Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 07-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #2326
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Comic Con has been the usual, crowded and exhausting. Why has this thread been dead since Comic Con has started?
Maybe, because many of the cosplayers were at Comic Con?

I did hear that it had some really awesome guests this year.

One of the best ones was when actor Tom Hiddleston, (Who played "Loki" in the "Thor" & the "Avengers" movie) made a surprise appearance in person at Hall "H", and showed up wearing his "Loki" costume. Just before he presented the trailer for the "Thor 2" movie, he really got into part of "Loki" onstage, and the audience went absolutely wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_PA1qoAFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...stPIcGnI#at=22

"Say my name! Say my name!!!!"

Note: I also love some of the fan comments when Tom Middleston came onstage as "Loki". Here are some of the hilarious quotes from fans:

"Well, there go my ovaries."

"and just like that, i became pregnant.

"I love how he only has to put a finger to his mouth and everyone is quiet."

"*all the panties flying to the stage*"

"Just take our world already. We don't mind."

"The only person who silence that many screaming fan girls in less than three seconds."

"Loki went on to cosplay as British actor Tom Hiddleston for the rest of the event."

"Tom clearly won Comic Con without even trying."

And this one was way too cool, and too cute for words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GVpM3TNTVFY

Quote:
Speaking of badge prices, does anyone know if they'll do another Black Friday deal this year? I'm still unsure of buying a badge yet since I'd rather wait for my childhood buddy to get her's first xD
Yeah, not sure if they will have one for next year. The best thing to do is just wait, and see if they will eventually announce if they will have one for next year.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #2327
Andvari

I find that pretty funny with Tom I wouldn't mind being there
Andvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #2328
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Maybe, because many of the cosplayers were at Comic Con?
I was there and I can say with confidence that it isn't true.

The cosplayer ratio to normal attendees maybe 1:30 and probably even closer to 1:100 as the day moved along, which means that the number of cosplayers was quite low, even compared to other comic conventions like Wondercon Anaheim and Comikaze Expo.

By the time the day was halfway done I questioned whether I needed to lug 10 lbs of camera gear for this con since it barely got any use. The gigantic crowds that had me hugging my gear didn't help.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Stan Lee's LA Comic Con, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #2329
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:

The cosplayer ratio to normal attendees maybe 1:30 and probably even closer to 1:100 as the day moved along, which means that the number of cosplayers was quite low, even compared to other comic conventions like Wondercon Anaheim and Comikaze Expo.

By the time the day was halfway done I questioned whether I needed to lug 10 lbs of camera gear for this con since it barely got any use. The gigantic crowds that had me hugging my gear didn't help.
Actually, a lot of cosplayers that I know of, all went to Comic Con. They just weren't cosplaying due to the massive super gigantic crowds & the heat. (That would be like asking for a heat stroke, and it's difficult to cosplay when you are constantly being pushed back & forth by the crowds.) You also wouldn't want to be cosplaying when you are waiting for over 10 hours or camping out the night before for the huge events at Hall "H".

EL Duque asked a question why this thread was dead when Comic Con was going on, and one of the major reasons was that many of them were at Comic Con, and they don't have time to read this thread, since Comic Con is super intense & exhausting. (A lot of the cosplayers were there. They just weren't cosplaying.) I know Freight was over there too, and so were some of the regulars here.

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-21-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #2330
Andvari

Yeah that makes sense you don't want someone to have a heat stroke in the massive crowds
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #2331
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post

That's comic-con for you.

Five to ten years ago it was a pretty good place for a photographer, but not in the past 2-3 years. The people in costumes do tend to hang out in the publicly accessible area in back of the convention center (just outside the mezzanine exit), in the children's park (between the convention center and the new children's museum), and a few under the sails' pavilion (not very many this year). Also while there is a ratio shortage of cosplayers, there are is no shortage of photographers, and most of the photographers do not know each other or follow protocol as at the anime conventions, getting good photos or setting up a photoshoot can be next to impossible unless you know each other and both area willing to move to a less populated area.

Last edited by Access : 07-21-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #2332
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Actually, a lot of cosplayers that I know of, all went to Comic Con. They just weren't cosplaying due to the massive super gigantic crowds & the heat. (That would be like asking for a heat stroke, and it's difficult to cosplay when you are constantly being pushed back & forth by the crowds.) You also wouldn't want to be cosplaying when you are waiting for over 10 hours or camping out the night before for the huge events at Hall "H".

EL Duque asked a question why this thread was dead when Comic Con was going on, and one of the major reasons was that many of them were at Comic Con, and they don't have time to read this thread, since Comic Con is super intense & exhausting. (A lot of the cosplayers were there. They just weren't cosplaying.) I know Freight was over there too, and so were some of the regulars here.
That's true, a lot of the people who normally Cosplayed didn't. I noticed that among my circle of friends too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
That's comic-con for you.

Five to ten years ago it was a pretty good place for a photographer, but not in the past 2-3 years. The people in costumes do tend to hang out in the publicly accessible area in back of the convention center (just outside the mezzanine exit), in the children's park (between the convention center and the new children's museum), and a few under the sails' pavilion (not very many this year). Also while there is a ratio shortage of cosplayers, there are is no shortage of photographers, and most of the photographers do not know each other or follow protocol as at the anime conventions, getting good photos or setting up a photoshoot can be next to impossible unless you know each other and both area willing to move to a less populated area.
That brings an interesting conundrum, of a convention that was traditionally known for its amazing Cosplay that gets so mainstream that Cosplay becomes a very tiny niche. This comic-con is one of the first ones where the photographers actually outnumbered the cosplayers. To me this is fascinating since I don't remember a convention swing from one extreme to the other, with cosplayers being the dominant part of the ratio to being a photographer dominated ratio.

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #2333
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Oh, and before I forget, there was another thing that happened at Comic Con, and it involved a group of movie stuntmen, who saved the life of woman who was trying to commit suicide, by attempting to jump from the 14th floor of a condo.

A group of movie stuntmen were preparing a stunt for the "Kick-Ass-2" movie at a parking lot for Comic Con. They then noticed a distraught & drunk woman climbing the railing of her balcony & trying to commit suicide on the 14th floor in a condo. The condo was also on the very same parking lot that they were working on. (People below at first, thought it was a publicity stunt, but they realized to their horror, that it was for real.) The stuntmen were quickly able to get to the 14th floor, and used a safety harness to pull her out of there.

You can read more here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...022217396.html

Much kudos to those stuntmen! (If they weren't there, she would have killed herself, for sure. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #2334
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
That brings an interesting conundrum, of a convention that was traditionally known for its amazing Cosplay that gets so mainstream that Cosplay becomes a very tiny niche. This comic-con is one of the first ones where the photographers actually outnumbered the cosplayers. To me this is fascinating since I don't remember a convention swing from one extreme to the other, with cosplayers being the dominant part of the ratio to being a photographer dominated ratio.
But comic-con is part of a larger picture, I mean I understand the board's perspective, with all the money comic-con brings in, they can pipe that off to other conventions around the nation to help their cause (ie. Wondercon).

The change has happened gradually over the last 5 years, with the gap between perception and reality (for photographers) widening over time.

Last edited by Access : 07-21-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #2335
Andvari

Well that was a close call I can't even imagine if actually killed herself it could've affected comic con good job to the stuntmen
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #2336
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Quote:

I'm on a train back to Los Angeles from San Diego at the moment.

Yes, there is a low percentage of people cosplaying. I think there's a combination of factors. The heat wasn't at all high, but there was decent humidity, so the chance of your cosplay being oily or sticky was higher than you'd expect. But there is crowding most places inside. There's no place to stop and get those photos unless you're lucky enough to have a cosplayer follow you to a less crowded corner. That's not terribly likely because there's a lot to do at SDCC, and these people often have other places to be.

There is a place to congregate at the back of the convention center, but given the inherent attention-grabbing of cosplay, that's not an ideal place to go. I only came across the place on Day 3, a day I was already very busy and exhausted from getting 6 hours sleep total over 2 nights, so I didn't stay later than 4pm before catching a nap.

It is a very good convention, but it isn't cosplay-friendly.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #2337
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I'm on a train back to Los Angeles from San Diego at the moment.
Smart move, Freight.

Was it Amtrak?

I've done the Amtrak train route before when I went to Comic Con, and the seats have far more legroom space for your leg than on a plane. (And they let you carry more bags than on a plane.) It was a very pleasant ride the last time I went to Comic Con via the Amtrak, and I didn't have to worry about traffic jams or driving. (Plus, I get to see the nice scenery go by.)

Note: For people thinking of going to Comic Con in the future, you may want to consider going via the Amtrak train route. You don't have to worry about gas, driving, and traffic jams. (Oh, and try to upgrade to "Business Class", if you can. It's well worth the extra cost. The legroom is even more spacious, and you get free sodas, water, and snacks.)

Quote:
Yes, there is a low percentage of people cosplaying. I think there's a combination of factors. The heat wasn't at all high, but there was decent humidity, so the chance of your cosplay being oily or sticky was higher than you'd expect.
Good heavens...Humidity is one of the worst things for a cosplayers. (Especially when the sweat sticks to your skin.) Very few things can beat the nasty, oily feeling at the end of a very humid day. The first thing on many cosplayer's minds when they go back to their hotel rooms are usually, "Shower! Shower!". (Besides "Water! Water!" & "AC! AC!")

And heaven helps those cosplayers wearing those skin leather, or pleather costumes, when it gets very humid.

Quote:
It is a very good convention, but it isn't cosplay-friendly.
It used to be, but not anymore. The super, massive crowds have pretty much discouraged a lot of the cosplayers from cosplaying there anymore. I know many of the sci-fi & fantasy cosplayers are shifting their focus more on DragonCon now. (Which is far more cosplay friendly than even AX.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #2338
Access

Quote:
It used to be, but not anymore. The super, massive crowds have pretty much discouraged a lot of the cosplayers from cosplaying there anymore. I know many of the sci-fi & fantasy cosplayers are shifting their focus more on DragonCon now. (Which is far more cosplay friendly than even AX.)
I would estimate that Comic-con had maybe 5000 people cosplaying, if that.
In addition to all the other factors that have already been mentioned, the primary factor is one of groups/friends/critical mass. When tickets for a convention are difficult to get, then the thrill of knowing you got lucky and got a hard to acquire ticket doesn't last long, as you begin to realise that not many of the friends you like to hang out with will be there.

Also, sometimes cosplays are set up around groups. In essence one way to tell how healthy the community is at a convention is how many large group cosplays you see. There weren't that many at comic-con, other than large gatherings it was very rare to see a group of 3 or more. After what's happened in the past few years, groups have made an active decision to go elsewhere.

Last edited by Access : 07-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #2339
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I would estimate that Comic-con had maybe 5000 people cosplaying, if that.
In addition to all the other factors that have already been mentioned, the primary factor is one of groups/friends/critical mass. When tickets for a convention are difficult to get, then the thrill of knowing you got lucky and got a hard to acquire ticket doesn't last long, as you begin to realise that not many of the friends you like to hang out with will be there.

Also, sometimes cosplays are set up around groups. In essence one way to tell how healthy the community is at a convention is how many large group cosplays you see. There weren't that many at comic-con, other than large gatherings it was very rare to see a group of 3 or more. After what's happened in the past few years, groups have made an active decision to go elsewhere.
Yeah, I think that if you had the cosplayers over the course of 5 days (which includes preview night) that the number is reasonable.

Your point about cosplay as a group and cosplay as a circle of friends is especially important. When people cosplay as a group, there is incentive to have higher quality cosplay since it is part of a community. The social incentive is good motivation to buy the badge and to make a high-quality outfit (along with knowing the character).

I noticed that cosplayers who did go didn't cosplay, so it does give notice to the other cosplayers who are going that they should not consider dressing up. Since the cosplay community is very tightly knit, having the few people that do attend the con not show up in cosplay due to crowding reverberates among the community.

It is quite obvious that the SoCal cosplayer community that would normally attend Comic-Con are now attending Wondercon Anaheim and Comikaze Expo. Anime Cons have also benefited, so Anime Los Angeles, Anime Conji, Fanime, Anime Expo, and Pacific Media Expo also has an uptick in comic-con cosplayers looking for a new home.

Unread 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #2340
Gamedraco Cosplay
Use the Triforce Link

@Hcoregamer00

As an attendee of both Anime Expo and Comic-Con this year, I summed up my experience of both here:

"This is the first year that I dressed up (cosplayed) for 2 different cons. (Anime Expo and Comic Con) I had very different experiences with them.

Anime Expo:

Convention: First impressions are not good. The line to get in was hellish and snaked around the convention center. Even with priority registration, I waited 90 minutes in line to get into the convention. Some people without priority reported waiting in line for over 5 hours. Once inside, the convention center feels overloaded by the amount of attendees. Staff were also scarce. At least the price of admission is cheap. (I can't rate panels for this convention because I did not attend any of them.)

Cosplay experience: The cosplay experience was polar opposite to the convention. There were massive cosplay gatherings that were great for socializing and I had a great time and met many great cosplay colleagues there. I would certainly come back for that experience despite the rest of the convention being hellish.

Comic Con:

Convention: Probably the biggest convention of its kind and sold out within hours of going on sale. Getting in was a breeze, but that was also because we had special privileges that cut our time to get in significantly. Staff were constant and on top of things, but often to draconian standards. Despite a high number of staff, because the Comic Con is so huge, the convention center is always at or above max capacity. The lines for popular panels and events can stretch for blocks around the host room and snarl convention traffic. To even get into them you have to stake out your claim in line hours ahead of the panel or event.

Cosplay experience: While I still had fun cosplaying at the Comic Con, I had no where near as much fun with it as I did at Anime Expo as the lack of gatherings combined with its huge size meant I had no time to solidly socialize with other cosplay colleagues. It also is so big and sells out so fast that it incredibly hard to find cosplay colleagues that live in your area as 1. it costs a fortune to attend and 2. because it sells out in a matter of hours, it is extremely hard for even natives of San Diego to get into it let alone for someone who is outside of town or visiting from abroad.

My overall experience with cosplaying at these two convention was that I prefer to socialize at these conventions and attending a different convention to cosplay in really opened my eyes to how gluttonous the Comic-Con has become."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2016 Wondercon

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: Complete
Majora's Mask Skull Kid: In progress. Patterns Drafted
Future Cosplay plans:
Paper Mario 64 Bowser
Sceptile
Personal Fursona
Gamedraco Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote