Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
MrDevious
NikoDevi

Looking for list of commissioners

Not knowing where to look, i'm looking here for a list of high quality commissioners or maybe a website where some are.

I need commissioners for a wig, boots, and the costume itself. The costume will be from black butler as will the ones in the future if this goes well.
MrDevious is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You're...In..The forum for it..On the stickies on the top of the forum you just posted in, there's a commissioner review thread..It has a list in abc order..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
MrDevious
NikoDevi

yeah.. really don't want to go through an extremely long list of different commissioners based on an A-F scale of a potentially out of date list...which actually says last updated dec 8th.
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Well, that's on the first post your looking at. It's in several posts. And you wanted a list..That's the only one you're going to get. There isn;t a "only good commissioners" thread. You have to do research.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

Look through the first 1-3 (or 5) pages of the Marketplace "Commissions for Hire" forum. Keeping your ad updated is a pretty good judge of who is still active and accepting work and who isn't. Look through their threads and check out their galleries. If you see any work you like, do a forum search for their name for any reviews. That's probably the fastest way to find a match.

Or post in "Commissions Wanted" with what you want and see if anyone is interested.

Those are probably the two fastest ways to connect you with a commissioner. Like Jason said, you're going to have to do some research.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
MrDevious
NikoDevi

I tried commissions wanted, i'm to new to be allowed to use it. Going through the hire and review sections will just eat up time and won't give me what i'm looking for, i assume everyone here knows who's who..so wouldn't it be easier for some people here to just list a few of the good professionals.
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Actually, just because we're members of the forums doesn't mean we know who's who, because some of us never use commissioners, like myself. And they don't become super-popular, either. So no, we don't have an updated list of all the best guys.
Cyanna's suggestion is the best. Even if you can't posted in the Wanted thread yet, look through the For Hire thread and browse some ads. If you see any work you like, run their name through this forum and see if they have any reviews; if they have none I would avoid them for the time being, if they have good ones, use them!
It's not a waste of time, it's research. I'm not going to do it for you, and neither is anyone else. This is like middle school, dude, you gotta learn to do work on your own.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
MrDevious
NikoDevi

Still looking, still nothing. Could someone just point me to an official website with professional commissioners.
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Aeternus

The others are right - there is no fast and easy approach to finding commissioners. You really do have to do your research if you're going to throw a few hundred dollars at some Internet stranger to make a quality cosplay for you. On top of that, some commissioners specialize in certain things - some only do costumes, some only do wigs, some only do props. Even then, they might specialize further - for example, some commissioners may specialize in ball gowns while others prefer working with armour, or some may do costumes and props but not wigs, while others may only do small props and wigs but not large props. Then there are a few commissioners who are quite versatile and are able to make a wide variety of things. Because of all these little details, simply asking us to provide you with a list of "good" cosplay commissioners will not work. It all depends on what *you* want out of this.

Your best bet, as Cyanna already mentioned, is to go through the first few pages of the "Commissioners for Hire" forum, as those will generally show who is currently interested in taking on work. Most thread titles will include what the commissioner does (i.e. wigs or costumes or props). Choose a few at random and look at their work. Do you like it? Is it close to what you're looking for? For example, if they have a lot of examples of armour but none of detailed clothing and materials, then you might want to look for someone else. If your answer is yes to both questions, then see if there are any reviews about them. If reviews are positive, then contact said commissioner and start asking your questions.

If you're not in a rush, then all the better for you because if you don't find someone you want to commission, you can keep checking back to see if there are any new ads up. If you're in a rush, though, you'll unfortunately have to work with what you've got.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDevious View Post
Could someone just point me to an official website with professional commissioners.
There isn't one. I've tried to find one too so that I might be able to get myself on it. There isn't one. Not a current one anyway. Only individual business websites, shops, and hubs where we tend to congregate. This is one such hub. There is also ACP, Devientart, and marketplaces like Etsy and EBay.

The "Commissions for Hire" forum is about as up to date as you can get unless you are looking for a costume factory of sorts. If you want an online store say so and someone can help you out. But for custom work directly, stop looking for a convenient list. You are wasting your time.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)

Last edited by Cyanna : 07-04-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Shirayuki~Chan

As someone who gets things commissioned, seriously. It's not that hard to look through the forums and find a commissioner who's stuff you like and would want to wear. Not sure if their still active? Shoot them an email, if they don't reply, move on. That's what you have to do, it's pretty easy. You have an a-z list of commissioners with ratings. You have active people who are looking for commissions to do, right at your feet(well, hand).

You have to do your research.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Lemon-Squeezy

It'll be worth it in the end to put time into researching commissioners. And it's not hard. Just go to the review thread. Se who has mostly good grades. Better yet, all A's with maybe a few B's. I wouldn't go to anyone who has C's, D's, or F's. And honestly it takes all of a minute to scroll through all the names. I just did it myself :/

Then see when the last review was. I'd say anything from up to a year to a year and a half ago is still valid. Most of the commissioners do get commissions from people who don't use this website, and even then not everyone reviews so odds are they won't get very many.

Even then you could always find someone who does theater costumes. Or you could buy something premade from ebay.

Kastucon 2014
Austrian Succession Spain
Cowboy America

Otakon 2014
Daenerys Targaryen
Austrian Succession Spain
Mistral - .hack
Kofuku - Noragami

Last edited by Lemon-Squeezy : 07-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
3-Swords CEO
Swordsmith

If you need: I'm aviable for commisions on non-fabric material needed for Cosplay, all the info is below.
2. Cheap
3.Quick
Commissioning me You get all three
3-Swords CEO is offline   Reply With Quote