Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Harry Potter

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #2236
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I prefer the Fabric.com stuff. I did find some great stuff on Joann's website, apparently it's out-of-stock at the one I went to but is available at another location. It may be a little while before I buy my fabric, so maybe it will be restocked by then.

I did find a woman's blog about her making the uniform. But it's a little old and it looks like what she used is out-of-print now. But I imagine there is similar patterns out there.

I was planning to use Simplicity 1880 for the dress. I might shorten the bodice to be a little more accurate. It seems that long sleeves on women is out-of-style because the longest I find on the women's patterns is 3/4. So I plan to use a piece from a man's shirt pattern. For the cape I'm going with Simplicity 4015 since I have already used it for Finland's Santa cape. I know I'll have to draft the collar like was done in the blog. Since I already own this I will probably use it as a base.
Thanks for the info! Do you have any ideas on how to alter those shoes I found? Is it a lost cause, or can it be done?
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #2237
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I really have no idea, I have no experience in altering shoes. I was thinking of wearing these Victorian boots that are similar in style. They're completely black and I don't want to paint them. I'm not too big on complete accuracy and I don't think many people remember what their shoes looked like anyway.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #2238
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I was able to find the pattern that Wilcox Wizard Wares used!!! I found it uncut on ebay for $5! I'm so excited!!! Now to just find the right button down shirt pattern to frankenstein to the skirt pattern...
------------------
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #2239
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Um, is anyone still here? Well, in case anyone is still lurking, I decided to take a stab at Fleur's wand while I'm waiting for my fabric to arrive. It's not anywhere near perfect, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I just wish I could have made the swirl a little smaller....

Pic
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3400767/
------------------
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #2240
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Looks very nice. I bought her wand at the theme park and this looks very accurate to what I have.

I got the patterns for my uniform but I want to finish up Jane before I start work on this.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #2241
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm playing around with the idea of doing Fleur's swimsuit from the second challenge. NebrasKon has a water park and swimsuit competition so I'm looking for a swimmable cosplay.

On my uniform, I plan to begin work after AFW. I put Jane off again as my friend said she help me out there. So I need something to do until I can work with her.

Unread 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #2242
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I'm playing around with the idea of doing Fleur's swimsuit from the second challenge. NebrasKon has a water park and swimsuit competition so I'm looking for a swimmable cosplay.
Let me know if you find a good pattern for that. Her swim suit has been on my cosplay list for a long time.

I've been making some progress on Fleur's uniform. I made a mockup of the skirt, but it was really big, so today I'm gonna resize it, and work on a mockup of the bodice. I also got the paint for my wand, and my hat block should be coming in the next couple of days
------------------
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #2243
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I found this basic one-piece pattern that a blog said could altered into a halter neckline. I wouldn't know how to go about the darker edges though.

Unread 07-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #2244
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

So I've finished my mockup of Fleur, and I'm ready to start on the real thing. I'm a bit discouraged tonight though, and I'm starting to wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew with this. Oh well, I'm into it now. And it's only natural to get cold feet before sewing the real outfit, right? *nervous laugh*
------------------
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2245
Toklata

Hello everyone!! I'm really new to this and for my first try I'm going to attempt just a plain Gryffindor school uniform! I have the tie, robe, and wand. The sweater doesn't seem that hard but the skirt is what I'm stuck on. Does anyone have any advice on where to buy one. I would make my own but my sewing skills are literally non existent. Thank you in advance!
Toklata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #2246
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Well, which version are you doing? The skirt changed about four times over the course of the movies. For Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, it was just a regular pleated skirt, in PoA it was a kick pleated(?) skirt, and then in OotP it was like a wrap skirt. I'm assuming you're doing something from Prisoner of Azkaban or later, since that's the kind of robe you can buy. This skirt in Charcoal is kind of similar to the PoA skirt. This skirt in Grey could also work. Sorry, I don't know where you could get an OotP skirt.

Also, Warner Brothers does sell Harry Potter sweaters, but they're kind of expensive. They are nice though; I got a Gryffindor one when I went to Wizarding World and it's a pretty good sweater But if you don't want to do that, you could just buy a grey sweater and then add some ribbon to it.
------------------
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #2247
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

For Style 2 (aka PoA onwards) of the Uniform, there is mainly 2 Styles of Skirt: 2-Kick Pleats Skirt & A-Line Center Pleat Skirt.
The Wrap, Kilt-kind of skirt is the 3rd variety that Hermione wore. *_*

SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Hades Alone
SAINT SEIYA SUPER MUSICAL Athena Saori
SAINT SEIYA OMEGA Orion Eden
SAINT SEIYA THE LOST CANVAS Athena Sasha
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #2248
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Well, it's been an adventure but soon I will able to start making my uniform. It's took so long because I had a specific order of things to do beforehand. First get the wig, then order the hat with the measurements of my head with the wig on. Well, when the wig arrived it was brown instead of blonde (which I'm now trying to sell). So I bought another wig and now I've ordered the hat. When the hat arrives, I'll be able to match fabrics to it and make my uniform.

Unread 08-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #2249
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I'm currently working on two sets of Slytherin quidditch robes - one from the 1920s and one from the early 1970s.

My husband and I are also making brooms. His is a Silver Arrow, which we decided ought to be a rather arrow-shaped art deco concoction. Mine is this: http://instagram.com/p/cW5KyGEyO7/ A short-lived model marketed to women in 1972 called the Universal Blossom.

Our costumes take cues from sports uniforms in the time periods we're doing (i.e. his includes silver and green plaid knickerbockers and argyles). The finished products should be on stage at Archon in a month and a half. I'm excited but also working very, very hard.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #2250
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I started work and this dress pattern is so confusing. I think I use a blouse pattern for the bodice like Wilcox did. I think the skirt portion of this pattern can still be used so it wasn't a total waste.