Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #541
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
Is the drop in image quality mostly when zoomed in that much, or would it be lower regardless? Mostly I wasn't wanting an SLR since I know that if it's too complicated, I won't use it, not even enough to get real familiar with it. The Canon looks good for the price. What's the difference between the EX price and the BGN price?
The image quality reduction applies to the entire zoom range. So even when zoomed out, I'd expect it to be worse than a more conservative P&S lens on something comparably priced. On top of that, aside from really expensive top-tier stuff, the sharpness of most lenses goes down as you zoom in.

KEH's grading scale is described here:

http://www.keh.com/PopupGrade.aspx

Keep in mind that it's geared primarily towards collectors as opposed to users, so they're very strict about their grading. EX means stuff like small scratches while BGN means pretty obvious scuffs and scratches. For either one, the camera is still 100% functional and the image quality is unaffected.

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #542
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
The image quality reduction applies to the entire zoom range. So even when zoomed out, I'd expect it to be worse than a more conservative P&S lens on something comparably priced. On top of that, aside from really expensive top-tier stuff, the sharpness of most lenses goes down as you zoom in.

KEH's grading scale is described here:

http://www.keh.com/PopupGrade.aspx

Keep in mind that it's geared primarily towards collectors as opposed to users, so they're very strict about their grading. EX means stuff like small scratches while BGN means pretty obvious scuffs and scratches. For either one, the camera is still 100% functional and the image quality is unaffected.
Alrighty. Thank you~
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #543
vietgirl018
hibiki

So i'm looking to buy a camera within maybe 2 week to a month. I havent own a camera for over year now. The last camera I had was a sony hx5v. I usually use my camera at conventions, trips, dinners, parties, concerts, life, etc.

Thing I hated about the sony hx5v:
* it had heating problems.
* the battery would die within 4 hours of constant use.
* I would take a picture and sometimes it would take 3-5 seconds for it to process which bugged me since the person/animal would have moved so the pic is now blurry.

What I'm looking for:
* My price limit is about $205 with tax/shipping.
* I like to be able to take pictures in low light and have high zoom of at least 15+
* I dont want the camera to be fat since I would take it to conventions or trips sometimes. I want to be able to throw the camera into my purse or pocket.
* I want to be able to record in 1080 if possible.
* I want the processing speed to be fast.
* I want to be able to take pictures of people/animals that are moving clear.
* My hand shakes sometimes when taking pictures so yeah...
* I want it to have good battery life and have no heating problems.

I have looked at Samsung WB250F, Samsung WB800F, and Nikon Coolpix S9500. I cant tell which of those are better or if there is one even better than those.

Please help me. >.<
Otaku Bento (Houston, TX base group)

Current cosplay plans:
* Black rabbit from Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 100%
* Sailor Saturn from Sailor Moon - 0%
* Meredy from Tales of Eternia/Destiny 2
* Luigi from Luigi's Mansion - 100%
* Sakura(Beginning of movie 2) from Cardcaptor sakura

Upcoming conventions:
* Katsuon 2014 (Feb 2014)
* Anime Matsuri (March 2014, Houston, TX)
vietgirl018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #544
jonashley

A lot of your speed issue is just the memory card...if you get a class "10" sd card, itll write to the card fast enough to not slow you down.

I bought a Coolpix s9050 a year ago at best buy (no wifi) just for concerts where they dont allow dslrs, Great battery life, has taken some abuse and does great video, shoots super wide and has 15.5 optical zoom. You can buy them used for 55 bucks or refurb for 90 and save your money...or you can get a new coolpix. Keep in mind those coolpix are deceptively heavier than you think they would be...they are solid for their deck of cards size form factor.

Another option to step up in quality but sacrifices form factor to something thats molded to your hands is the fujifilm finepix s4800 or s6800 (plenty of different models but that line is an excellent jump in quality and is like a mini dslr in terms of function).
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #545
KVN

You might as well just use your phone if you are considering those cameras. As for the hx5v, you need to turn off image review and get a fast card. After that you should be able to take one picture every second or two. Small cameras require more batteries. Spend the $3 extra dollars and get another battery or two.
KVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #546
KJH-Photography
Just another Nikonian

So looking into purchasing a second camera. Kinda stuck choosing between a Nikon D7000, D7100, or just getting another D90 altogether. Any suggestions guys?
Tumblr
KJH-Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #547
Wyumez

I really like my NEX-6 with my fisheye lens for conventions.. The downside is: you need to get really close to your subject.
Wyumez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #548
jonashley

if youre debating a 7100\7000 or d90 thats a big jump. The d7100 has an incredible sensor and youll need good glass to take advantage of it. A used d90 for a backup will cost you about 300 bucks for a low shutter count...if thats all you need, a backup, go for a second one they are cheap. If I stick to DX sensor, the d7100 is my only choice before going FF since mostly I own FF lenses.
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #549
KJH-Photography
Just another Nikonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonashley View Post
if youre debating a 7100\7000 or d90 thats a big jump. The d7100 has an incredible sensor and youll need good glass to take advantage of it. A used d90 for a backup will cost you about 300 bucks for a low shutter count...if thats all you need, a backup, go for a second one they are cheap. If I stick to DX sensor, the d7100 is my only choice before going FF since mostly I own FF lenses.
You are right, plus for what I typically shoot, a powerful camera like the 7100 isn't necessary just yet. Though its funny, in all my research I found refurbished 7000 with 18-105mm and a new d90 with the same lenses, but the d7000 is cheaper lol
Tumblr
KJH-Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #550
LarryMHolder
Photographer and Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH-Photography View Post
You are right, plus for what I typically shoot, a powerful camera like the 7100 isn't necessary just yet. Though its funny, in all my research I found refurbished 7000 with 18-105mm and a new d90 with the same lenses, but the d7000 is cheaper lol
The D7000 is excellent, been using it since 2011 and I'm beyond pleased with it.
LarryMHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #551
linda

if you want to click gorgeous pictures with fine technology then you must go for CANON- 24 cyber shot. it's awesome
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #552
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda View Post
CANON- 24 cyber shot
PowerShot is the trademark used by Canon.

Cyber-shot is a Sony trademark.

I'm not aware of a "24" model for either one.
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #553
ItsTroy

Any cosplay videographers have any input for a camera? I'm currently shooting with a Nikon, but quite unhappy with it since I'm unable to change settings while in live view as well as have no option for 1080/60p frame rate.

I was looking at going with the Panasonic G6, GH3, or GH4 (4k!), or switching over to a Canon and purchasing a 7D or 70D. I only have Nikon glass atm, so switching to Canon would be quite a re-investment.

WIP: Sojirou Seta (Log Horizon)
Cons: Shadocon, Holiday Matsuri
ItsTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #554
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

I'm not a videographer but I know that the 7D and 70D can't do 60fps at 1080p either, so those would be out.
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #555
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Are you shooting something in particular that requires 60fps? Unless you're planning on slowing it down in post, more isn't necessarily better. For most purposes, 24fps or 30fps will be plenty. I usually use 24fps.

If you're going specifically for video, and don't have much concern for stills, then a dedicated video camera will likely be a better option. Comparatively speaking, DSLRs are a pain in the goblin-hams to use for video.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote