Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
MrKnight

Cosplaying as a Bandit Marauder

This is my first time doing a serious cosplay but for it I didn't want to go too expensive or too hard to make.

http://videogame-art.com/wp-content/...inPenrod.j pg

That's what I want to go as and I need some help with the supplies and other things to it. Here's what I have a list to get so far.

-Linen fabric for the mask (people told me linen is easier to breath through)
-Goggles (I already have goggles for the mask but I would be open to a different type to get)
-paint supplies (to paint the symbol on the mask but I'm open to other alternatives to get it on there, it's my first time doing it so I might buy two fabrics incase I mess up with the first one)
-Blue sweater shirt (really easy to get probably for 17 bucks of that same color then just dirty it up, rip it a little and sew some stitches on the shoulder
-brown trousers
-brush gators (only need one for the right leg)
-snow mobile gloves possibly (or something that looks close)
-extra belts to wrap around leg

What I'm gonna need to know is:
-Where could I possibly buy a sash like the one he's wearing or am I better off making one myself?
-on the left arm, what could I substitute for the green piece wrapped there?
-I'm new to the whole mask creation so the bandana mask will be the hardest part for me, should I enlist my friend to help me cut out the eyesholes or pay someone to make it?

Thanks for any help
MrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Quiptorium

It's always great to see more Borderlands cosplay, especially the bandits.

1. I'm inclined to say finding a cheap underarm holster (Amazon, Ebay, or any military supply stores that might be in your area), but you might be better off using a belt or buying some strapping and covering it with leather/vinyl/etc.

2. You could probably find green fabric fairly cheap at any craft store (or find a cheap green t-shirt at your local Goodwill and shred it up) to use. If you want to replace it outright, maybe some kind of bracer? Arm guards from a sporting goods store/Goodwill could work as a replacement piece.

3. I'd get a friend to help you. Since the mask isn't one that's skintight and is really more of a wrap that's tied in the back, I'd put on the goggles, wrap the fabric around your face, then have a friend use a sharpie and outline where the edges of the goggles are. Then you can cut it out and trim as needed.

I hope these were helpful suggestions.
Quiptorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

For the mask, I'd really suggest that you should get a firm mask underneath it. You should be able to pick up a cheap Hallowe'en hockey mask, and mount (glue) the goggles onto that. You'll also glue the fabric to the mask, but still tie it up at the back.
There's numerous benefits to doing this. One is that it will stop you from looking like you've incredibly oddly tied a piece of fabric around your head. And another is that if you need to take it off for whatever reason, it will be much easier to put back on. You won't have to worry about lining everything, or how it's sitting on your face. And it will also make it even easier to breathe as the fabric won't be pressed up against your nose and mouth. (And also you don't have to worry about perspiration/condensation.)

Depending what climate you live in, you might not want to use gloves designed for cold weather. Already in long sleeves and full head covering, you might find that thick gloves will make you overheat.

Fabric paint for the vault symbol is fine. Bandits are rough and ready anyway, and they probably painted the symbols on themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean by substitute. Any (correct colour) green fabric would work. I'd go for something like a suiting material, or a heavier weight woven fabric. If you've got zero sewing skills, fold the raw edges of the fabric under (you could glue them down with spots of any ol' glue so they don't slip out), wrap it around your arm and belt it on with two belts. Check second-hand stores or dollar shops to get two narrow belts that are the same/similar.

If you've got a leather store near you, hit them up for some wide (3in) leather belting and a buckle (our local leather supplier sells a fantastic range of buckles and clips and the sort).
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
MrKnight

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it since this is my first time doing a serious cosplay and I'm gonna gather up the supplies on saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
For the mask, I'd really suggest that you should get a firm mask underneath it. You should be able to pick up a cheap Hallowe'en hockey mask, and mount (glue) the goggles onto that. You'll also glue the fabric to the mask, but still tie it up at the back.
There's numerous benefits to doing this. One is that it will stop you from looking like you've incredibly oddly tied a piece of fabric around your head. And another is that if you need to take it off for whatever reason, it will be much easier to put back on. You won't have to worry about lining everything, or how it's sitting on your face. And it will also make it even easier to breathe as the fabric won't be pressed up against your nose and mouth. (And also you don't have to worry about perspiration/condensation.)

Depending what climate you live in, you might not want to use gloves designed for cold weather. Already in long sleeves and full head covering, you might find that thick gloves will make you overheat.

Fabric paint for the vault symbol is fine. Bandits are rough and ready anyway, and they probably painted the symbols on themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean by substitute. Any (correct colour) green fabric would work. I'd go for something like a suiting material, or a heavier weight woven fabric. If you've got zero sewing skills, fold the raw edges of the fabric under (you could glue them down with spots of any ol' glue so they don't slip out), wrap it around your arm and belt it on with two belts. Check second-hand stores or dollar shops to get two narrow belts that are the same/similar.

If you've got a leather store near you, hit them up for some wide (3in) leather belting and a buckle (our local leather supplier sells a fantastic range of buckles and clips and the sort).
The mask is still the hardest part to me, I get what you're saying about gluing the fabric to the mask itself but won't that look a little messed up though? I mean as in won't the outline of the hockey mask show too much? I was just thinking about making it a small piece of fabric but enough to wrap around my head so it could fit to my face ya know?

Also for the hockey mask thing, what kind of glue should be used for that?
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
MrKnight

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was wondering about the hockey mask idea though. Wouldn't the outlines of the mask itself be too obvious with the look? I mean the bandits look like they just wrap it tightly around their faces, I was also wondering what would be the best fabric for that? I was probably gonna go with a small linen fabric to tightly wrap around my face.

The hockey mask isn't a bad idea though, is there a certain type of glue I should use for that and how should it go on?