Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
vdeane

Finding Sailor Moon Costume

I'm hoping to dress up as Sailor Moon this halloween, but I have no idea where to get a decent quality costume. I have ordered something from Azure Costumes, but after reading this I already regret that decision even before it's arrived. Any advice on what I can do? Google is returning anything good (I'm a perfectionist) and I can't sew anything myself.
vdeane is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
AwkwardMarkie

If you don't mind spending a bit of money, you can commission someone off of Etsy, such as this seller http://www.etsy.com/shop/FuzziLovies?ref=seller_info , to make your costume. There are several sellers on Etsy that make custom SM costumes, so you can look for one you like based on quality or price. If you do choose one of those sellers, make sure you contact him/her first to see if the costume will be ready by Halloween.
AwkwardMarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
vdeane

Well, things didn't work out quite as bad as I thought with Azure, so right now my plan is to stick with what I have for this year. I'll have to check them out though - my plan is to upgrade to something better if I continue using this costume for anything.

One issue with Azure though is that they don't use a leotard, and the dress size that fits me is made for a person shorter than I am. Normally this sizing issue isn't a problem with anything stretchy, but since there's no bottom, there's nothing to hold it down. Anything I can do there?
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
AwkwardMarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdeane View Post
One issue with Azure though is that they don't use a leotard, and the dress size that fits me is made for a person shorter than I am. Normally this sizing issue isn't a problem with anything stretchy, but since there's no bottom, there's nothing to hold it down. Anything I can do there?
Hmmm...Well, I know you said you weren't confident in your sewing abilities, but two options come to mind that take into consideration your sewing inexperience:

1) The easiest solution would be to add some snaps to the inside of the "dress" along the seam where the white portion meets the skirt or on the inside of the "hip roll." Sew the other half of the snaps to a pair of white bloomers. Connect the sides of the snaps while wearing the costume to keep the dress down. This method might actually work better with Velcro, since you can sew/glue the Velcro around the whole circumference of the bloomers and the inside of the dress to keep the dress down in all areas rather than just the areas you have snaps. Problem is, Velcro might be a bit lumpy and it will give the dress and bloomers less stretch as well.

2) If you are feeling a bit more confident about your sewing abilities, you could buy some bloomers or a pair of white underwear made from a stretchy material and sew the dress hip roll to the top of the underwear/bloomers. This will keep the dress down uniformly but without the potential for lumps as with the Velcro. Then, cut the crotch in half, fold the new raw edges so that you have two new clean seams that won't fray, and add hook and eye snaps (like these http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Coat-H...viewprod .htm ) to each side so that the crotch will close like a bra would.

Hope this helps!
AwkwardMarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Ayase Shin
Cosplay Commissioner

I could commission it for you.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1590277...=cat_gallery_1

Ayase Shin Coslay @ http://ayaseshincosplay.weebly.com/
Ayase Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
vdeane

Thanks, though things turned out better than expected (looks like Azure's sizing needs to be perfect, which explains why some have decent results why others have terrible ones) and I'm currently budgeting for other things right now. I'll keep you in mind if/when I re-visit this though!

Sorry for the late reply, been busy the last couple of days.