Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Resonance19

Question Body Paint? and Other questions

Hello,

I want to start out by saying I am totally new to cosplay. I'm going to emerald city next year and yes it sounds like i'm going to totally embarass myself BUT i am serious about doing Midna right.

I am definitely the 5,000th person to choose to cosplay Midna's true form, and I have to say I was a little iffy about choosing to go as her... but I attempted my first cosplay last year and never actually finished it, because I made a LOT of mistakes and i just wore it to a Halloween party where no one even knew who I was

Anyway, I know that the question of Body paint vs Zentai suit comes up all the time, But i'm pretty sure I wanna go with body paint. That's what I WANT but I want to ask,

-Which brand? I'm not able to fork out TONS of money but I am gonna be spending more than normal for sure. I need a brand that will look good, that isn't harmful.
-What kind of finish/sealer should I use?
-Is it something I can put on without an airbrush?

another question i have is about some sort of fluorescent paint or lighting of some kind. Basically the idea of Midna's blue body details being bright and sort of glowing sound great. I figure if I use fluorescent paint you won't see it in daylight but when it gets dark it might be really cool..? possibly? Is it a waste of money/time?

I feel like using lights might just be way too expensive/look bad. But then again i really don't know what's out there... I'm totally new to this!

In any case, if fluorescent paint would be good, what's a brand I should try?

Thanks!
Resonance19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Khorrupt

First suggestion: add a ref pic! I had to Google the name and I hope I was looking at the right person.

If I have to do face + body paint, I usually go for Ben Nye magicake and PAX (respectively) -- though of course there's a thousand other things people like.

As for the body paint though, PAX is really the way to go if you have to use a lot and it's going to be on parts of your body that are inevitably going to even bump into someone so you don't get paint on his or her costume. (If I was looking at the right picture upon Googling the name, then it will be on body parts that will inevitably bump into someone/brush on your costume.) It doesn't come off on people when powdered -- it doesn't come off at all, unless you really take it off. Read some more about it here --> http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=216634

As I mentioned, I like Ben Nye magicake for the face (which I apply with a sponge), but I've heard good things about other brands as well, like Snazaroo and Mehron Paradise. (You can't put PAX on your face, and you don't want to.)

As for sealant, I use the Mehron translucent powder with antiperspirant (as I find it's less visible than Ben Nye, but other people have different preferences), and then I use the Ben Nye final seal spray over the top, just for a little extra backup.

I personally think that fluorescent body paint would be a nice touch, unless you know the chances of you being in the dark are really low -- then it would still be a nice touch, but you might want to make it a last-touch type thing. Buy everything else you need, and then if you've got extra money, buy the fluorescent paint. Unfortunately, I can't really recommend you any brands of fluorescent paint, but someone else here probably can.

Good luck with your costume!

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Resonance19

Thank you so much for the response! It was very helpful

Also sorry about not adding a reference pic. I'll update the original post and add a photo!

OK so I guess I don't think I can even edit the post I just assumed (I'm new here, embarrassing!) But I'll just post a photo of Midna's True form here:

Last edited by Michi : 09-03-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: merging a double post
Resonance19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Sweet Loretta

First there are so many threads on body paint...great info..do a search here on the Cosplay forum and you will find what you need.

The least expensive and easiest way to go is straight up body paint, water activated cake makeup like Wolfe Face Art and FX. Use Kryolan Fixing Spray (or a top brand) and coat before you paint and after.

Water activated cake makeups do not set with powder. They need a Fixing liquid/spray. Cream makeups are set with powder.

I do not personally ever recommend PAX to FX makeup beginners....it def works! But it does have more of a learning curve and will cost more to apply full body.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
detenten

From my experience as a Twilek, there are two body paint options: water based and alcohol based.

They each have pros and cons and there are several brands to choose from.

(there are also creams and grease paint, both of which I hated, but feel free to trial and error on your own).

My two favorites:
Temptu dura pro
Alcohol based
Pro: waterproof, smudgeproof, longlasting
Cons: expensive, difficult to remove

I have a little write up about it here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/deten...13451575534109

Mehron Paradise
Water based
Pros: cheap, washes off in shower
Cons: can sweat off, not waterproof

Both look equally great, come in a wide variety of colors and were equally easy to apply (about 1hr with a sponge, no airbrush). Seal either with a coat or two of hairspray or sealing spray.

Check out the forums at chucrew.com aka Twilek Celebration. Twilek cosplayers have done a lot of research into changing skin into a rainbow of colors.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
detenten

As far as glowing paint, I believe Kryolan offers a line of UV reactive paint but I have no firsthand experience with it.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Sweet Loretta

Kryolan and Wolfe FX both make a wonderful UV reactive and neon bright makeup. Wolfe makes a clear makeup unseen then glows white in black light. Very cool. Going into neons brights and UV reactive will mean one is using water activated cake makeup. It is hard to get alcohol activate uv makeup and while it can be done with PAX do note that acrylic is art and craft paint and not approved for use on humans.

Go with some bright durable Wolfe face and body painting makeup and a top brand fixing spray. Not all are alike use kryolan, Mehron, Green Marble, or Sweat Stop.
Wolfe makeup comes in a wide range of essential, FX and Neon colors. Coat a seal of fixing spray, paint and spray over, repeat 3-4 layers on top[and you will have a full day of play.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote