Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
tsukeru

Makeup cases for con-makeup only?

I've been thinking about investing in a makeup case for my con-only makeup. The only thing is, a lot of my makeup are categorized as characters right now since I only have a few that wear makeup. I would like to try and keep them separated if possible with a case. What kind of case do you use?
tsukeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Ion
Lyrical gangster

While those slick-looking metal train cases seem really awesome, I just roll with my travel toiletries bag. It was a lot cheaper, works the same, and keeps ALL my stuff organized. I separate out base items that get used for all characters, then can use individual pockets for character-specific items. I like having all my cosmetics and toiletries in 1 bag but still organized. Pic related.

One inexpensive way to organize your makeup is to use a case or tin lying around the house. Some of my friends use gallon size zip baggies, their favorite lunch boxes, cookie tins, perfume gift box tins, old cigar boxes, bento boxes, or divider boxes like what you use for tools as makeup cases. I use a divider box at home to keep things separate and just pull what I need for cons.

When looking, you might ask yourself:
- How much storage do I need?
- How organized do I want it to be? Do I want pockets, dividers, or can it all be mixed?
- How much am I willing to spend? (You can spend cents to hundreds of dollars)
- How much space you are willing to sacrifice in your suitcase/ do I want to carry this separately?

I recommend checking out Pinterest for makeup bag and case ideas and inspiration, maybe you will see someone's pin that you really like.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
tsukeru

Thanks for all the great advice! I am still a bit of a makeup newb, so I'm learning as I go.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
mikazuki
三日月

Depending on how much makeup you have a trolly, Zuca or similar case maybe ideal HOWEVER if you have little makeup then an actor's bag would be better. There are so many on the market with most starting at around $5 and of course go up a few hundred dollars. Zuca makes a great utility pouch, OnDgo makes fantastic actors bags and set bags.

http://www.naimies.com/bags-cases/ba...=price&dir=asc
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Somethingducky

Caboodles has lots of different makeup cases at very affordable prices (usually not more than $25), I bought mine at Target but I've seen them at Walmart and Ulta as well. I find I helpful to have one cosmetic bag for my bath and shower stuff, and a second for makeup and contacts. I also tend to over pack, I usually end up using only a handful of tried and true products so start to make note of what you really get the most mileage out of and begin to create a packing list to cut down on excess baggage,
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingducky View Post
Caboodles has lots of different makeup cases at very affordable prices (usually not more than $25), I bought mine at Target but I've seen them at Walmart and Ulta as well. I find I helpful to have one cosmetic bag for my bath and shower stuff, and a second for makeup and contacts. I also tend to over pack, I usually end up using only a handful of tried and true products so start to make note of what you really get the most mileage out of and begin to create a packing list to cut down on excess baggage,
Thanks for the suggestion! These by far look the most affordable. (I also think we all over pack, which is annoying at times, but it is better to be safe then sorry.)
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Something else to consider is what you plan on carrying. If something's breakable or spillable, you need to keep that in mind. Or store certain items in ziplock bags, then put those in your container of choice.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Something else to consider is what you plan on carrying. If something's breakable or spillable, you need to keep that in mind. Or store certain items in ziplock bags, then put those in your container of choice.
I always keep spillable/breakable items in ziplocks. They have came in handy many of times in the past. I actually keep most of my wigs in ziplocks when I travel.
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
mikazuki
三日月

Also keep in mind if you're flying there are weight restrictions with items and so depending on the item(s) in the bag the bag/case may have to be checked and if it doesn't have a TSA lock TSA WILL break the lock to look inside. They of course have the right and you're out of luck since they will not compensate you for any damage caused. Been there, done that.
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
tsukeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikazuki View Post
Also keep in mind if you're flying there are weight restrictions with items and so depending on the item(s) in the bag the bag/case may have to be checked and if it doesn't have a TSA lock TSA WILL break the lock to look inside. They of course have the right and you're out of luck since they will not compensate you for any damage caused. Been there, done that.
Luckily, I don't fly much, if at all to conventions these days.