Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
arsenicCatnip

under-eye eyeshadow help?

a ton of makeup tutorials i like include eyeshadow applied on the outer corner of the eye/the lower lash line, kind of like the outer corner black eyeshadow here, but some of the time it's an accent color, not just black shadow.

more examples of what i mean: 1 2 3 4 5 6

i've tried it a billion times, but it just always ends up looking like i rubbed my eyes a lot while wearing a ton of eye makeup, and it likes to migrate down my face into my under-eye lines ;w; it never looks quite right. does anyone have any tips on getting the under-eye shadow applied nicely, and getting it to stay there?
arsenicCatnip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Primer can help. Or if you're using liner, try a water/smudge-proof version. Applying some concealer or foundation under the area, after you've finished your eye makeup, can help the area look clean and polished, too. Hope this gives you some ideas!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

If you're using a cream based product, you might also want to set it with a matching eyeshadow. But seriously, get a primer. I have a problem with my eye makeup smudging and my concealer creasing under my eyes and my primer is a life saver. I use the Urban Decay Primer Potion.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Khorrupt

As StrawberrySiren said, set set set.

In the event that you're using eyeshadow, it's probably the quality. I recommend Coastal Scents eyeshadow for anything cosplay-related -- it's a bit pricey, but it's very worth it, as it stays put the entire day.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
arsenicCatnip

i haven't been using primer, although i have thought about it! i wasn't sure if it was worth spending for (being a very busy high schooler and paying for my own makeup gets tough sometimes ^ ^") but i think i'll pick up UD's primer potion next time i find myself in ulta or sephora and give it a shot.

thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorrupt View Post
I recommend Coastal Scents eyeshadow for anything cosplay-related -- it's a bit pricey, but it's very worth it, as it stays put the entire day.
i was looking at their huge palettes earlier, actually! i'm really thinking about buying one because i've been just buying individual eyeshadows from sephora as the need for each color arises and that's getting super pricy. the size of each shadow in their big palettes seems kind of small, though. do their shadows run out quickly, or does a little go a long way?
arsenicCatnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Primer and a small brush, how I always do it. If you use eyeliner there, setting with eyeshadow will help. Primer DOES work and it does help. I can attest to the staying power of UD Primer Potion, all I ever use. Except for glitter, for that I use a desperate primer.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Khorrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenicCatnip View Post
do their shadows run out quickly, or does a little go a long way?
Well, are you talking about their 88 palettes or their 252 palette? Because the size of the ones on the 88 palette are about the size of a nickel, where the ones on the 252 palette are about the size of a dime. It sounds like almost nothing, but because they're so pigmented, you wouldn't need to use that much, so I think it's a worthwhile buy. (They also sell something called "hot pots" which are basically just refills.)

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote