Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 08-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
_Deimos_

Cotton Twill?

Has anyone worked with cotton twill?
Does it loose its color quick? ( I know to wash before working with it to minimize shrinkage and color fade)
Will it come apart faster than other materials?
Does it insulate well?

Pretty much any tips and advice will help this newbie cosplayer

Thank you
Disgruntled student 100%

~~ACEN 2015~~
Link (Twilight Princess) 1% (Buffing up stage XD)
Link (Oracle of Seasons/Age) 1% (buffing stage)
Link (Ocarina of Time) 1% (Buffing stage)

"It is something that grows over time... a true friendship. A feeling in the heart that becomes stronger over time..."---Sheik
_Deimos_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

I've worked with cotton twill for my Kairi costume several years back. It doesn't really fade fast and it's pretty durable. As for how well it breathes... it doesn't seem to breathe that well but it hasn't cooked me.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I lovelovelove cotton twill. I'd make everything from it if I could!

I've never had color fading issues with it, though I suppose that's a little dependent on the manufacturer.

For durability, etc. there are different weights of twill. The lighter stuff obviously won't take as much of a beating as the heavier stuff, but all around it's a pretty durable fabric.

As far as insulation goes, again, it's kind of dependent on how heavy the stuff you get is. However, because it's a natural fiber and not a synthetic, it'll have some breathability and won't trap the heat as much as polyester would.

What are you making with it?
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

First of ask you why you're asking these questions - we'd all be able to give better answers that way.

I think you need to go to a store like JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby and take a look at their fabrics and touch them and learn their names.

If you did that, you'd already have an idea that the typical cotton twill is a durable bottomweight fabric. It could certainly be made lighter - so weave and fibre aren't absolutely everything. Weight and how the fibres are spun is also important - this is why people go to fabric stores to touch the fabric in person or they will order swatches if buying online.

If it will fade quickly depends more on the dye than the fabric. If you're buying commercially dyed fabric, it's not something you really need to worry about - and if dying it yourself pick a quality dye that is suitable for the fibre and follow the directions. The only time I'd worry about fading is on something with an unusual process or finish.

If you went to the fabric store you'd also know that it's not going to "come apart" easily. I really encourage you to learn more about fibres and weaves and do some research on your own. There are pages and books that go over this basic information.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
_Deimos_

Well I was thinking of making a tunic (Twilight Princess) two versions one is the normal version and a "I-just-got-the-stuffing-knocked-out-of-me" version. Sorry I did write what I wanted to do but then I got logged off and I forgot to rewrite it in.

The fabric I was looking at is already dyed so I as long as I take care of it it will be fine. Now I was thinking to go with the heavier material or the lighter material for the tunic?

I took a look at both of them and honestly I like them both. but which would look more "normal"? By normal I mean natural looking tunic?
Disgruntled student 100%

~~ACEN 2015~~
Link (Twilight Princess) 1% (Buffing up stage XD)
Link (Oracle of Seasons/Age) 1% (buffing stage)
Link (Ocarina of Time) 1% (Buffing stage)

"It is something that grows over time... a true friendship. A feeling in the heart that becomes stronger over time..."---Sheik
_Deimos_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

A heavier cotton twill is a good "budget" fabric for a Link costume. More ideal would be wool flannel. A "different" but interesting take I've seen is faux suede.

Now, I don't know the weight of the fabric you're considering - so I can't tell you if the heavier or lighter one is better - you'll have to touch it and hold it and observe how it drapes.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote