Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
arsenicCatnip

Question ebay or arda? (kinda long ;w;)

i'm starting to tackle my ibuki mioda cosplay and i've got the wig pretty much entirely planned out. i just need to order everything!

i'm just not sure where to order my wig stuff from, because all my wigs so far have been from ebay and they've been decent, but i know people who swear by arda's quality, only use arda, etc.
that being said, i've been curious to get myself a wig from arda for my next cosplay, and i'm thinking about getting my ibuki base wig and wefts from them.

...but i figured out the costs, and when everything's added together, it'd cost me over $110... and that is a sum of money i'm not sure i want to pay considering i'm trying to save as much money as i can. ebay wigs would definitely be much cheaper, but i also want to put a lot of effort into this cosplay, and if the difference in quality is really that noticeable between arda and ebay sellers, i'd seriously consider getting everything from arda.

i've considered just putting off an arda order until i work on a cosplay that isn't as massive of a project wig-wise, but i really wanna make this the best it can be.

tl;dr i want to know if it'd really be worth it to spend about $110 on a wig plus some packs of wefts from arda, or if i should just go with ebay like i have in the past.

what would you guys suggest? ;w; is arda worth it in this case?
arsenicCatnip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I've never bought a wig for Ebay but I've never regretted a purchase from Arda. The wigs are so full and so well put together. I love them.

Epic-Cosplay seems to be a nice middle ground though. I've purchased from them a few times and have been quite pleased.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Why would all your stuff cost that much? There may be a less expensive alternative or two, even with a brand like Arda.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Melancholy Wish
Tsundere

Arda wigs I admit are beautiful. For some reason when I buy ebay wigs...people can tell, because they have a cheap look to it.
Melancholy Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
arsenicCatnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Why would all your stuff cost that much? There may be a less expensive alternative or two, even with a brand like Arda.
i'd be getting a black jareth long, two packs (white and black) of long wefts, two packs (turquoise and raspberry) of short wefts, plus wefting thread, a needle and a wig stand (i really need one ; w ; ). altogether including shipping, it's around $110-111.

...it's a lot of stuff ;w;
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

Personally, I've gotten wigs from ebay and arda and it depends on what you need. Ebay is great for simple base wigs (and if you don't have a giant head that will be squeezed by tiny wigs!). Arda is very nice for specific styles of wigs that you can't find elsewhere. And they are known for quality and being pretty dependable. But I've gotten some reallllyyy nice ebay wigs that I've loved far more than any of my arda wigs.

If you decide to buy from ebay, I'd try really hard to get all my wig needs from one seller, because there's a better chance the colors will be consistent and maybe shipping will be cheaper. I think spending $100+ is out of my league for just one cosplay wig concoction, but I'm kinda stingy However, if you plan on wearing this wig until it dies, then maybe investing the extra money isn't a bad idea.
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

Most of the wigs I've bought from eBay do have a cheap shiny look to them (the ones that didn't are my Serah wig and one of my back-up Sheryl ones). For the most part, there is a noticeable difference between eBay wigs and Arda but it really depends on the seller. Arda uses hiperlon fibers and the colors are blended for a more realistic look (plus they're not shiny). However... Arda's longer wigs do love to tangle a bit. The same thing could be said about eBay wigs but from all the Arda wigs I've used, they take stress the best.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

For Ibuki Mioda I would just get an extra pack of white wefts and dye the fiber to the dark blue and pink shades with iDye poly if you want to say a bit of money and you have access to that dye.

And you don' need wefting thread. It might be nice to have but i just use sewing thread double up on swig for 120 years now to match my wig shades. I also get my upholstery needle needles from a sewing store and my dollar store (the curved and straight ones).

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I agree with Ani_Bee. 1 Jareth Long ($40) + 1 pack short black wefts ($9) + 1 pack white or silver long wefts ($15)= $64. If you live near a craft store or Joann's, you can sign up for coupons and buy fabric dye and needles for less. Check out the new dye guide that Arda posted on their site (under tutorials). Best of luck!
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
arsenicCatnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
For Ibuki Mioda I would just get an extra pack of white wefts and dye the fiber to the dark blue and pink shades with iDye poly if you want to say a bit of money and you have access to that dye.
i don't have access to that dye but at this point i'm leaning towards saving arda for a simpler cosplay and going with l-email (usual taobao source for my wigs) and you reminded me that wig dyeing is a thing. i totally forgot!! ^ ^" thank you. that lets me get just one long white wig and use that for all three wefted-in colors.

on that note, would you (or anyone else really) happen to know how well dyeing works with wigs from ebay? i cant find anything about the wig fibers other than that it's heat resistant. could they be kanekalon? it's the only heat-resistant fiber i know of. maybe there's more, idk.

if i dyed a wig, i'd either use sharpie or copic marker ink, since i can pick those up in-person. maybe i should make a separate thread for this, but i'd like to know how successful that method is on wigs like this.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

Dyeing wigs from eBay works just fine since heat resistant wigs take synthetic dyes quite well. As for what to use, fabric dye (such as RIT) tends to be less messy and doesn't rub off like marker ink tends to do. Ink dyes tend to bleed onto your clothes unless you rinse them out a lot. You'll also get a truer color with fabric dye.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
arsenicCatnip

Quote:
I agree with Ani_Bee. 1 Jareth Long ($40) + 1 pack short black wefts ($9) + 1 pack white or silver long wefts ($15)= $64. If you live near a craft store or Joann's, you can sign up for coupons and buy fabric dye and needles for less. Check out the new dye guide that Arda posted on their site (under tutorials). Best of luck!
wow sorry i didn't even see this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celcia View Post
Dyeing wigs from eBay works just fine since heat resistant wigs take synthetic dyes quite well. As for what to use, fabric dye (such as RIT) tends to be less messy and doesn't rub off like marker ink tends to do. Ink dyes tend to bleed onto your clothes unless you rinse them out a lot. You'll also get a truer color with fabric dye.
i took a look at arda's dye guide as suggested by PSY-chan and i was really excited because i was like "a compromise!! yay!!!" and was about to decide on dyeing white arda wefts, but... it seems that RIT's pinks and blues don't seem to work with arda's fibers at ALL, and i have a feeling it'd be the same with ebay wigs.

...so we're back to square one, it seems... orz

at least i found out about this before i bought anything! ^ ^"
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

I posted this in another thread but might as well post it here. eBay buying guide~

1. ALWAYS check the seller's feedback, positive and negative. Take time to read through the reviews both good and bad. A "top-rated seller" sticker is good news. If the seller has less than 98% feedback I wouldn't waste your time.
2. Avoid listings that are listed as 1 cent but then shipping is $20 or so, these are usually bad news.
3. Be cautious of the following describing words. "Hot, hot sell, sale, party, sexy (or any other word like this such as "pretty" or "fabulous"), fashion". Sometimes though sellers do sell good quality wigs and just stick these words in the title to get more search results pop up. Still be cautious of the title.
4. The price. If the wig is new under $15 it's probably too good to be true. The wig may be bad quality.
5. ALWAYS check the description of the item before you buy it, most of the time it will state what the wig's made out of, if it's heat resistant, the length, and sometimes even have extra pictures.
6. Be careful when looking at pictures!! Some people may steal photos from other sites so you may not get what you expect.

You can also check the Marketplace and post a wanted ad. If you want quality though I'd say go for Arda. I bought the wig that I'm wearing in my avatar from eBay and even though it is a /little/ shiny it's nothing too bothersome.
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned/WIP Cosplays
Princess Serenity (Sailor Moon Crystal)
Ariel (The Little Mermaid)

Last edited by Randommerade : 08-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I would just sharpie dye the bangs. Check out Hee Hee's multicolored wig from Arda's Iron Wig challenge. All done with sharpies. You may be able to layer some fabric beneath the wefts for a little bulk and color. Best of luck!
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
arsenicCatnip

Quote:
I would just sharpie dye the bangs. Check out Hee Hee's multicolored wig from Arda's Iron Wig challenge. All done with sharpies. You may be able to layer some fabric beneath the wefts for a little bulk and color. Best of luck!
that's coloring directly onto the fiber and then rinsing, correct?
i've heard various things about using sharpies, i read some peoples' posts saying that it rubs off really easily and other people saying it doesn't at all, some people saying rinse in alcohol (??? i was of the impression that alcohol removes sharpie ink) and others saying rinse in cold water.

but i'm sure i can figure that out with the help of google. thank you guys so much! ^ ^