Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #2566
Citrakite
Journey into a Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
That is a great spoof of the TV industry as a whole. I know it because I know people who work in it and they all talk about how cutthroat it is.

The video also applies to movie producers and executives too.
We value fan imput and care about this franchise as much as you do and wouldn't do anything that wasn't needed to help translate it to the big screen.

Translation: We're going to gut it like a fish and remove most of why fans ever wanted to see this because it makes more money that way then being remotely like the source material.

Fuck Man of Steel.
Anime Expo - Next
Saboten-Con
Tucson Comic-Con

"Kilts were of course everyday wear. In battle we'd don full length sequin gowns to blind our enemies." -Groundskeeper Willie.
Citrakite is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #2567
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Fuck Man of Steel.
Hey! You can't copulate the Earth's greatest Kryptonian! He moves way too fast, and it's all going to be one super big red & blue blur for you!

Besides, he's already been taken by Lois Lane! Plus, she'll club you to death with her laptop for even thinking of trying to fornicate with her main man!

All kidding aside...

It's interesting that one of the of the cosplayers, (I'm not going to say who) who was featured in the show, had admitted at one of their Facebook posts, that the drama was exaggerated to make it more exciting in the show. (No surprise there.) And a lot of the situations were staged. (Gasp! No!)

Hcoregamer00 also wrote in another thread section that was discussing about the show on this forum. He wasn't happy that the con he worked on for years, AX was used as a footage substitute for the Portland/Wizard Con in the show.

I love the show's Bull*** tag line of "Every year, millions of people help turn fantasy into reality at costuming competitions". (So we all cosplay, just so we can compete with other people? We can fulfill our fantasies by dressing up & competing with other people? And who wrote that tagline anyway? Someone from a cheap Las Vegas strip club show?)

I also love the SyFY tagline of "SyFy follows the hottest cosplay stars"... (What?! We actually have the "hottest stars" in the cosplay community?! Really?! Really?!!!)

Here's also a link to a extended trailer from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epo1F4lc_lE

Remember people, according to this show, it's about the drama, drama, and drama! And more drama! (Forget about a real life documentary about cosplayers! This is Reality T.V.!)

Postnote: Here's a quote from Mark Cronin, the executive producer from "Heroes of Cosplay": (He gave his reason, as to why there was only 1 male in the show.)

http://www.tvguide.com/news/syfy-her...y-1069142.aspx

"Male characters tend to be simpler-lots of body armor and weaponry and spandex and capes. They're usually nowwhere as near as interesting or intricate or as sexy as cool, as the costumes worn by the women."

You can tell that he obviously know nothing about cosplay. Both male & female costumes can be just as intricate & sexy & cool, irregardless of gender. (Producer translation: We rather just show more of the sexy pretty girls to get the ratings up.)

Needless to say, his ignorant remarks pissed a lot of people in the cosplay community.

Last edited by Hakaider : 08-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #2568
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Just some notes about Japan Expo..

It doesn't sound like it's going off to a good start.

One girl was already complaining that she paid $100 for a premium ticket, and couldn't make it at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Japan Expo absolutely refused to refund her, or have it transferred for next year. (So she's out $100.)

Another girl brought up the fact, that the con hotel has now offered a discount of $99 for people who didn't book with the con block. (Which was cheaper than the con rate, and not fair for the attendees who booked it at the more expensive con rate.) It sounds like the hotel can't fill the rooms, and they screwed up the negotiations with the hotel.

I've been hearing other stuff as well, that it's disorganized, and they don't seem to able to grasp the concept of how cons are run in America. Apparently, they are being stubborn, and are trying run it like the French model.

I have a bad feeling about this..
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #2569
El_Duque
miyoshi82

If you get bored, at least Great America is right there.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2570
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I have a bad feeling about this..
We'll they've also been quick to adapt in the past when troubles came up.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #2571
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
We'll they've also been quick to adapt in the past when troubles came up.
But it took an angry mob on FB for them to change that. I doubt they could refund people at this time since the con is what...this weekend?

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015

Last edited by El_Duque : 08-22-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #2572
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Just some notes about Japan Expo..

It doesn't sound like it's going off to a good start.

One girl was already complaining that she paid $100 for a premium ticket, and couldn't make it at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Japan Expo absolutely refused to refund her, or have it transferred for next year. (So she's out $100.)
I'll be pissed if that happened to me.

Does AX do Black Friday or Cyber Monday for their badges? I'm not paying $55(or more)for a con that only uses half the convention floor.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #2573
TheRealZain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename Otacon View Post
I'll be pissed if that happened to me.

Does AX do Black Friday or Cyber Monday for their badges? I'm not paying $55(or more)for a con that only uses half the convention floor.
But it's already in your sig that you're planning to go?

Anyway, I Cyber Monday'd my 2013 pass for $45. Just keep checking their main page, I guess.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #2574
Access

Personally I'm wondering if I should pre-reg this year or just pay the at-con price to avoid the lines. I know it will be more expensive but if I have to choose between paying $30. or so extra or standing in line for 2-5 hours, I'd rather have the 2-5 hours back.
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #2575
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZain View Post
But it's already in your sig that you're planning to go?
I'm still going, but if the four days badge price is going up...I'll just buy the exhibit hall pass.

Quote:
Anyway, I Cyber Monday'd my 2013 pass for $45. Just keep checking their main page, I guess.
I get the feeling that they won't announce it on their facebook, just like they didn't make any announcement about when is the last day you buy a $45 badge. I'll be stalking the main page for now on.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #2576
Waifu Beam
emiya plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename Otacon View Post
They've done it years past so I'm sure this year is no exception. Unless they somehow magically stop doing it.

Butler!Alvin - [Tales of Xillia] ⋆

Next Stop: Anime Expo

Facebook - Instagram
Waifu Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #2577
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Looks like this thread is going to be slow for a while, so how was everybody's Japan Expo? For those who went.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #2578
threebox

I liked it a lot.

Multiple concerts/performances each day. What's nice about this is that even if you couldn't go Friday you'd be able to catch a performance on Saturday. I ended up missing events at AX because too many overlapped.
Cultural stuff which you don't get to see at other conventions.
Guests were small in number but enjoyable picks, even the ones I had never heard of before.

I hope they hold it again. I hope it met their expectations attendance wise or came close. I hope it grows.

Last edited by threebox : 08-27-2013 at 02:45 PM.
threebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #2579
DrScorpio
Lucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebox View Post
I liked it a lot.

Multiple concerts/performances each day. What's nice about this is that even if you couldn't go Friday you'd be able to catch a performance on Saturday. I ended up missing events at AX because too many overlapped.
Cultural stuff which you don't get to see at other conventions.
Guests were small in number but enjoyable picks, even the ones I had never heard of before.

I hope they hold it again. I hope it met their expectations attendance wise or came close. I hope it grows.
I enjoyed it, but I have my doubts about if they will have another one next year. They got nowhere near their expected attendance and exhibitors broke even if they were lucky. I believe most lost money.

Its possible they might hold one next year as an investment for the future.
DrScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #2580
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrScorpio View Post
I enjoyed it, but I have my doubts about if they will have another one next year. They got nowhere near their expected attendance and exhibitors broke even if they were lucky. I believe most lost money.

Its possible they might hold one next year as an investment for the future.
Well that is the risk they take being at a first-year con (or any con). There is always risk associated with profit.

I haven't heard anything negative about the con from my friends that went. Yes it was probably a bit on the small side, but everyone had a lot of fun regardless. I saw some great videos made of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzzIwIvh9Po
(be sure to watch till the end)

I personally don't understand why first-year cons are to be held at convention centers, but that is just me.

Last edited by Access : 08-27-2013 at 06:03 PM.