Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 555 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #21091
cicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaki View Post
Some of us also aren't blessed with big boobs
Big boobs are not always good.
I for example want to crossplay Gajeel (Fairy Tail) like for real. But I can't just bind my boobs because a) it hurts b)I can't breath c)it seriously really hurts d)you can see them anyways.
So I have to address my boobs and change the thing around. I feel like if I hide them it gives people a reason to say that girls can't cosplay guys and if I address them and make that part feminine I'll be "slutty-fying" the character. So i can't win either way ;@;
Plus a revealing costumes draws so much more negative attention i.e rabbid fanboys that just want a feel of your boobs or people who call you a "slut" for "showing 'it' off". It's not my fault the minimizer makes it look I have C's at best ;______;
Gajeel Redfox [Femfatal] (Fairy Tail) 5%
Erza Scarlet [Normal Armour] (Fairy Tail) 60%
Mikasa Ackerman (SNK, Attack on Titan) 0%
Puerto Rico Comic Con 2014
Kagura Sohma (Furuba) 3%
Kallen Kuzuki (Code Geass) 95%
Ready to go Cosplays or "Emergency"
Navi (LOZ) 95%
Soi Fon Taisho/Battle (Bleach) 60%
Inori (Guilty Crown) 55%
cicia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #21092
cicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Sabyne View Post
Whatever the reasons, it's not just for fame, so maybe try learning their reasoning before passing judgement.
Also there is no need for such passive aggressiveness. Especially when you do have a very good point. When you say it like that I feel attacked.
Kagura Sohma (Furuba) 3%
Navi (LOZ) 95%
Inori (Guilty Crown) 55%
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #21093
Nay Tamaru
w00t w00t :)

I know it's been mentioned before but my cosplay pet peeve is people who look down on costumes because they're assembled or store bought or somehow otherwise more cost effective. I have bills and other priorities outside of making an expensive costume.
-Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail) - (season 1) first orange dress
-Kululu (Sgt.Frog) - fem human-version of Kululu, group cosplay
Complete List of all other future cosplay on my Facebook page

-Anime Expo (LA) 2014
-Anime Matsuri (Houston)
Nay Tamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #21094
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicia View Post
There are other sites for that were more cosplayers lurk and where it is harder to find. Like you know the site we are on. Most of the time these people will have themselves tagged in con photos with their regular Fb page and their cosplay facebook page. If they wanted to keep it seperate they would untag themselves so it will only appear on their cosplay page. I do understand the people that have been at it for a while and would otherwise get an unholy amount of FB request and messages on their personal FB.
Although I am talking about some very specific people I know ( I live on a small island so we tend to know everyone). I can't speak of the people I don't know but I know the intent of the people that peeve me.
Except for the fact that this site isn't always the most user-friendly (and can seem really intimidating to new users). I know I stopped using it for a long time because the interface was tricky to figure out at the time (plus I had a lot of other things on my plate).

As for Facebook, are you sure they even know they can untag themselves? It's not the most obvious feature, and if you're skimming through photos it's a very easy feature to miss. Also, do you know for a fact that all these people want is fame? What if they're just getting started with cosplay and they create a page because they think it's expected of them 'as a cosplayer'? Some people decide right off the bat to create a separate page because the established cosplayers they know have separate pages from their personal ones.

As for my tone, it was based on your previous posting. You painted with a pretty broad brush, which is one of my 'life in general' pet peeves so I tend to be a bit more abrasive with it. I don't intend to attack, just be a bit more mindful about that.

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'

Last edited by Angelic_Sabyne : 07-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #21095
ilafatyu
That guy

The idea that someone can get famous off a facebook cosplay page is ludicrous. I use mine basically as a cosplay blog, and a few of my friends follow it to see what I'm up to. Other people use it for networking purposes, like commissioners and photographers and such. I don't think anyone uses it with the intention or being a superstar.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Granite State Comic-Con

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #21096
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
The idea that someone can get famous off a facebook cosplay page is ludicrous. I use mine basically as a cosplay blog, and a few of my friends follow it to see what I'm up to. Other people use it for networking purposes, like commissioners and photographers and such. I don't think anyone uses it with the intention or being a superstar.
I would not be surprised if someone does use it for superstardom, but they probably won't get the reaction they are hoping for.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime Expo
2016 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 80% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Majora's Mask Skull Kid
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #21097
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

People who do not do their research before making a cosplay, especially for materials and how to use them.
Teen Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2015, completed)
Powerline!Max - A Goofy Movie (Otakon 2015, completed)
Cafe!(neko)Kaneki Ken - Tokyo Ghoul (Otakon 2015, completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Author of the "Getting Fit for Cosplay" Katsucon panel.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #21098
cicia

Quote:
Except for the fact that this site isn't always the most user-friendly (and can seem really intimidating to new users). I know I stopped using it for a long time because the interface was tricky to figure out at the time (plus I had a lot of other things on my plate).

As for Facebook, are you sure they even know they can untag themselves? It's not the most obvious feature, and if you're skimming through photos it's a very easy feature to miss. Also, do you know for a fact that all these people want is fame? What if they're just getting started with cosplay and they create a page because they think it's expected of them 'as a cosplayer'? Some people decide right off the bat to create a separate page because the established cosplayers they know have separate pages from their personal ones.
Well I don't know if they have accounts here. I do know that they have DA's. They also have untagged themselves from things they consider unflattering. Most cons have FB pages and the small ones have groups and you can easily just say if you saw me today please tag me using this account and not this other one or whatever. And while you can argue that it has not accord to them to post that they have had the presence of mind to posts plugs from their FB sites. Usually they get removed because the admin think d they are advertisements.
I started cosplaying a loooooong time ago in the land of the Myspace and the beginning of puberty. I come from a small island and every cosplayer knew of one another because the cons were so small. Now times have changed. Things are different more and more people learn of this hobby though the interwebs and think that that's how it's done. And it is sad to me that some of these people think that they not only need these pages but feel the need to make plugs for themselves on other groups dedicated to coordinating shoots doing commissions helping one another with props or sewing. I'm not saying anyone with a FB site is self promoting and fame searching. I'm saying that people who are self promoting and fame searching through facebook peeve me. Because lets face it, you get noticed on these other sites through talent or an "it" factor. When I said "way to hide it" in a sarcastic way I meant that they aren't hiding it. And when I mentioned the "especially when they only use con photos" I mean that they haven't even done their homework <--- only applies to fame searching people. A.k.a if someone doesn't want to mix their personal FB with their cosplay life and only post con photos on their separate site, that's fine.
Kagura Sohma (Furuba) 3%
Navi (LOZ) 95%
Inori (Guilty Crown) 55%
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #21099
cicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
THe people I'm talking about do. I'm pretty sure you don't go to a FB cosplay or con group and say "Hey come like my page because potato" I'm pretty sure it's more along the lines of "I cannot sew this halp" or "I can sew this plus I'm broke" or "Hey I'm doing so and so we can make a group of this series and have a shoot".
But like I said I'm not saying people with FB cosplay sites peeve me. I'm saying that people who are self promoting and literally advertise their pages like a business (mind you I'm not referring to commisioners; those do have a business) peeve me.
It's very annoying to be part of a FB group dedicated to a certain CON or helping each other out and having people posts advertisements about themselves.
Kagura Sohma (Furuba) 3%
Navi (LOZ) 95%
Inori (Guilty Crown) 55%
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #21100
ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
THe people I'm talking about do. I'm pretty sure you don't go to a FB cosplay or con group and say "Hey come like my page because potato" I'm pretty sure it's more along the lines of "I cannot sew this halp" or "I can sew this plus I'm broke" or "Hey I'm doing so and so we can make a group of this series and have a shoot".
But like I said I'm not saying people with FB cosplay sites peeve me. I'm saying that people who are self promoting and literally advertise their pages like a business (mind you I'm not referring to commisioners; those do have a business) peeve me.
It's very annoying to be part of a FB group dedicated to a certain CON or helping each other out and having people posts advertisements about themselves.
Oh, yeah, I see what you mean now.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Granite State Comic-Con

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #21101
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

Quote:
Okay, I better see what you're talking about now. It's not so much the pages themselves as having people post them a million, zillion times and say 'Check my page out!' a zillion times. Yeah, that gets annoying pretty fast; plus in groups it tends to clutter pages and make it hard to find things. Reminds me of one member of the Fanime group I'm part of. He would make several posts, all of which were just the title of an anime series. It got old super fast.

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #21102
cicia

Quote:
Okay, I better see what you're talking about now. It's not so much the pages themselves as having people post them a million, zillion times and say 'Check my page out!' a zillion times.
I'm starting to increasingly think it is a Puerto Rico thing lol. Because it happens often in the spanish group.
The people from my country can be annoying ;o;
They also sometimes annoyingly berate everyone that listens to certain music mostly regeaton without realizing that anime and comics are not music. They post that hate everywhere and I'm just sitting there like "okay apparently I'm a fake and suck because I have some of those songs"
Kagura Sohma (Furuba) 3%
Navi (LOZ) 95%
Inori (Guilty Crown) 55%
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #21103
Shana05
Survivor

The fact the threads of the stuff I want to cosplay are pretty dead. I try to start conversation in there but no one responds. I don't think it's anything personal against me or anything but it's frustrating when you want to discuss your cosplay and get no response.

Crypticon 2015: Shilo Wallace (Repo! The Genetic Opera) - Alice Liddell (Alice: Madness Returns)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #21104
AnimeLuxray25
Rampardos! ♥

Cons posting "coming soon!" for something on their website and NEVER updating it.

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 100%
2016 Cosplay: Leafeon Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 50%

2015 Conventions: Omni Expo, Anime Festival Orlando, Holiday Matsuri.

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
GPXplus: AnimeLuxray25(Feed my Pokémon! :3)
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #21105
jukebox
made you look.

Cosplay.com's photo uploading system is in desperate need of entering the year 2013. Sites like facebook, deviantart and tumblr all do the resizing for you no matter how big the pictures are, and C.c only does it if your photo is under a certain size to begin with, which is redundant and silly. The aforementioned sites also let you see your uploads immediately, whereas here you have to wait anywhere between 2 minutes to 2 days before yours are visible on the main page screen or even your own profile. :/ This is why at this point I only use Cos.com to keep track of costumes I've done, good or bad as they may be and I use my devart for "showing off" my good stuff.

And as for the debate about cosplay facebook pages: Honestly, there's nothing really wrong with it. YES, lots of people do it out of narcissism, which is an ongoing and growing problem in cosplay. People can preach "oh but there's nothing wrong with vanity/wanting attention!" and there isn't technically, but there definitely IS when your need for attention leads you to totally squandering your friends, financial stability, and livelihood in general. I have literally ended friendships in the past because people have gotten too obsessed with the hobby and full of themselves to really function as a person outside of cosplay. :/ We need to address the issue of people being overly competitive narcissists, but attacking facebook pages on the whole isn't an effective way of dealing with the larger issue. There are other reasons why people do facebook pages for their cosplay and its not just out of vanity: some people don't want their employers, co-workers or family members prying into their personal lives and judging; some people just want to be able to meet others and connect with and learn from their peers and make friends; some people might want a career in a relevant field like costume design, fashion or modeling and want to professionally network; some people do cosplay-related content for blogs and websites and want to expand the presence and audience for their site. There's also issues like places like Facebook, tumblr and devart just being better designed than cos.com is. The problem isn't people using facebook fanpages, but abusing them.