Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AMē

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
typu

What now?

So it's been about a month since the last post, the convention is dead, there have been efforts to schedule something like a replacement event without any real vision, and the people who were once enraged by what looked like a scam by Chase seem to be appeased. I really don't know what else to say. What's on everyone's mind?
typu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
choxie-chan
Uchuu KITAAAAA!!!!

Dude, I feel ya.
Well I do feel a bit sad that I didn't get the chance to check out this con (I planned to do so this year, but thank goodness I didn't buy my badge at all)
For real, I don't know if it's a scam or not but it's ridiculous that they gave NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AT ALL. And what's worse, is that if they DON'T do so then people who have no idea about the cancellation will go and find out in dismay right when they arrive at the Anaheim convention center...WOW. =___=

AX 2014
Day 1: Struttin on fairy kei
Day 2: Mariah - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Day 3: Chen - Touhou
Day 4: Mariah - JJBA:SC
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
esw01407
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxie-chan View Post
Dude, I feel ya.
Well I do feel a bit sad that I didn't get the chance to check out this con (I planned to do so this year, but thank goodness I didn't buy my badge at all)
For real, I don't know if it's a scam or not but it's ridiculous that they gave NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AT ALL. And what's worse, is that if they DON'T do so then people who have no idea about the cancellation will go and find out in dismay right when they arrive at the Anaheim convention center...WOW. =___=
As someone from the other side of the country who's been following this, you summed it up really well. There are people who have no clue that this convention is basically dead, many of them on Twitter. I think the best anyone can do is make sure to tell there friends and people they might know this convention is dead, try to spread the word. Whats really odd is, no official sources like Anime News Network have even mentioned this, but that's probably because there's no one to confirm the convention demise.
esw01407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

I was kinda looking forward to this since there aren't any cons after AX until PMX, oh well.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Dark1WingAngel
Heartless Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva Edge View Post
I was kinda looking forward to this since there aren't any cons after AX until PMX, oh well.
Well there is always Comikaze 1 week before PMX in LA but i agree with you, as of now since the end of SDCC and AX the con season is dead till november :/
Cooler: 5%

Next Convention:
Anime Conji

https://www.facebook.com/Dark1WingedAngelPro
Dark1WingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

during closing ceremonies at AX I was sitting next to 3 members of PRESS, when i overheard them saying they were really looking forward to attending AM2 this year and see what Chase had in store for the Con, well when I told them that AM2 was Canceled, they argued with me for 10 minutes saying it was not canceled, where did I get my info, so i told them well (people are getting some refunds back and Anaheim Convention center does not have the date anymore and the Website has had no updates since February, ect.ect and so they took at website and facebook, and then believed me, one of the men was angry because he is friends with Chase and was wondering why Chase never told him about the cancellation.. he already had hotel and flight book.

i am glad i did not book hotel or buy my badge/passport for AM2, something told me not to earlier in the year, I'm glad i listened to myself lol
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Access

That's the thing, the people who said early on that it was cancelled, were shot down or accused of rumor-mongering. Eventually all the solid evidence came in that it was indeed cancelled, but by then most people who had known back then; had already moved on and forgotten about it, or were through talking about what happened. Personally I was writing this con off after Wondercon, back in March. Anyways all that is done, talking about it postmortem really.

The best anyone can do at this point is just to make sure everyone knows, the website isn't going to update before it goes down in November; if those press guys didn't know it was cancelled, I wonder who else doesn't know. I know all my friends know, but a lot of people who go to cons might be outside of the usual circles. I wouldn't advise arguing with anyone (it's a waste of time) but at least put all the information out there and let people come to their own conclusions if they insist it is not cancelled.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
typu

I don't want to reveal any information that I was told in confidence, but I was made very aware of the possibility that the convention might not happen after the Nylon Pink announcement. Before that there was a slew off irrelevant posts on the facebook page in an attempt to stay relevant, then radio silence. There was always poor maintenance of the website, so I just figured they didn't want to invest in the forum, ok, but the forum had developed a pretty loyal fanbase, of which I was a part of.

So with that, I have decided to phone the Anaheim convention center asking if it is appropriate to snuggle up in a nice fold out chair and a good book, and spread the information on the 3 days of mourning. Then proceed to party hardy at Downtown Disney.
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
typu

I think I left a hole in my last post. The reason why the forum was so important, was because it was a strong pillar for communication and basically you have a free source of PR right there. Word of mouth has historically been the most effective method of persuasion, and the higher ups decided to not keep it active (the live chat was canceled TTMTT).
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Access

typu, the 'basics' to run a convention center con include:
people, money, and motivation/effort/support.

After Wondercon, they had none of these things. So at that point, many of us began to assume it would not happen. Of course there was no certainty, miracles have happened before. But it was the likely result.

I understand why they lost support, but it's really all post-mortem now. Sometimes what might originally seem like a minor action toward a single person quickly can quickly become a major issue to the community. You use the term "Radio Silence", but silence is not a planned action. It is the natural result of no one being there.

Like the in famous poem: "This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang but a whimper."
Because when the world ends, there is no one left to plan for it, or announce it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwWlcb62lrM
(or the trance version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghgmMUy-E_k
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

O.K...Chase Wang has finally made an official announcement today that AM2 has been canceled. Personally, I think he should have done that several months ago, instead of waiting until the con was due in less than a month.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (July 24, 2013) - With great regret, AM2 announces that they will postpone their event till an indefinite future date.

"It is with great regret that we are postponing this event", states Chase Wang, "all exhibitors, Artist Alley participants and attendees have either received FULL refunds or are in process of receiving their FULL refunds-this is due to inaccurate mailing/email addresses, if there are any issues individuals can contact us at info@am2con.org".

Follow us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/AM2Con

Follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/AM2Con

About AM2
Located in Anaheim, California - AM2, established in 2010, is a multi-day (3 day) public fan convention aspiring to be a key meeting place for fans that share a common interest in Asian music, Animation/Anime, and Comics/Manga. More information can be found at www.am2con.org
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Access

Well something is better than nothing. Hopefully the website will be updated soon also (not everyone has the facebook).
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
esw01407
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
O.K...Chase Wang has finally made an official announcement today that AM2 has been canceled. Personally, I think he should have done that several months ago, instead of waiting until the con was due in less than a month.
Least they finally posted something, still haven't updated there website for some reason.
esw01407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
typu

Well at least now we know they weren't trying to deceive us. When I said radio silence I didn't mean to say there was ill intent behind it, but it "we're in trouble" without actually saying so. Fans don't want to find out through rumors that their beloved con is failing. I hesitate to say it was a matter of incompetence, because I'm not on staff so I don't know, but seriously what's wrong with saying "hey we're in trouble". I know they can't us the ins and outs but a lot of are willing to help in some way (at least I am).
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

How nice of Chase to finally make an official press release a month from when the con was supposed to happen /sarcasm
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote