Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Companies making gatherings at cons?

This is primarily an observation, but in the last two major conventions I've attended, the hosts of two gatherings were companies themselves specializing in cosplay. One of these companies makes full armor suits and were based in Thailand had hosted a gathering at one of the major conventions I've recently attended. At another major convention, it was a gathering for the power rangers in which the company made and sold all of the costumes that were being shown.

Both situations, the companies were handing out business cards to every photographer and cosplayer who came by.

Is this a sign of things to come?
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
konekoanni

Meh, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I mean, at AX there were several cosplay meets that were at the Funimation booth (if I recall correctly) for Funimation-licensed shows. I don't think it's a bad thing for the industry to show an interest in the fans, though perhaps handing out business cards is a bit much.

The thing is, while more visibility does make it less of a "nerd club", it does help in terms of availability of materials, access to technology, and better networking between cosplayers. If you want it to be less commercialized, then reach out to the industry instead of making them reach out to you, that way you have more control over the format of involvement.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I've never heard of this before, so I have to ask, which convention did this happen at?

I'm sure it seems to them like an effective means of promotion (especially if they're trying to get around the con's usual rules for purchasing vending booths, couldn't get in, can't afford one, etc) but at the same time, we usually think of photoshoots and gatherings as being places for fans to meet other fans, look at each other's costumes, and fangasm at each other. It's really hard to do this if the photoshoot sponsor is a company just trying to promote their own personal wares, and there's no fandom involved. People will get tired of sponsor schmoozing pretty quick and go back to meeting up with fans of the same series instead. It's VERY different from Funimation or Shounen Jump or something like that asking fans of their properties to come and show them their fan-made costumes and geek out with other fans. That's a good corporate-sponsored gathering. But makers of costumes, armor, props, etc, just trying to get attention? Not real exciting. Nothing about it makes fans want to gather.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

This basically is what happened at Sakuracon 2013 (this year). Aniplex, the ones that put out the anime for Sword Art Online (as well as many other amazing anime) were there to promote SAO and they scheduled a huge shoot with not only the fans, but Reki, the person that created SAO was there. I think it's a great idea. I just wish this one was in a bigger area..It was a little cramped and not many people could walk by since it was in the dealers hall..But still, I think it's great that companies are starting to pay attention to the fans and try to get involved with them in some way.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Akaito (Vocaloid [Maybe])
-Link (Zelda OOT [Maybe])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Yeah it's a sign of things to come. Change happens but I doubt it'll be bad. This summer I've been able to make my summer job 100% cosplay, and because of companies seeing the marketing power of cosplayers they are willing to throw some major sponsorships at the cosplayers leading those events, both for their time and their passion in making their costumes.

Our most anime centric one was the Attack on Titan promotion this year at Anime Expo, and even though it was a lot of hard work it was a great time for both us and the fans.

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Oh, I thought I posted a response, but it was Anime Expo and Anime Central. Anime Expo aside from the ones posted above, were armor makers while Anime Central were Power Ranger suits.

Though, it never crossed my mind about sponsorship with some people being sponsored.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Oh, not surprised. AX and ACen are corporate cons, so of course they're going to have different opportunities for companies to shill their products than most fan-run cons.

It's like SDCC, the atmosphere is much different than Local Nerd Con, and the rules and allowances for exhibitors are more lenient. Smaller cons confined to small hotels have different policies on advertising and vending. I don't think you can consider it "the future" any more than you can point to SDCC and WizardWorld and claim that they've changed all scifi/gaming cons just for being corporate.

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Oh, not surprised. AX and ACen are corporate cons, so of course they're going to have different opportunities for companies to shill their products than most fan-run cons.

It's like SDCC, the atmosphere is much different than Local Nerd Con, and the rules and allowances for exhibitors are more lenient. Smaller cons confined to small hotels have different policies on advertising and vending. I don't think you can consider it "the future" any more than you can point to SDCC and WizardWorld and claim that they've changed all scifi/gaming cons just for being corporate.
I agree with this statement. I also attended AX and SDCC to know what is like at these cons. However AX and SDCC are in a different leagues even though they are both business oriented. AX had this disorganized fan and business combo about it while SDCC has become so business oriented and sells out so quickly that it is not fun to cosplay there anymore let alone socialize like I did at AX.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Yeah, that's why I don't think I'd ever be able to do SDCC, cool as it is.

For-profit cons are still few and far between compared to the number of fan-run cons, but there's still a lot of for-profit cons that aren't ALL corporate. Hence the nicer atmosphere and the feeling like you're still at a fan-run.

Unread 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Yeah, that's why I don't think I'd ever be able to do SDCC, cool as it is.
I have done the Comic Con for several years in a row, but I am no mood to comeback next year because I did not have much fun there ultimately this year.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote