm going to buy one so that if my gun gets shot down, right out of the sky, even with the tape, I am going to throw the gun in my car, grab the schoolbag, and pose with that thing. Emiya Kiritsugu, the best no nonsense Mage killer, posing with a Japanese schoolgirl's bag XD. And in the poses I'm going to hold my hand up like a gun and point to the schoolbag which will say, "I ♥ peacebonding." with the other. If this happens, the first picture I get back is coming right to this thread =D

Last edited by Zombieki11er : 07-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Yea, I figured that much when I thought about it this morning. You're killin' me, Hakaider, I was dead tired last night XD,
Totally understand., and no problem.

Quote:
You know what? I'm going to buy one so that if my gun gets shot down, right out of the sky, even with the tape, I am going to throw the gun in my car, grab the schoolbag, and pose with that thing. Emiya Kiritsugu, the best no nonsense Mage killer, posing with a Japanese schoolgirl's bag XD. And in the poses I'm going to hold my hand up like a gun and point to the schoolbag with the other. If this happens, the first picture I get back is coming right to this thread =D
To paraphrase Archer's immortal words....

"I am the bone of my Sailor Fuku.
Fuku is my body and legwarmers are my blood.
I have created over a thousand "Hello Kitties".
Unknown to death,
nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many .
Yet those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, Unlimited Sailor Senshi."

(For people scratching their heads, you have to watch "Fate Stay Night" to get this one.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-22-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Totally understand., and no problem.
Thanks Hakaider, you're the best =)

Quote:
To paraphrase Archer's immortal words....

"I am the bone of my Sailor Fuku.
Fuku is my body and legwarmers are my blood.
I have created over a thousand "Hello Kitties".
Unknown to death,
nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many .
Yet those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, Unlimited Sailor Senshi."
I knew it! I knew my subtitles were wrong. I had a feeling that these were Archer's true colors XD.
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
TheRealZain

So, despite several vendors selling airsoft and weapons within the Hall, I can't bring any of them from outside? What if I bought from inside then wanted to go back in with it? What if I needed that final proper piece?

Lame questions, I know.

But, regardless, there are always countless people with realistic colored guns walking around inside and outside the Hall, all with the tie, orange tip at most. No, seriously, there were so many MGS and RE cosplays that I lost count. Weapons make a huge difference in finishing a cosplay, especially when they're firearms prevalent characters, so I'd feel incomplete and naked, let alone insulted, if I had to walk around with a pretty pink revolver.

I should just try to get my prop in anyway, right?
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZain View Post
So, despite several vendors selling airsoft and weapons within the Hall, I can't bring any of them from outside? What if I bought from inside then wanted to go back in with it? What if I needed that final proper piece?
Yea, I was actually a click away from buying an airsoft version of the Thompson Contender, but I decided to ask first and apparently if the prop has or had the ability to shoot, it can't be on the premises. If you buy airsoft stuff from the convention, they expect you to keep it wrapped up if you carry it around, or to put it in your hotel/car. Also, most good quality airsoft guns (aside from Tokyo Marui) are metal and that wouldn't be allowed on the premises because the only metal allowed on a prop weapon is on the handle.

Quote:
But, regardless, there are always countless people with realistic colored guns walking around inside and outside the Hall, all with the tie, orange tip at most. No, seriously, there were so many MGS and RE cosplays that I lost count. Weapons make a huge difference in finishing a cosplay, especially when they're firearms prevalent characters, so I'd feel incomplete and naked, let alone insulted, if I had to walk around with a pretty pink revolver.
That's good to know. It looks like there's still hope for me then. I agree, when your character has some sort of signature weapon, it helps a great deal to have it along with your cosplay, looking the way it's supposed to.

Quote:
Yea, I'd say just go for it and try to get it in. I actually might just try to get it peacebonded on day 0 with only an orange tip. If they turn it down, I'll add my little crisscross pattern along the length of my barrel and try to get it peacebonded on day 1.
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #28
darkxshiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZain View Post

Lame questions, I know.

another issue is where the rules are posted. not easy known. forum are kinda dead now a days

what ever the vender are selling. they usual come with a box. air soft gun are expect to stay in there when on con ground.

and it a dice roll with the peace bonding. i know a few people that does RE. this year they had to walk around with a rubber gun. another person that had their gun duct taped then other yoko walk around with normal color and i think was tied

honesty could just wrap your gun in painters tape.

they impose some crazy rule. they are pulling the over reacting to the laws and going beyound it and i have read the actual code they are referring to. there a sub section that allows airsoft gun. but there another code that does not allow airsoft in public places
darkxshiki is offline   Reply With Quote