Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 151 votes, 4.80 average.
Unread 07-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #2341
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
That brings an interesting conundrum, of a convention that was traditionally known for its amazing Cosplay that gets so mainstream that Cosplay becomes a very tiny niche. This comic-con is one of the first ones where the photographers actually outnumbered the cosplayers. To me this is fascinating since I don't remember a convention swing from one extreme to the other, with cosplayers being the dominant part of the ratio to being a photographer dominated ratio.
But comic-con is part of a larger picture, I mean I understand the board's perspective, with all the money comic-con brings in, they can pipe that off to other conventions around the nation to help their cause (ie. Wondercon).

The change has happened gradually over the last 5 years, with the gap between perception and reality (for photographers) widening over time.

Last edited by Access : 07-21-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #2342
ShinjiEva01

Well that was a close call I can't even imagine if actually killed herself it could've affected comic con good job to the stuntmen
ShinjiEva01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #2343
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Actually, a lot of cosplayers that I know of, all went to Comic Con. They just weren't cosplaying due to the massive super gigantic crowds & the heat. (That would be like asking for a heat stroke, and it's difficult to cosplay when you are constantly being pushed back & forth by the crowds.) You also wouldn't want to be cosplaying when you are waiting for over 10 hours or camping out the night before for the huge events at Hall "H".

EL Duque asked a question why this thread was dead when Comic Con was going on, and one of the major reasons was that many of them were at Comic Con, and they don't have time to read this thread, since Comic Con is super intense & exhausting. (A lot of the cosplayers were there. They just weren't cosplaying.) I know Freight was over there too, and so were some of the regulars here.
I'm on a train back to Los Angeles from San Diego at the moment.

Yes, there is a low percentage of people cosplaying. I think there's a combination of factors. The heat wasn't at all high, but there was decent humidity, so the chance of your cosplay being oily or sticky was higher than you'd expect. But there is crowding most places inside. There's no place to stop and get those photos unless you're lucky enough to have a cosplayer follow you to a less crowded corner. That's not terribly likely because there's a lot to do at SDCC, and these people often have other places to be.

There is a place to congregate at the back of the convention center, but given the inherent attention-grabbing of cosplay, that's not an ideal place to go. I only came across the place on Day 3, a day I was already very busy and exhausted from getting 6 hours sleep total over 2 nights, so I didn't stay later than 4pm before catching a nap.

It is a very good convention, but it isn't cosplay-friendly.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #2344
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I'm on a train back to Los Angeles from San Diego at the moment.
Smart move, Freight.

Was it Amtrak?

I've done the Amtrak train route before when I went to Comic Con, and the seats have far more legroom space for your leg than on a plane. (And they let you carry more bags than on a plane.) It was a very pleasant ride the last time I went to Comic Con via the Amtrak, and I didn't have to worry about traffic jams or driving. (Plus, I get to see the nice scenery go by.)

Note: For people thinking of going to Comic Con in the future, you may want to consider going via the Amtrak train route. You don't have to worry about gas, driving, and traffic jams. (Oh, and try to upgrade to "Business Class", if you can. It's well worth the extra cost. The legroom is even more spacious, and you get free sodas, water, and snacks.)

Quote:
Yes, there is a low percentage of people cosplaying. I think there's a combination of factors. The heat wasn't at all high, but there was decent humidity, so the chance of your cosplay being oily or sticky was higher than you'd expect.
Good heavens...Humidity is one of the worst things for a cosplayers. (Especially when the sweat sticks to your skin.) Very few things can beat the nasty, oily feeling at the end of a very humid day. The first thing on many cosplayer's minds when they go back to their hotel rooms are usually, "Shower! Shower!". (Besides "Water! Water!" & "AC! AC!")

And heaven helps those cosplayers wearing those skin leather, or pleather costumes, when it gets very humid.

Quote:
It is a very good convention, but it isn't cosplay-friendly.
It used to be, but not anymore. The super, massive crowds have pretty much discouraged a lot of the cosplayers from cosplaying there anymore. I know many of the sci-fi & fantasy cosplayers are shifting their focus more on DragonCon now. (Which is far more cosplay friendly than even AX.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-22-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #2345
Access

Quote:
It used to be, but not anymore. The super, massive crowds have pretty much discouraged a lot of the cosplayers from cosplaying there anymore. I know many of the sci-fi & fantasy cosplayers are shifting their focus more on DragonCon now. (Which is far more cosplay friendly than even AX.)
I would estimate that Comic-con had maybe 5000 people cosplaying, if that.
In addition to all the other factors that have already been mentioned, the primary factor is one of groups/friends/critical mass. When tickets for a convention are difficult to get, then the thrill of knowing you got lucky and got a hard to acquire ticket doesn't last long, as you begin to realise that not many of the friends you like to hang out with will be there.

Also, sometimes cosplays are set up around groups. In essence one way to tell how healthy the community is at a convention is how many large group cosplays you see. There weren't that many at comic-con, other than large gatherings it was very rare to see a group of 3 or more. After what's happened in the past few years, groups have made an active decision to go elsewhere.

Last edited by Access : 07-22-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #2346
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I would estimate that Comic-con had maybe 5000 people cosplaying, if that.
In addition to all the other factors that have already been mentioned, the primary factor is one of groups/friends/critical mass. When tickets for a convention are difficult to get, then the thrill of knowing you got lucky and got a hard to acquire ticket doesn't last long, as you begin to realise that not many of the friends you like to hang out with will be there.

Also, sometimes cosplays are set up around groups. In essence one way to tell how healthy the community is at a convention is how many large group cosplays you see. There weren't that many at comic-con, other than large gatherings it was very rare to see a group of 3 or more. After what's happened in the past few years, groups have made an active decision to go elsewhere.
Yeah, I think that if you had the cosplayers over the course of 5 days (which includes preview night) that the number is reasonable.

Your point about cosplay as a group and cosplay as a circle of friends is especially important. When people cosplay as a group, there is incentive to have higher quality cosplay since it is part of a community. The social incentive is good motivation to buy the badge and to make a high-quality outfit (along with knowing the character).

I noticed that cosplayers who did go didn't cosplay, so it does give notice to the other cosplayers who are going that they should not consider dressing up. Since the cosplay community is very tightly knit, having the few people that do attend the con not show up in cosplay due to crowding reverberates among the community.

It is quite obvious that the SoCal cosplayer community that would normally attend Comic-Con are now attending Wondercon Anaheim and Comikaze Expo. Anime Cons have also benefited, so Anime Los Angeles, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo, and Pacific Media Expo also has an uptick in comic-con cosplayers looking for a new home.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #2347
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

@Hcoregamer00

As an attendee of both Anime Expo and Comic-Con this year, I summed up my experience of both here:

"This is the first year that I dressed up (cosplayed) for 2 different cons. (Anime Expo and Comic Con) I had very different experiences with them.

Anime Expo:

Convention: First impressions are not good. The line to get in was hellish and snaked around the convention center. Even with priority registration, I waited 90 minutes in line to get into the convention. Some people without priority reported waiting in line for over 5 hours. Once inside, the convention center feels overloaded by the amount of attendees. Staff were also scarce. At least the price of admission is cheap. (I can't rate panels for this convention because I did not attend any of them.)

Cosplay experience: The cosplay experience was polar opposite to the convention. There were massive cosplay gatherings that were great for socializing and I had a great time and met many great cosplay colleagues there. I would certainly come back for that experience despite the rest of the convention being hellish.

Comic Con:

Convention: Probably the biggest convention of its kind and sold out within hours of going on sale. Getting in was a breeze, but that was also because we had special privileges that cut our time to get in significantly. Staff were constant and on top of things, but often to draconian standards. Despite a high number of staff, because the Comic Con is so huge, the convention center is always at or above max capacity. The lines for popular panels and events can stretch for blocks around the host room and snarl convention traffic. To even get into them you have to stake out your claim in line hours ahead of the panel or event.

Cosplay experience: While I still had fun cosplaying at the Comic Con, I had no where near as much fun with it as I did at Anime Expo as the lack of gatherings combined with its huge size meant I had no time to solidly socialize with other cosplay colleagues. It also is so big and sells out so fast that it incredibly hard to find cosplay colleagues that live in your area as 1. it costs a fortune to attend and 2. because it sells out in a matter of hours, it is extremely hard for even natives of San Diego to get into it let alone for someone who is outside of town or visiting from abroad.

My overall experience with cosplaying at these two convention was that I prefer to socialize at these conventions and attending a different convention to cosplay in really opened my eyes to how gluttonous the Comic-Con has become."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #2348
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:
Smart move, Freight.

Was it Amtrak?
Yeah. I took the Coastline route, so I had a view and had a chance to get my notes in order.

The thing that people keep forgetting about Comic-Con, and Anime Expo for that matter, is that the larger conventions aren't really conventions. They're trade shows. They are where people in the industries go to try and entice old and new fans by showing off what's coming in the next few years. Anime Expo would probably still be mostly about the industry if they could figure out how to get the bigger guests in the building, but since they couldn't, they focused on the fan/social side to mixed results.

Even Comic-Con's artists alley was 90% full of established artists and names, rather than the aspiring digital artists you'd expect at an anime convention.

I'm of the mind that you go to Comic-Con to round out your collection and get news, you go to Fanime to cosplay, you go to Anime Los Angeles to have fun. Anime Expo does bits of all three, but not as well as the individual conventions above.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #2349
threebox

I'd like to point out that for SDCC's Artist Alley you have to be a professional. It's actually part of the application process. You need both credited works (specifically says "no credits = not accepted") and they ask what role you have played (pencils, inks, colors, etc) in the industry.
threebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #2350
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I'm of the mind that you go to Comic-Con to round out your collection and get news, you go to Fanime to cosplay, you go to Anime Los Angeles to have fun. Anime Expo does bits of all three, but not as well as the individual conventions above.
Freight, I know I mentioned this before quite a few times, but one of these days, you have to try out DragonCon.

That con in Atlanta, Georgia is North America's cosplay central, and it makes the cosplay at Anime Expo, Fanime or Otakon look quite sparse. It has one of the highest ratio of cosplayers at any North American sci-fi or anime con. Depending on the time of night, the ratio of cosplayers would far outnumber the ration of regular attendees, and it is one of the most cosplay friendly cons in North America.

It's also more of an adult con, (No, not THAT kind of adult con) and the adults would far outnumber the teens and tweens. (Sometimes, the sheer large number of cosplayers gathering about in the Marriott, would not die down until 5 A.M.)

That con is definitely not a trade show, and it's both a cosplayer & cosplay photographer's dream. (Plus, downtown Atlanta isn't as hideously expensive as downtown LA.)

Many of the California cosplayers & some of the California cosplay photographers have migrated there too.

To be frank, after going to DragonCon, I couldn't ever look at AX the same way again, and the number of cosplayers at Anime Expo seemed tiny in comparison. (If I ever get tired of the drama at AX, this is one con that I would definitely shift my focus to.)

Here's a glimpse of the 2012 DragonCon: (Note: Some of the scenes in the video are not for little kids.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbC4XG-L1sE

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-23-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #2351
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

@Hakaider: I have heard that the DragonCon sells out fast. Is this true?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #2352
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
@Hakaider: I have heard that the DragonCon sells out fast. Is this true?
The four main convention hotels sell out very fast, but not the membership badges.

The 4 main hotels are the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Atlanta Hilton and Towers, and the Sheraton Atlanta Hotel, and 3 of the hotels are all interconnected with a walkway bridge. (The Sheraton Atlanta Hotel is not connected.) These 4 hotels are what everyone wants to get, because it's where the actions is. (Although, most of the action takes place in the Atlanta Marriott Marquis.) The con is not held at a convention center, but at the large main hotels. (Although some of the events are held at overflow hotels.) Those 4 hotels will usually sell out within a matter of weeks.

However, you can still get the overflow hotels several months after the 4 main hotels are sold out, but it is always recommended to get the hotels as soon as possible.

In terms of memberships, they would continue to sell the membership badges until the the day of the con, and at con registration is still available. (Unlike Comic Con.)

Unlike AX, they don't have "Premium badges", but they do offer "Eternal memberships". "Eternal memberships" are expensive, but once you get one, it's supposed to be forever, so you never have to buy another membership for life. (Or as long as DragonCon lasts.)

As of 2012, their attendance numbers hovers above 52,000, but the numbers are expected to jump very high over the next few years.

Oh, and what is interesting is their weapon prop policy. I've talked to some of the cosplayers over there about the super strict weapon prop policy at AX, and they would just shake their heads.

I walked past the Atlanta police and the Dragon Con staffers with an airsoft AK-47 rifle for one of my cosplays, and nobody batted a single eye. (If I try that in AX, I would get chased out before I can say "Uncle".) As long as it's not a real gun, they don't care. I've seen people walking around with live steel over there, and noone batted an eye. (I saw a buff Conan the Barbarian and Red Sonja cosplayer carrying a real sword without a sheath, and none said a word.)

Believe it or not, you can still get a badge right now, but it's getting a hotel space that's going to be very difficult. (It's not impossible though. Their website still lists some overflow hotels that are available, and they have con shuttles to some of the con hotels.) The con is traditionally held during the Labor Day weekend, and it's scheduled this year to be on August 30, 2013 to September 2, 2013. (I bought my ticket, and booked my hotel, so I'm going.)

And yes, they had some very cool guests of honor in the past & present. (Including William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart, and a whole host of others.)

Note: Their dealers's room do suck & is quite small, but that's not what people come for. They come for the guests and the cosplay.

One of the best part of the con is the DragonCon parade, where different genres, (Including anime) would march the streets of downtown Atlanta. If you can get in the parade, try to do so. (It's an amazing experience.) Thousands of people would show up at downtown Atlanta during the parade, and cheer for their favorite characters.

Here's a very small sample of the parade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfyaZG4gy7M

And yes, they also have anime programming, and an anime cosplay contest as well.

If you are a cosplayer, or a cosplay photographer, I would highly recommend to check out this con at least once in your lifetime. (After going to DragonCon, I have never seen AX the same way again.)

Here's their official website:

http://www.dragoncon.org/

Then there's that "Gangnam Style" video at DragonCon from last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS3IS1WWpPU

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-23-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #2353
Black_The_White

T___T I want to goooo...I wish I wasn't a poor broke college student.

Conventions
Anime LA 2015
Fanime 2015
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #2354
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

DragonCon is on my bucket list of East Coast Conventions to visit, along with Anime North, Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, and Anime Boston.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #2355
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Honestly I would prefer to stick to local conventions simply because I want to meet people who are in my area and I can't really do that well at a convention across the country.

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo