Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
sandra03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmik View Post
Definitely. I get anxious just leaving my room on a normal day. I'm not particularly fond of attention. When I cosplay, it's a bit easier because I'm in costume and no one knows me. I haven't been a con alone yet, so that may change my opinion.

You kind of just deal with it? You're not the only person there having those same thoughts, whether new or old. Everyone's nervous when they cosplay because you're walking out in a costume and you know people are going to notice you.
i know the feeling. i'm actually mostly nervous about people potentially wanting to take pictures of/with me. i get really anxious when posing for pictures for some reason. i'm not sure if being in cosplay will make it better or worse. i think in the future i'd like to do a cosplay that involves a full mask/headpiece. though it would get hot and uncomfortable, it would help the anxiety i think
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

I have generalized anxiety, so I always get a bit panicky before I step out in a costume I've never worn before. Costumes I've worn a lot never make me anxious, that's actually comforting because I've come to know what to expect. It's the great unknown that makes me anxious. Will I be well received? Will people recognize me and take my picture? Will I find out after the con everyone was talking about me behind my back, and I was "that guy"? And the thing is, I don't even care about those things, it's all the anxiety talking. It's totally "irrational," and that's part of how I cope with it. Deep breaths and assurances to myself that I have no cause to worry. I try to focus too on the fun times I'll have with friends instead of the cosplay. But yeah, sometimes it gets to the point that I can't sleep the night before a con, and that kind of sucks. :/

I've also noticed that when I compete in cosplay contests, I get a huge spike of panic when they line us up back stage, but that's normal jitters, pretty sure. The rush of adrenaline I get from competing more than makes up for it, haha.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Swordmaster
Classy Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra03 View Post
i know the feeling. i'm actually mostly nervous about people potentially wanting to take pictures of/with me. i get really anxious when posing for pictures for some reason. i'm not sure if being in cosplay will make it better or worse. i think in the future i'd like to do a cosplay that involves a full mask/headpiece. though it would get hot and uncomfortable, it would help the anxiety i think
If you've got Winter, use it.
Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #19
avant_yard

This is so interesting to hear coz based on the cosplayers I've seen (I approached so many for photos), I never detected any anxiety. In fact, everyone seemed to be so comfortable in their skin while they were in costume. Do you guys feel you reach a certain point when that nervousness fades away and you fully become the character you're playing, i.e. you suddenly feel empowered, almost like a different person?

I'm planning my first ever cosplay. I've only been to masquerades in costume and I know it's an entirely different experience. Been to cosplay events but only in plain clothes. I'll probably be anxious to step out in my first cosplay!
avant_yard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #20
Masenkohuh
lord of spandex

Last year I let the anxiety get the better of me. I was supposed to be going with my husband as Rinoa to his Squall, and I agreed to do a shoot with a couple friends going as Selphie and Irvine. I freaked out and didn't eat for 3 days before the convention and ended up almost having to go to the hospital, all because I thought I looked fat and ugly and didn't do the cosplay justice.
I missed out on the whole thing! Now I just remind myself that the whole POINT of the convention is to nerd out and have fun! I also take a fan and water so that I don't get overheated or claustrophobic in crowds. Just remember you cosplay for yourself, not anyone else, so enjoy yourself and don't let anything get in the way of that!
Works in progress:
Lady Tsunade (Naruto) 99.99999% DONE! WOOT!
Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji)75%
Miranda Lotto (D.Gray man)90%
Guilt Na Zan (Vampire doll) 50%
Reboots:
Robin Sena, Undertaker, Bulma Briefs
Masenkohuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:54 AM   #21
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant_yard View Post
This is so interesting to hear coz based on the cosplayers I've seen (I approached so many for photos), I never detected any anxiety. In fact, everyone seemed to be so comfortable in their skin while they were in costume. Do you guys feel you reach a certain point when that nervousness fades away and you fully become the character you're playing, i.e. you suddenly feel empowered, almost like a different person?

I'm planning my first ever cosplay. I've only been to masquerades in costume and I know it's an entirely different experience. Been to cosplay events but only in plain clothes. I'll probably be anxious to step out in my first cosplay!

If you have the right costume, the nervousness will fade soon enough. I only had one costume so far in which I didn't feel comfortable at all and couldn't get in character, but overall, it was pretty easy to become whoever I cosplayed.
Whenever I'm Sailor Moon, I suddenly start acting all cute and girly, haha xD

I think everyone makes the experience of not feeling comfortable in one or two of his costumes, but there's so much more to try and I guess everyone finds the right costume to wear sooner or later ^__^

~Up Next~
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom000 View Post
Okay picture this. It's the first day at a convention. You wake up in your hotel room, take a deep breath, you go into the shower and do your morning hygiene routine. You step out unpack your costume and put it on. You step in front of the mirror to make sure everything is in place and a voice screams out in your head 'what in God's green earth were you thinking you stupid idiot! You are going to look like the biggest fool that ever walked upright'

As someone who has never Cosplayed before I am worried i won't be able to get over that nervous hump and go out into the crowd. But if i don't i feel i will never forgive myself.

Did this happen to you? and how did you get over it?
That happened to me when I walked out of the hotel room in my Agitha costume to go to the Symphony of the Goddesses (the hotel was in no way affiliated with the symphony, so people had no idea why I was in costume). Walking down the hall I was freaking out, and then when I got off the elevator there was a huge crowd of people waiting to get on, and you know how things kind of go in slow motion sometimes? Yeah that happened to me. Everything was in slow motion and first I was like "why did I do this???" but that only lasted about a second and then I felt like "Gurl, I am fabulous!" and walked confidently though the crowd. Once I got over the initial first time cosplaying shock, it was really fun!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
SA2R
King of the Skies

To be honest, I don't get anxiety, like ever! I remember about 6 months ago though~ I woke up on a Saturday of a con (cosplay contest day) and was so ready to be trying on my magic armor for the first time. I sat up and anxiety hit me like a boulder. I never felt anything like it. I couldn't get my heart to stop racing, and felt like breaking down from the very though of wearing my armor in front of the audience and judges ;; And just walking the halls in general.
But I simply took a couple moments to calm myself, get water and of course breath. Something that I still do to this day when ever I feel even a little nervous.

Prince Ludwig...........ルードヴィッヒ革命
Takuto Tsunashi...........STAR DRIVER
Haruto...........Valvrave the Liberator
Leddo................Suisei no Gargantia
Red Mist.........................KICK-ASS
Rui....................Gatchaman Crowds
Yukine.............................Noragami
Hoozuki..............Hoozuki no reitetsu
Ringabel...................Bravely default

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I tend to be nervous before cons, not because of cosplaying, but just because of social anxiety. I get over it once I'm actually there, though.

In progress: Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite) - 90%; Steampunk'd Han Solo (Star Wars) - 98%; Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed III) - 30%; Max Rockatansky (Mad Max series) - 35%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Captain America: TWS) - planning

Future: Mal Reynolds (improved), Jaime Lannister (GoT)
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #25
sandra03

yeah i have social anxiety also, so that should be fun. it'll help that i'm going with a friend who's been to a lot of cons, she'll keep me calm. I've been trying to be more social and less awkward. but if we meet up with a group and i feel overwhelmed i think i'll just pull out my con schedule and be like "I gotta go, panel's starting" and go hide somewhere :P
worst part is i always assumed it was something that would get better as i got older, but it's actually gotten worse with age *sigh*
sandra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #26
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

For the first 5 minutes I'm at a con, I'm very restless and nervous (plus I'm an introvert/INTJ.) But after I've warmed up to the busy environment I'm alright.

2014 Cosplay(s): Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Anime Festival Orlando / Mythicon? | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
KatTehninja

Oh yes! It's completely natural, but you have to remember and keep in the back of your mind that you're a part of a culture that's extremely accepting, and even if your costume isn't the most accurate or you're not king or queen of all seamstresses, people will appreciate your effort and skill!
Before May, I was working for 3 months straight on a costume I had no idea how to do. I was working up to the day I would wear the costume, and as I was getting dressed, I completely burst into tears. I almost puked on the way up to the con. No one had seen the costume together, not even me, and I was SO nervous. But, when I got to the con, I was so happy and everyone loved it.
You just have to have confidence in yourself, and take deep breaths. If you have anxiety, sit in your costume for a while, look in the mirror, and say to yourself, "I'm awesome, and everyone will think I look amazing." Because, most likely, a lot of people will agree with you!
KatTehninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Mostly, my internal anxiety is that I could've done better on the costume. My lazy side is more of the side that says "What are you doing?!"
Kaito Yashio - Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2014, re-vamp)
Colonel Armstrong - FMA: Brotherhood (Eventually)
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Kaito Yashio - Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #29
CS3
wannabe world traveler

I'm always nervous for the first time when I dress up and I'm out in public wearing my costume. Once I'm having fun at the con it sticks around when I have to go out in public again and I'm not nervous anymore. Or replaced by hunger.
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Nisshoku-san
aka Jomeiji

I find it helps greatly to wear and showcase a new costume to close friends before. If done early, you can spot any mishaps and still have time to fix them. I wouldn't have caught some if I hadn't done this and generally eases your way into others seeing others in your costume.

As for actually being at a con/ in public, I always think: "how would I react if I saw my cosplay?" Granted people react differently but assuming that the character is recognizable, the general way others will see you is "OMG X CHARACTER *squee*".

The other half of cosplay is the roleplay. Immerse yourself and be your character. It helps with both the cosplay itself and deciding how you should act in public... might also distract you long enough from other worries too.

Active: Komeiji Satori(MK2), Komeiji Koishi(MK2), Yasaka Kanako

Hiatus: Houjuu Nue(GB), Akemi Homura(GB)

Under Construction: Tatara Kogasa

Planning: Kaku Seiga(GB), Kijin Seija(GB)

Future: Kaenbyou Rin, Giginka Ultralisk, Ion Felipe, Sakura Kyoko(GB), Brock, Giovanni, Tyrant Swain

Retired: Shirogane Naoto
Nisshoku-san is offline   Reply With Quote