Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
dancingkelpie

Yellow (Yang) Jacket/Skirt? Help!

After falling in love with the character Yang Xiao Long in the new RWBY trailer, I have decided to cosplay her. Only problem? I'm not that good at sewing and have NO IDEA how to start crafting the gorgeous skirt/vest/jacket-thing and skirt-belt(?) that she has.
reference image
I'm not 100% sure what fabric I would be use for this kind of thing, or where to being...
My question probably doesn't seem really clear at this point.
Let me put it this way, if you were going to make this cosplay, what would be the first step you would take to sewing the jacket&skirt.
(What fabric would you use, what pattern would you use, etc.)
Thank you soo much for the help in advance!!
dancingkelpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Akahime
Red Princess

Hi there! I'm about to start on my own Yellow/Yang Xiao Long cosplay myself! So I can give out ideas of what I've been planning/thinking on tackling Yellow's outfit.

1. Vest
- either find a pattern or use my business suits and vest as reference. I found a pattern, but I'm still going to rely on my vest that I already preown as a reference. Just make sure to cut the vest with a low v-neck so show off some of that cleavage. And if you don't like to show too much, then go ahead and make the v-neck higher. :3
- As for the extra designs on it, since it's multicolored, just make it up as I go along. 8D;; So this is where I will have to get creative and modify the pattern/reference to the way the vest actually looks like.
- sleeves, I must not forget to make it wider than usual at the top to make the sleeves puffy when I sew it on.
- Fabric choices. I had two in mind. Either pleather/vinyl (HAHAHA) or suiting fabric. I chose suiting. But if suiting is too expensive, cotton works fine to me. (I of course bought suiting fabric)

2. Skirt-belt
- SOOO my idea for this is I would just make it the way I am assuming it looks like and attach it to the belt. (the white part of the 'skirt' is pleated, so just don't forget to make it like that, I'm planning to use cotton, or cotton/polyester for this part and attach it on the belt too). And ta-dahhh, it should hang on my hips.

I hope this helped some! Good luck on your own Yellow cosplay! <33
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?, Bambi/MC (Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story)

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
rebel-cosplay

I found this gooooorgeous grey-brown suede/pleather fabric that I'm using for the jacket (it's leathery in appearance but flows like a suede rather than being stiff~) and am going to use suede for the brown trim on the jacket

I'd look for a blazer pattern or modify a blouse pattern if you can find a tutorial.

So in answer: suede or some sort of twill/bottomweight for the blazer and overskirt. Vinyl is a bitch to sew if you're new.
rebel-cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Akahime
Red Princess

I think bottomweight is a good choice. If you really have to use cotton (like I did because the suiting fabric color choices weren't good enough for me, lol) interface and double layering will do a good job of it making it look like it has form. LMAO

And rebel, bwaaaa, so lucky. I couldn't find pleather fabric. It would have been my first choice. ; w; and yeah, vinyl is INDEED a pain if you're new to it. I learned that the hard way. Hahaha.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?, Bambi/MC (Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story)

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
rebel-cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahime View Post
I think bottomweight is a good choice. If you really have to use cotton (like I did because the suiting fabric color choices weren't good enough for me, lol) interface and double layering will do a good job of it making it look like it has form. LMAO

And rebel, bwaaaa, so lucky. I couldn't find pleather fabric. It would have been my first choice. ; w; and yeah, vinyl is INDEED a pain if you're new to it. I learned that the hard way. Hahaha.
God it was a completely lucky find, especially on the day when I had a 50% off coupon. It was so expensive, but so pretty. (The things I put my bank account through!)

Also I have learned that corduroy is a horrible choice for making bias tape lmao. All of my corners are sorta round because it was too thick to miter :'D
rebel-cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
mmmeggg
I do as I please.

For the jacket on mine, I dug out my grandma's box of patterns and my PiC and I selected one jacket pattern with a nice collar she could work with and one pattern with puffy sleeves that she could add on to the base of the jacket pattern instead of the original sleeve pattern the jacket came with. Splicing patterns is your best friend for Yang's jacket! Mine came out great with this method. Hope this helps!
Friday: Battle Bunny Riven (League of Legends)
Saturday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Sunday: Meg Masters (Supernatural)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.

Formerly Clementine.
mmmeggg is offline   Reply With Quote