Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #31
nikki2dope

Ah, sorry about that! X ) I'm such a noob when it comes to video editing!
nikki2dope is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
Crunchy Snape
Crunchy Snape

Haha, no problem! I still got the gist of it though and it's going to be super useful! Thank you again!
Crunchy Snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #33
lisa222

I'm new here and I am also making this dress, this tread has been very useful. I'm using an old folding dress pattern that I modified a bit, especially the bottom of the dress.
I've been using the website from the woman who made the actual dresses: (Someone posted it already)
http://www.michelecarragherembroider...2829575%29.htm

It's super useful, you can see that there are actually two dresses, one with a lot of dragonscales, and pearls (and to die for):

and a simpler version (I'm making this one, even if it's not going very well for now):

Also I've been following on facebook two girls who are making the dress (one I know a little ), they are pro I think but they post many pictures of the making of dress, it's been useful on how the dress works, and what fabric they use. They both used some rough silk, making it look like it's a realistic historical dress. I think using a fabric too soft or shiny make the dress less realistic, I haven't found the right fabric yet)

Here are the link for both those albums (they are french but you can still see all the pictures, they made prototypes in white first). They are both almost finished with the dress (maybe they know each other, or making a race), I'm waiting for them to put the pictures of the finished dress.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.507400482665181.1073741836.505344066204156& type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=595001863895791&set=a.2426969957929 48.61942.236464983082816&type=1&theater

If you have others links of people making it (or any game of thrones costumes) I would love it, especially on facebook, it pops up on my news feed, and I follow all the works in progress, it helps with mine.

Thank you people for the help on this thread, really, more news on my dress later, I'm still trying to make the right pattern using old sheets as fabric.
lisa222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #34
Kelley
Devil of Details

Are you sure that's "rough silk" that is in the pictures of the dresses the others are making ?

It looks more like basket-woven cotton for one and an irregular/"nubby" fabric for the other - but which is not slubbed silk.

The close-up of the actual dress seen here indicates a rather open/rough weave, but if there is silk in it, I think it would be only some of the threads.

Also notable is that there are THREE different dresses and only the last one is specifically silk.

If you're making one of the first two dresses, it would be good to explore rough/basket/loose-ish weave fabrics. If you find one slightly lighter that already has variation in tone/thread used you can dye it, too !

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #35
lisa222

You are right, english is not my native language, I meant raw silk, sorry. They both said in some comment that they used silk, I'm sure of it. But maybe it's a blend.

I wonder if I use a fabric that has open/rough weave, the sewing will change the shape of the pieces, making the dress weird. Anyway I will see when I find the right fabric. (No dye for me, I don't know much and I don't have the space/big container/tub or will to do it)
lisa222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #36
Kelley
Devil of Details

You're right, raw silk can be un-shiny if it's particularly frizzy (I could see the fabric in the second link being that, but still not sure about the first - it looks very uniform - it possible, but it manages to look neither like refined silk (not much of a shine) or raw silk (very controlled) !) : picture . It really doesn't look like "silk" at all ! It was one of my first guesses for what the dress is made of, but the close up of the actual dress isn't what raw silk usually looks like which is very interesting.

Here is some un-dyed. It is actually easier to dye silk than cotton, if you have a washing machine you can do it.

There is this on eBay, but they do not post a good picture and it is very bright.

They have a Teal Blue, too - but again the picture is terrible.

I wonder if they would send you a swatch ?

Actually in the pipes:

Last edited by Kelley : 08-08-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #37
ria_oaks

I'm working on this dress as well, and it's my first real cosplay project - I'm a total novice at this! I found this fabric that looks like it may work - http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/...e-Silk-Suiting I'm not too clear on what silk suiting is and if that's similar to raw silk? It doesn't look shiny, anyway, and it seems to have a similar texture. Any thoughts?
ria_oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by ria_oaks View Post
I'm working on this dress as well, and it's my first real cosplay project - I'm a total novice at this! I found this fabric that looks like it may work - http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p/...e-Silk-Suiting I'm not too clear on what silk suiting is and if that's similar to raw silk? It doesn't look shiny, anyway, and it seems to have a similar texture. Any thoughts?
The term "silk suiting" doesn't really give any information - it's like saying "coat" - there are so many ways for a coat to look that simply "coat" doesn't give any real information. It's a silk in some kind of weave that was intended to be used to make "suits" - that's it. Raw silk more specifically refers to a certain look in silk that looks "unrefined" and "natural" - mostly silk noil or tussah. Both of those can be "suitings".

The fabric you found looks interesting and could potentially be a good choice ! I would HIGHLY recommend you order a swatch (or, I think they do 1/8 yards instead of swatches) before you buy it. The picture, unfortunately, doesn't tell you as much as you need to know. You don't want to buy it and end up with several whole yards of something you don't even like - and the fabric can differ GREATLY from the picture !

It's worth a shot to order a swatch.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #39
ria_oaks

Thanks for the explanation. Figured it was something like that, but thought I'd check. I was going to order a small amount to test it, but they won't tell me international shipping costs to Canada until I pay and apparently there is a $7.50 flat fee added to int'l shipments in addition to shipping... oh well, I will continue the hunt locally! Or I may just order a bunch and return it if it's wrong; I think I can do that based on what the website says.
ria_oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would not risk it - I'm pretty sure you will need to pay return shipping and at that point it's just not worth it - especially of you are paying international shipping. You'd be getting barely any money back, if anything.

I live in the USA and I've bought fabric from at least one very good website that is based in Canada : https://secure.designerfabrics.ca/shop/scripts/

They have a pretty big selection - I haven't looked for fabric for this dress specifically but I feel they're a good shot!

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
celticbard

Hello, everyone!
I just finished my version of the blue Astapor dress, so I thought Iíd share my experience with this particular cosplay, if anyone is interested. This was my first official sewing project. I started taking lessons back in May and I thought that the Astapor dress would be a nice simple project, just a modified wrap dress. But wow, the bodice was so complicated! Thank goodness for my sewing instructor, she was a big help sorting it all out.

I ended up using a pattern for a basic wrap dress and altering it a ton. For my mock-up, I used plain cotton broadcloth, although the final version was done in a royal blue silk noil I found on Etsy. Unfortunately, I didnít have time to do any of the smocking on the bodice, since I wore it for the first time last weekend, but once the Renaissance Faire season is over, I definitely plan to go back and incorporate those tiny, but important details.

I havenít been able to post photos of the cosplay on this site for some reason (seems to be some kind of technical glitch?), but you can view them on my deviantArt. http://celticbard76.deviantart.com/

Thanks so much for looking! I hope it looks okay, for a first try.
celticbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #42
nikki2dope

Wow, that's an amazing for your first try!! Good job!

And that dragon is extraordinary!
nikki2dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #43
celticbard

Thank you so much for your kind words, Nikki! Iím so pleased that you think it turned out well. Iíve noticed that you already incorporated the smocking into your cosplay (the details look awesome, btw!). Iím hoping to try the smocking myself soon, although instead of fishnet stockings, Iím using this lace I found on Fabric.com https://www.fabric.com/buy/0267053/veneta-lace-charcoal. Donít know how the detailing will turn out in the end, though, since Iím quite a newbie.

And thanks! Iím glad you like my Drogon, heís the only part of this cosplay that I canít take credit for. The dragon was actually sculpted for me by Arend from RavendarkCreations. He is a super-talented artisan. You can find more of his work on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/RavendarkCr...shop-info-name
celticbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #44
DesireeByrd

Hi,

I'm new to Cosplay and for my first cosplay I also want to do the Daenerys Astapor dress, so I'm glad I found this thread! So much great information here. :-D

I'm not the greatest at sewing, so I have a question if anyone has an answer. When you do the smocking, do you smock the fabric first and THEN cut the pattern? My fear is that to smock after cutting out the pattern would change the size and shape of the piece and it would not fit right when you put it together.
DesireeByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #45
Kelley
Devil of Details

Yes, smocking will DRAMATICALLY change the size of the fabric. You must do it before you cut out the pattern piece or you won't have enough fabric to work with and if you try it the "pattern piece" will turn out all weird-shaped and too-small.

Actually in the pipes: