Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
cantralovelorn

Question Best way to make dark eyebrows, red?

Hi! So, I'm planning to cosplay as yoko, but i have dark eyebrows, which doesn't look the best with red hair! I know of the paint method, eyeshadow, lipliner/stick, and all of that- I was leaning on lipliner, and setting it with eyeshadow. I found WOWWOW red eyeshadow ($15) and MAC "Cherry" lipliner ($15) but i didn't want to spend $30 on makeup i'll only use once, even more so when my cosplay price is already tipping on $500-600 D:
So does anybody else have and good recommendations for a red lipliner/eyeshadow that's red, inexpensive, and longlasting?

tl;dr: need a good, cheap red lipliner and eyeshadow xD
cantralovelorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Haruhi13

Ooh. I don't know about red eyeshadow, since it's not really an in-demand color, but I know for sure that Milani (which you can find at Target) carries lipliners (I think they're around $4), and I believe they do have a reddish color. c:
Haruhi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Sephora has red eyeshadow in their house brand for $13. You don't need a MAC lip liner specifically. Since red lips are always in style, you can find red lip liner from any brand at any price point.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

You have Milani and NYX for cheap but usable pencils. NYX has Cherry eyeshadow, a red, for $4.49 at ULTA. Their Slim Lip pencil (they have a couple reds) @ $3.49 + Cherry eyeshadow@ $4.49 = $7.98 before tax. So pretty much around $10!

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.

Last edited by spookehdoom : 07-23-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Why doesn't Essence have a red? WTF?
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Just throwing this out there because I don't have an Ulta around me, which probably why I forgot to mention them, if you go to a beauty supply store, you may be able to find a NYX display there.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Princess♥Aimee
can u not

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
Just throwing this out there because I don't have an Ulta around me, which probably why I forgot to mention them, if you go to a beauty supply store, you may be able to find a NYX display there.
NYX is also sold at Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack, and Urban Outfitters
10% completed
Princess♥Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

NYX also has a store locator and the brand has been popping up at Target's randomly.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

Department store lip liners should work. I used to have toxic red hair (my real hair) and dark eye brows. The trick to get the red eyebrows and not have it look super fake and weird is to opt for a darker red liner pencil, I prefer the reddish wine colors myself and very lightly fill in your eyebrows (only in the center, if you must line the border of the eyebrow do so very lightly so it still looks natural), this will create a much more harmonious tone. If you insist on a lighter red, use both a darker reddish wine color, and a lighter red together.
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
PriestessLolo

I agree with Nyx for potentially using a lip liner. I really like Nyx because they seem to be of good enough quality even at a cheaper price point.

As for eyeshadow, I have an amazing red shadow from Sugarpill, called Love+. VERY vibrant (as are the rest of their colors) and highly pigmented. I use their Poison Plum and Dollipop to make purple/pink brows all the time. However, they're $12 each. IMO, worth every penny because the quality is very high and the colors last all day as long as I use a primer first.

Another option is getting one of those 88 palettes from Coastal Scents or something similar. Theirs has a red color in it and is very affordable.

Re: making dark brows bright/less dark. The things I do are either draw my brows on with white pencil (I use Nyx's retractable white eyeliner), then cover that carefully with the eyeshadow. For red, it may require a bit of extra application to look RED and not pinkish red. I do this sometimes for pink brows, but I sometimes also use the glue stick brow-covering technique so the pink really shows.
PriestessLolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessLolo View Post
I agree with Nyx for potentially using a lip liner. I really like Nyx because they seem to be of good enough quality even at a cheaper price point.

As for eyeshadow, I have an amazing red shadow from Sugarpill, called Love+. VERY vibrant (as are the rest of their colors) and highly pigmented. I use their Poison Plum and Dollipop to make purple/pink brows all the time. However, they're $12 each. IMO, worth every penny because the quality is very high and the colors last all day as long as I use a primer first.

Another option is getting one of those 88 palettes from Coastal Scents or something similar. Theirs has a red color in it and is very affordable.

Re: making dark brows bright/less dark. The things I do are either draw my brows on with white pencil (I use Nyx's retractable white eyeliner), then cover that carefully with the eyeshadow. For red, it may require a bit of extra application to look RED and not pinkish red. I do this sometimes for pink brows, but I sometimes also use the glue stick brow-covering technique so the pink really shows.
Except with shipping $12 becomes $18 and OP has already said that she'll only be using it once. While Sugarpill is quite pigmented (I just used Love+ for a burlesque "test-act" under spotlights and it showed perfectly), it's not worth it if she's only using it once.