Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

Opposite Gender Pattern Help

So I have a friend who really wants to cosplay as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist. Thing is, my friend is a male and I do not know what type of patterns will correspond to a male figure. The only pattern I have in mind is a Butterick 4029. May sound like a stupid question but will that pattern work? As I am guessing it will look loose on him?

Another question is: are their even patterns for males? As I have tried to look through every pattern book at the nearest Joanns and only found the ones for women. Unless I'm not looking close enough.

Thanks.

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

You aren't looking in the right place. There are men's commercial patterns out there, even with the common brands that Joann carries: Butterick, Simplicity, McCall's, Vogue.

There are two places to look in the catalogue:
- Depending on the brand, it will be a separate section labeled "Menswear", or it will be a composite category for a mishmash consisting of "Men, Unisex, and Uniforms".
- The "Costume" section

The "costume" section is the only place where you will find men's and women's patterns all intermixed. Otherwise, the "real clothes" patterns are generally going to be separated. You won't find men's shirts in the same place as women's shirts, except maybe in some lesser-known brands like Burda.

Don't try to use a women's pattern on him. Women's top patterns are made to accommodate boobs. Even if the chest-waist-hip ratio on a men's pattern is different compared to your model, those are easier to adjust than trying to deal with all that excess fabric at the chest on top of everything else. (And if you used a women's pattern on him and didn't get rid of that excess chest fabric, he'd look like he had deflated boobs.)

That said, there is, unfortunately, a FAR lower quantity of patterns available for men than for women. It is extremely frustrating. The majority of the men's patterns are just "daddy and me" button-up shirts with crappy armscyes and no shaping. My advice is to usually skip the "real clothes" men's patterns altogether in most cases and only bother looking at the costume patterns. The costume patterns have the greatest variety of style.

Burda and sometimes Vogue are the only brands I use for "real clothes" patterns.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.

Last edited by Evil Bishounen : 09-02-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
You aren't looking in the right place. There are men's commercial patterns out there, even with the common brands that Joann carries: Butterick, Simplicity, McCall's, Vogue.

There are two places to look in the catalogue:
- Depending on the brand, it will be a separate section labeled "Menswear", or it will be a composite category for a mishmash consisting of "Men, Unisex, and Uniforms".
- The "Costume" section

The "costume" section is the only place where you will find men's and women's patterns all intermixed. Otherwise, the "real clothes" patterns are generally going to be separated. You won't find men's shirts in the same place as women's shirts, except maybe in some lesser-known brands like Burda.

Don't try to use a women's pattern on him. Women's top patterns are made to accommodate boobs. Even if the chest-waist-hip ratio on a men's pattern is different compared to your model, those are easier to adjust than trying to deal with all that excess fabric at the chest on top of everything else. (And if you used a women's pattern on him and didn't get rid of that excess chest fabric, he'd look like he had deflated boobs.)

That said, there is, unfortunately, a FAR lower quantity of patterns available for men than for women. It is extremely frustrating. The majority of the men's patterns are just "daddy and me" button-up shirts with crappy armscyes and no shaping. My advice is to usually skip the "real clothes" men's patterns altogether in most cases and only bother looking at the costume patterns. The costume patterns have the greatest variety of style.

Burda and sometimes Vogue are the only brands I use for "real clothes" patterns.
Thanks! I will look into that next time.

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm sure you'll find something you can work with based on Evil Bishounen's advice, but if you want to you can also draft the pattern yourself. Learning to draft patterns means never having to spend money on them and being able to make exactly what you want ! A lot of people are afraid of trying it, but I made the pattern for my second costume ever from scratch and I've walked people through it who were making their very first costumes. My friend actually had an easier time making her doublet pattern than sewing it together ! If you can follow instructions to sew a pattern, you can follow them to draft one.

Anyway, that's just my usual speech on the topic. Especially if you're working with a lot of very unusual shapes in costumes or want to outfit a lot of men it's a great skill to have.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

In addition to the above suggestions, you could also find a cheap shirt in a similar style to the one you want to make, cut it along the seams to break it down into its individual pieces and use that as a pattern. I much prefer doing it like this than using actual patterns, as I know exactly how it will fit me and I can adjust it beforehand if necessary.