Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.31 average.
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #2566
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Anyone else catch Heroes of Cosplay and the nearly exclusive amount of AX footage in it? I thought it was funny how they kept mentioning Wizard Con but continued showing AX clips. You'd think they would have filmed some of the convention they were supposed to actually be at..
From what I've seen, it's basically one of those "reality shows". They aren't looking to make a real documentary about the cosplayers and their creative efforts, but they just want drama, drama, and more drama for their show.

It's not surprising that they would use footage from Anime Expo, and try to pass it off as Wizard Con in the show. They are more interested in showing drama, so they can jack up the ratings, rather than show a honest picture of cosplayers quietly working on their craft, and being creative. (That would be way too boring for the ratings for the producers.)

Don't be surprised as the show progresses, the emphasis will be more & more on the "drama".

One of these "reality shows" people once approached the Star Wars 501st Legion, and when they realized what these people were really going to do, they refused to cooperate. (They wanted to show how obsessed & fanatical "geeks & nerds" were, so the audience can laugh at their "antics".)

Another bad example of those "reality shows", is when MTV came up with a reality show, "The Real World" in Hawaii several years ago, and they managed to alienate & anger many of the locals, as well as the Mayor & even the Governor of Hawaii. For the longest time, they refused to hire any locals, but they kept claiming that they wanted to show a true "slice of life" of locals living in Hawaii. When they finally hired a local into the cast, they made her into an repulsive person & a raging alcoholic who smashed her car into a tree.

Keep in mind also that the producers are making this show for the general public consumption, and it's not really for cosplayers & fans like us. While many of us would be interested in how our fellow cosplayers would construct the costumes creatively, the creative process would bore the hell out of those people who are used to watching the drama from Kim Kardashian, or Snooki.

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #2567
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
It's not surprising that they would use footage from Anime Expo, and try to pass it off as Wizard Con in the show.
I was highly confused why they did that in the first place ono, especially when one scene had proof of it saying "LOS ANGELES"

Quote:
Don't be surprised as the show progresses, the emphasis will be more & more on the "drama".
It made alot of the cosplayers seem....like bitches. Especially how they portrayed Yaya. Then again, how she was portraying herself made it look bad. You shouldn't give a fuck what your fans think, go and re-wear your cosplay! You don't need to impress anyone. The two girls who did their plaster faces? One who almost suffocated? I watched their little video with their Mass Effect cosplay and thought they were the sweetest pair, but the red heads a sour head :/

Quote:
One of these "reality shows" people once approached the Star Wars 501st Legion, and when they realized what these people were really going to do, they refused to cooperate. (They wanted to show how obsessed & fanatical "geeks & nerds" were, so the audience can laugh at their "antics".)
I feel like shows such as Big Bang Theory and Geek Love did just that. They want to make fun of us, see how it is for normal people to react to such characters in BBT and how lonely the fools on GL are. The concept of GL is good hearted, just not for television. Throw a reference to a mainstream show (The Castiel x Dean name on Sheldons shipping chzart, countless reference to Doctor Who, Star Trek and Star Wars) and you're suddenly a geek.

Quote:
Keep in mind also that the producers are making this show for the general public consumption, and it's not really for cosplayers & fans like us. While many of us would be interested in how our fellow cosplayers would construct the costumes creatively, the creative process would bore the hell out of those people who are used to watching the drama from Kim Kardashian, or Snooki
Nobody wants to see how long it took you to sew that beautiful Princess Peach gown, or how much paint was used for your Vriska cosplay. If there's sabotage and some sort of random panic, then people are interested. Like, one girl got her embroideries shipped over to her. Instead of getting up early to get down and finish it, she went drinking in a Rainbow Dash cosplay and overslept, forcing her to bail the competition. One girl, while sweet, made it feel like if you were over weight, you would be known as "That one fat Merida' Or so and so. It makes me feel like unless I had a skinny waist and huge tits, I couldn't play her.

Plus, Merida's has more of a pear shape? She isn't a small waist kinnda gal, so I don't know why she said that.

The only one I'm rooting for is the guy who did Fallout 3, I really like his attitude and response to everything. He seems pretty goodhearted from my perspective, and compared to the other girls.
Pyrrha- RWBY-20%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #2568
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
If anyone is going to Otakon Vegas, there is a bar in the downtown area with a video game/geek theme. It's on Fremont Street so it's a bit of either a drive or you can take a bus to downtown.

http://www.insertcoinslv.com/
*SCREAMS YES A BAR WITH E.N.G AND LONG ISLANDS AND AND*

*Faints because I stay on Fremount street*

Edited ten seconds later, Nevermind that I don't wanna go/
Pyrrha- RWBY-20%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #2569
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I was highly confused why they did that in the first place ono, especially when one scene had proof of it saying "LOS ANGELES"
The producers most likely thought the footage that they had wasn't exciting enough, so they changed things around to spice things up, and make it more exciting. (Even if it meant being misleading & deceitful.)

Reality show producers are notorious for changing things around, and lying about things.

Here's a spoof from DragonCon regarding the language of T.V. show producers and executives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdzthLqqMtw
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #2570
Black_The_White

Yeah, everytime they were talking about the convention the cosplayers were getting ready for, they showed clips of AX. There weren't any clips from the convention aside from the competition, and when the cosplayers walked down the steps all 'dramatically' where people were actually WAITING for them to come down. Like that really happens..hahaha.

I think a lot of the drama was realistic, basing it off my own experiences and how anal I am about certain things. But a lot of it was amped up to be even more dramatic than it should have been, because it's obviously a reality show. Yes, some of them came off as snobby, but what do you expect when you call yourself the "ambassador" of cosplay. Although, I can see why she would be worried. If you don't come out with new cosplays, people will get bored eventually. It's like if you're a musician, you have to keep coming out with music to stay "on top" and current.

Anime Expo actually made a statement..I think on facebook, about keeping track on tumblr how often AX was being shown in the episode. So they at least had knowledge it was being used/filmed there. I doubt they realized that they'd get no real credit about it being their convention and not another..
Alkaid [.Hack//G.U.] -planning

Conventions
Anime LA 2014
Anime Expo 2014
Otakon Vegas 2014
Fanime 2014
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #2571
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

I finally got around to watching the much complained about "Heroes of Cosplay" reality show through an internet source. Just... why? I've never raged so much over a reality TV show IN UNDER 3 MINUTES. Easily the worst reality show I've seen in years and that's saying something.

It's so damn deceitful that they used mostly AX footage. They knew that whatever they filmed at Wizardcon wasn't so hot but why not just admit they shot the majority of the show at an entirely different event? People going to WizardCon next year may be very disappointed and confused...

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #2572
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Here's a spoof from DragonCon regarding the language of T.V. show producers and executives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdzthLqqMtw
That is a great spoof of the TV industry as a whole. I know it because I know people who work in it and they all talk about how cutthroat it is.

The video also applies to movie producers and executives too.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2014 LA Anime Expo
2015 Anime LA

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Patterns Completed, Leather gauntlet cuffs and boot covers.
Hero's Shade: In the process of starting. 0% complete.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #2573
Citrakite
Journey into a Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
That is a great spoof of the TV industry as a whole. I know it because I know people who work in it and they all talk about how cutthroat it is.

The video also applies to movie producers and executives too.
We value fan imput and care about this franchise as much as you do and wouldn't do anything that wasn't needed to help translate it to the big screen.

Translation: We're going to gut it like a fish and remove most of why fans ever wanted to see this because it makes more money that way then being remotely like the source material.

Fuck Man of Steel.
Anime Expo -Done
Saboten-Con
Tucson Comic-Con
Anime Los Angeles

"Kilts were of course everyday wear. In battle we'd don full length sequin gowns to blind our enemies." -Groundskeeper Willie
Citrakite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #2574
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Fuck Man of Steel.
Hey! You can't copulate the Earth's greatest Kryptonian! He moves way too fast, and it's all going to be one super big red & blue blur for you!

Besides, he's already been taken by Lois Lane! Plus, she'll club you to death with her laptop for even thinking of trying to fornicate with her main man!

All kidding aside...

It's interesting that one of the of the cosplayers, (I'm not going to say who) who was featured in the show, had admitted at one of their Facebook posts, that the drama was exaggerated to make it more exciting in the show. (No surprise there.) And a lot of the situations were staged. (Gasp! No!)

Hcoregamer00 also wrote in another thread section that was discussing about the show on this forum. He wasn't happy that the con he worked on for years, AX was used as a footage substitute for the Portland/Wizard Con in the show.

I love the show's Bull*** tag line of "Every year, millions of people help turn fantasy into reality at costuming competitions". (So we all cosplay, just so we can compete with other people? We can fulfill our fantasies by dressing up & competing with other people? And who wrote that tagline anyway? Someone from a cheap Las Vegas strip club show?)

I also love the SyFY tagline of "SyFy follows the hottest cosplay stars"... (What?! We actually have the "hottest stars" in the cosplay community?! Really?! Really?!!!)

Here's also a link to a extended trailer from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epo1F4lc_lE

Remember people, according to this show, it's about the drama, drama, and drama! And more drama! (Forget about a real life documentary about cosplayers! This is Reality T.V.!)

Postnote: Here's a quote from Mark Cronin, the executive producer from "Heroes of Cosplay": (He gave his reason, as to why there was only 1 male in the show.)

http://www.tvguide.com/news/syfy-her...y-1069142.aspx

"Male characters tend to be simpler-lots of body armor and weaponry and spandex and capes. They're usually nowwhere as near as interesting or intricate or as sexy as cool, as the costumes worn by the women."

You can tell that he obviously know nothing about cosplay. Both male & female costumes can be just as intricate & sexy & cool, irregardless of gender. (Producer translation: We rather just show more of the sexy pretty girls to get the ratings up.)

Needless to say, his ignorant remarks pissed a lot of people in the cosplay community.

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #2575
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Just some notes about Japan Expo..

It doesn't sound like it's going off to a good start.

One girl was already complaining that she paid $100 for a premium ticket, and couldn't make it at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Japan Expo absolutely refused to refund her, or have it transferred for next year. (So she's out $100.)

Another girl brought up the fact, that the con hotel has now offered a discount of $99 for people who didn't book with the con block. (Which was cheaper than the con rate, and not fair for the attendees who booked it at the more expensive con rate.) It sounds like the hotel can't fill the rooms, and they screwed up the negotiations with the hotel.

I've been hearing other stuff as well, that it's disorganized, and they don't seem to able to grasp the concept of how cons are run in America. Apparently, they are being stubborn, and are trying run it like the French model.

I have a bad feeling about this..
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #2576
El_Duque
miyoshi82

If you get bored, at least Great America is right there.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji
Wondercon
Anime Expo
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2577
Access

Quote:
I have a bad feeling about this..
We'll they've also been quick to adapt in the past when troubles came up.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #2578
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
We'll they've also been quick to adapt in the past when troubles came up.
But it took an angry mob on FB for them to change that. I doubt they could refund people at this time since the con is what...this weekend?
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji
Wondercon
Anime Expo
San Diego Comic Con
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo

Last edited by El_Duque : 08-22-2013 at 09:34 AM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #2579
Codename Otacon
BONK!

Quote:
Just some notes about Japan Expo..

It doesn't sound like it's going off to a good start.

One girl was already complaining that she paid $100 for a premium ticket, and couldn't make it at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Japan Expo absolutely refused to refund her, or have it transferred for next year. (So she's out $100.)
I'll be pissed if that happened to me.

Does AX do Black Friday or Cyber Monday for their badges? I'm not paying $55(or more)for a con that only uses half the convention floor.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2014*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Medic(Fem! The Uncivil Servant)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #2580
TheRealZain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename Otacon View Post
I'll be pissed if that happened to me.

Does AX do Black Friday or Cyber Monday for their badges? I'm not paying $55(or more)for a con that only uses half the convention floor.
But it's already in your sig that you're planning to go?

Anyway, I Cyber Monday'd my 2013 pass for $45. Just keep checking their main page, I guess.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote