Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
ZeroRaptor
Cosplay Newbie

FF7 SOLDIER Armor

I'm trying to figure out what would be the ideal material to craft the chestpiece and helm of this cosplay?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F...IER_sketch.jpg

I'm looking for feedback about what is the best material and what is a more budget-friendly material ($300-ish). I'm just starting out in cosplay-making so I'm trying to see what is possible and what's more realistic for me financially.

Thank you!
ZeroRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

$300 is a great budget actually haha. the clothing you can just buy (shirt, pants, gloves, arm bands, boot bases). The rest you obviously have to make..
On to the making..

Chest:
You can really use ANY flexable material or clay. I would say just buy a bunch of EVA foam mat type foam. Use paper to figure out the sizing and stuff of the chest plate, then trace and cut it out. After that, if you have a heat gun you would use that, if not a stove works just fine. put a towel around your body (like a female does when getting out of the shower, over the chest and such). Make sure it's nice and smooth (also have a shirt on, this thing will be HOT). Once heated you can shape ot over your chest so it fits the shape better (the inner side may be formed to your chest if you are muscular (not sure if you're a guy or not, if not, bind first). the outter side (the side you everyone will see) will not form to the chest pattern, so don't worry..Then use a sealer, like gesso if needed, or EVA glue if needed..Then paint it..You can also use something the right size to make the holes before you shape it..A heated up cookie cutter would be best

Shoulders:
Use a tape measure and measure from the side closest to the neck, going over the shoulder down the arm to the opposite side. Then do the same the other direction (meaning going perpendicular to the last measurement). Try to be as centered as possible for this. Then using those measurements, make a + sign on the inner side of the foam and draw out the "flattened" looking armor. It will NOT look right, but should look symetrical..Then cut that out. Use the towel method again and cover the shoulder. SOLDIER guys armor is a lottlt bigger around the shoulder then most, so you can layer up a few towels to make it bigger..If you do, take the measurements with the towels on. You can duct tape the towels under the arm too to make then stay. Then heat the foam again, and form it over your shoulder. Once done do the same paint process as the chest and you're done with the armor.

You didn't mention the belt, but if you need, I can tell you that too as I've made one for Cloud. You will need to have straps on the belt like they do, which is where the armor will all attach to.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
ZeroRaptor
Cosplay Newbie

For body shape, I'm a girl with a chest that's about as flat as a cardboard so I shouldn't have to do too much formation on the chestpiece, I imagine.

The pauldrons seem to be attached right to the chestpiece so it would look like the whole top part would fit over my head and then attachments would secure it under my armpits. (This is the classic SOLDIER outfit I'm doing, not the Crisis Core version.)

The belt shouldn't be too hard to replicate if I can find a sizable leather belt to modify.
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Taken from the same Wikia that you got that pic from:
The SOLDIER outfits are composed of sleeveless turtle-neck sweaters and baggy pants, with leather accents that hold on their armor in place and their weapon when not in use."

I made in bold what I was talking about..

That picture you used was a concept sketch before they finished. All soldiers wear that same belt, and they ALL have the shoulder straps like Zack's does. You could do what you are talking about, though. All you have to do is make circles of foam and glue the chestplate and armor to the back of it. But still, they actually DO have the straps.
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
ZeroRaptor
Cosplay Newbie

The concept art I linked supports the actual in-game sprite for the SOLDIER NPCs you fight, which is what I'm going for.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F...ER_2ND_FF7.png

I played the original PC version (1998) and never saw belt straps on the SOLDIER NPCs. Course, that could be attributed to the graphic limitations of that generation of 3D games. In any case, I want to do something different so whether they had leather straps or not, I'm going with just the belt. (Might make it easier for me to go to the bathroom without having to wrestle through so many belts.) xD
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I understand that, but you do notice that his arms are covering where the straps would be so that pictures angle would be blocking them..The part I put in quotation marks is directly from the same site..It was specifically placed under the final fantasy vii article..Not the crisis core, not advent children, not derge of cerberus, but FINAL FANTASY VII as in the original game. That belt will never fit that way without something holding it up, it will fall..I have one, I should know..If you don't have straps, you can't WEAR it..It's not a normal belt that goes into belt loops and is not real tight on you so it's not going to stay up by magic..
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
ZeroRaptor
Cosplay Newbie

Oh. That's what you meant.

Guess I'll go hunt down more leather belts.
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

If you want, you can get vinyl strapping. That's what I used..