Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Aisuanime
Mama Russia

Wig help for the lady with super long thick hair?

I am so so very sorry if this question has been brought up a majillion times in the forums! I have resorted to asking now after so much research already done on the subject, so I definitely didn't come here blind and helpless, aha.

Givin' it to you short- Hello, my friend convinced me to do a Persona cosplay with her and others, but I need a wig because the hair required for the character is short. The problem? I have very long and very thick hair -probably the reason why I've avoided wigs till now.
When I say long and thick, I mean just that: hair length goes to my bum (almost thigh length? I can't tell sometimes), and just throwing my nationalities, I'm half Mexican and half Greek so it can be well imagined how thick my hair is.
I looked up tons of tutorials on youtube for thick long hair but, that's just it, I get one or the other, or somewhere in the middle! I would really like tips on wrapping up hair to fit in a short wig. I liked this vid 'cause it is the thickness I'm comparing to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyCh0boHPI0
but her hair length just isn't as a problem as mine. I tried last night to do the braid technique but with the length I had to wrap it around my head twice. It looked really poofy, I think I might need hair products to keep it down? Gah, or maybe I'm just bad at this? (probably)...It's stressing me out, maybe I should trim my hair, as much as the idea haunts me!

Anywho, any tips on this kind of thing would be great! I realize it's easy to bun a hair with pins and put a wig cap on but if there's anything else that could help I would love to know! Thank you to any help, and sorry if the question is overused, my researching skills aren't that great either, heheh! Hope everyone has a great day/night~!
Aisuanime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

You need to compress you hair as much as possible first before pining it down. (It's up to you how you want to pin it with either pin curls or braids.) I do this by washing my hair to straighten and flatten my hair as much as possible with the heat/ weight of the water.

You also what to buy a larger wig size as most china/ebay wig will be to small for both your head and the hair you want to fit.

You didn't say which character you want to do so I don't know which wig to recommend.
http://arda-wigs.com/pages/wigs

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
lesmisfan12

Put your hair in pin curls! That's what Broadway professionals do to get their hair flat against their head, like Sutton Foster has at :56 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBG-M...5543D2941651A4

You can find a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, and that's how I do my hair when I wear wigs.
lesmisfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote