Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
NonViolent
Doesn't like violence

How to take a good Cosplay Photo?

"Good Evening Cosplayers, I've attempted to take pictures of my cosplays in different locations and different poses and they all seem bad.. Someone Pm me ideas and tips? D: "
NonViolent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

[note: not gonna do this by PM; what we discuss here can potentially help other people who are reading this forum]

Can you post one or two examples of what you've done in the past, and what you think is bad about them?

In my opinion, the two primary things to consider for good cosplay photos - in fact, for any portraiture - are:
1) Lighting
2) Pose and facial expression

To a lesser extent:
3) Setting and background. If #1 and #2 are spot-on, you can make good photos in any setting.
4) Appropriate processing

This all assumes you have the very basics of photography under control, and know how to operate your camera.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Yes. Please post some samples of your work.

What are your objectives when taking Cosplay photos? Are you trying to document an event, or trying to capture controlled, directed portraits?

I support what Nathan suggested.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
NonViolent
Doesn't like violence

Well I just find that my pictures are not good, the lighting on my camera is bad and.. and... Dx neh!

To me it really looks bad. Should I get a new camera or..... ?
NonViolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Hmm. Where do I start?
The EXIF data says you're using an LG cell phone. While it's certainly possible to take good pictures with a cell phone camera, you sometimes have to work a little harder or think a little differently to do so. A "real" camera - be it a DSLR or just about any modern point-n-shoot, will let you adjust some settings in ways that a cell phone generally won't. Having said that, if you put an expensive camera on fully-automatic settings and don't change anything about your shooting/composition technique, your results won't be much better than what you're getting with your cell phone.

In the two samples you've posted above, the two things I've immediately noticed are:
- Lighting. Outside midafternoon on a cloudy day is pretty low on the list of "good" lighting.
- Composition/setting. In portraiture, the background is nearly as important as the subject. If the background distracts/detracts from the subject (and it does in both your examples) then the portrait is not a success. Look past the subject, look at the background elements. If the background doesn't work, then don't take the picture until you're in a place where the background DOES work.

I'm going to give you a challenge for the next couple of weeks: As you go about your daily routine, take note of light and shadow. Look for light sources, and really evaluate how the light falls on people and objects. Look for light that's interesting; also look for light that's boring so you can know to avoid it.

Here's a little hint: The last hour before the sun disappears under the horizon is called the "golden hour" - it's just about perfect for portraiture, especially at the end of a partly cloudy day. Go outside during that last hour and see how beautiful and interesting the light is, as it falls on faces and objects. Take a friend out to get a couple of portraits (they don't have to be cosplay) in the golden hour light - paying attention to how the light plays with facial features, and making sure to look past the subject to avoid including distracting background elements.

You don't have to travel to a more interesting location. A few steps left or right or a little bit of an upward or downward angle can make all the difference.

Here's a good read called "MOVE YOUR FEET" for making a good portrait in an uninteresting location. in this case, the subject is a car - but at their core, car portraits are (surprisingly) very similar to people portraits.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=536323

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
mixedmedia

^ this. All good stuff.
It is entirely possible to get decent shots out of a smartphone, but the odds are stacked against you if youre not familiar with optimizing the tech and lighting. Ideally, getting a DSLR would help tremendously, but they are cost prohibitive if youre not exactly looking to go gung-ho with photography. Aside from that, you may want to consider reading up on composition and lighting techniques on one of the umpteen blogs and sites on the web.
mixedmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
ikimax1805

↑ditto with all
Besides all these,expressions and posing are important too.
To corporate with the photographer and get the best out of it to be the character you are cosplaying(。・`ω´・)
ikimax1805 is offline   Reply With Quote