Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
dacylunia

Things to Do at Anime LA (First time going on 2014)

Hello everyone!

My friends and I usually cosplay as vocaloid characters or Naruto characters. This was our first time going to Anime Expo and we were thinking about going to ALA on 2014.

I tried to look for some ALA information but the only thing I can find is "Oh ALA tends to be a little smaller than AX"

We would like to know more information and it might be best to hear experiences from past ALA goers about what you guys did at ALA!

My friends and I are university students so we will not be able to attend Day 1. But we would like to know what kinds of events are there on Day 2 and Day 3?(Events? Fun activities?)
dacylunia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
shadowdragon13
Dont mess with the Dragon

Well theres the many cosplay gatherings happening every day. Be sure to check the gathering list to see when your favorite fandom will have a gathering so you don't miss photo opportunities. See if a pannel your interested in is going to happen. Check the schedule as soon as it's out. Most pannels are different every year so I can't tell you any specific ones to see. Check out the dealers hall and artist alley, see if anyone has something you like on sale. And the most fun activity, ribbion hunting. You will see people walking around with these ribbions hanging off their badges. You need to do something special for the each person handing out each unique ribbion. There's a lot, and I can't tell you how to get most of them cuz I've never had them, but I can tell you one. You can get the "My first time" ribbion at the information booth by telling them it's your first time at the con. The rest I leave to you to earn on your own.
Liza (Pokemon R/S/E) - 100%

2014 Cons: Anime California, Comikaze (maybe), Bent Con (maybe), Nuke the Fridge con.
shadowdragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Shugo the Fox
White and Nerdy

As you might know, ALA is held within the Marriott Hotel, and is setup on the first and second levels. There is an outdoor pool area where some of the gatherings are held, and I also recall there being an area near there where you can get free breakfast on some days.

As far as events and activities, there are plenty of them throughout the con, but it would be easier for you to see for yourself what kind of events they have. Like AX, they have things like Karaoke, AMV contests, Bands, Autograph sessions, etc. It's all just on a smaller scale compared to AX. They also have a Gaming Room, Artist Alley, and Exhibit Hall for anime merchandise.

As Shadow mentioned above, another thing about ALA is the ribbons. You earn ribbons by completing certain tasks, and these can be attached to your badge, with each one stacked atop the bottom of the next ribbon. It's not uncommon to see people with a long strand of ribbons attached to their badges. I don't collect them myself, but it's an interesting way to get more involved with the convention.

Hopefully that gives you a little more information on ALA. To be honest, this is one of my favorite conventions throughout the year. It's small, but not terribly small. I find it to be a great way to meet up with people who are local, rather than at AX where people are from all around the globe. If you're coming on Day 2, the line for badges might take you around 15-20 minutes to pickup, so be sure to consider that before going to an event. Hope you have fun, and we'll see you guys here!
  • Pacific Media Expo 2014

Cosplays
  • Serge - Chrono Cross
  • Paper Mario
  • Godot - Phoenix Wright
  • Kenji Mitsusada - Cardfight! Vanguard
  • Shugo - Original Character Cosplay
Shugo the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

ALA is an amazing con for cosplay and just being able to enjoy the atmosphere of a convention without the crowds and crazy schedules that AX has. Also, con suite = free snacks for con attendees (small sandwiches, chips and soft drinks) to provide you with a little boost between meals
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Melancholy Wish
Tsundere

In my opinion ALA is better than Ax, because of its very very very very small size compared to Ax. It is easier to socialize.
Melancholy Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
dacylunia

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback!

I have a better sense of how the convention will be like and I'm looking forward to it more now!
dacylunia is offline   Reply With Quote