Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

Color Comparison (Arda and Amphigory)

It's a shot in the dark, but I figured I should ask.

Has anyone ever ordered a Dark Ash Blonde wig from Arda and matched it with Amphigory's Kanekalon Silky Braid in #24? If so, how did they look when put together? If you've found two blondes from the sites that have matched really closely, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 80%- Sleeves are attached!
Disney - Tinkerbell - Future - Planned
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I've ordered from both Amphigory and Arda before. I have swatch rings that match both sites.

Here's the thing: Amphigory and Arda use completely different color sets. Arda's colors are unique to them as far as I can tell. The majority of the wigs and fiber sold by Amphigory, on the other hand, use the same color scheme as New Look, Sepia, and most other Western wig manufacturers. On top of that, you're also trying to compare completely different fiber types.

To answer your actual question: I looked at my swatch for Arda's Dark Ash Blond (#029) and compared it against my New Look #24 swatch. They are VERY different. Arda's #029 is a blend of ash blond and a little bit of auburn, so the final color is much more "ashy". Amphigory's #24 looks like it's a very subtle blend of medium and light blond. When the two swatches are next to each other, there's a stark difference.

But even if some fairly close color matches do exist, I honestly wouldn't try to combine products from Arda and Amphigory to begin with. Arda uses hiperlon fiber, which isn't nearly as shiny as kanekalon. Under a flash and/or in certain lighting, the kanekalon fibers get really glossy shiny whereas the matte hiperlon would barely reflect light at all. You'd end up with a rather obvious franken-wig.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Kayla Marie C
The Frugal Cosplayer

Oomph. Thanks for the warning! It looks like I'm going full amphigory for this one!
I HAD thought about the fibre difference in the wigs, but I've only ever used Arda, and had nothing to compare with the quality of Amphigory. Thank you so much though!

Disney's Tangled: Rapunzel - Progress 80%- Sleeves are attached!
Disney - Tinkerbell - Future - Planned
Kayla Marie C is offline   Reply With Quote