Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
tlamphier23

Body Paint or Latex Which to use

I am making my wife a darth talon costume for Halloween. I need to paint her whole body minus her lower arms and legs red. I painted my whole body blue for a skeletor costume before and no matter what I bought to "seal" the paint it got everywhere lol. So I was thinking of painting my wife with liquid latex (except the face) so that it will last a few hours and not smear all over everything (including my sith acolyte costume lol)

Anyhow I have used latex for small pieces before but wanted your advice on what you would use for a full body paint.
tlamphier23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

liquid latex peels and wrinkles horribly. Aside from artistic application where the model isn't going to be moving much, I wouldnt suggest it.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Rukeya

I agree with the above poster, liquid latex probably wouldn't be great for large areas of coverage.

But what IS great and would probably have the same qualities you're hoping for in liquid latex would be PAX (I just really like this stuff). Annoying to remove, but it'll stay on like a second skin. This thread had a lot of good information and discussion on it.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Sweet Loretta

Stay away from the latex! Latex is cool stuff but not for costume and play.

I paint models all the time, full body and they dance, do photoshoots, events like tradeshows,.......water activated face and body paint will stay put and be nicely wearable if done right. Set with Kryolan Fixing Spray (or a top brand) put in under and over the body paint. On top do a few layers.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
detenten

From my experience as a Twilek, there are two body paint options: water based and alcohol based.

They each have pros and cons and there are several brands to choose from.

(there are also creams and grease paint, both of which I hated, but feel free to trial and error on your own).

My two favorites:
Temptu dura pro
Alcohol based
Pro: waterproof, smudgeproof, longlasting
Cons: expensive, difficult to remove

I have a little write up about it here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/deten...13451575534109

Mehron Paradise
Water based
Pros: cheap, washes off in shower
Cons: can sweat off, not waterproof

Both look equally great, come in a wide variety of colors and were equally easy to apply (about 1hr with a sponge, no airbrush). Seal either with a coat or two of hairspray or sealing spray.

Check out the forums at chucrew.com aka Twilek Celebration. Twilek cosplayers have done a lot of research into changing skin into a rainbow of colors.
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

I heard liquid latex gets hot really fast and can cause the user/wearer to overheat and faint. I wouldn't suggest that, especially if it was all over the body.

The paint smearing also depends on what kind you used. Stay away from creme paint and go for waterbase/cake makeup instead.
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Trassin

Hey guys, new member here! :-)

I'm currently doing some research trying to decide what the best body paint would be for temporary tattoos.

Brief description of what they are for and the general look I'm going for:
- It will be for this annual event: Taboo Masquerade at The Castle in Ybor (Tampa)
- It's a dance club so there will be sweating and rubbing against the tattoo

This year's theme is "Fetish Fairy-tales". I'm going to be going as The Huntsman from Snow White and I'm looking to have a friend of mine paint a tattoo on my left upper arm, shoulder, neck, and face (I have a real tattoo already on my right shoulder/arm). The general design of the tattoo will be similar to this:
(Not Me)
and this:

The tattoo will most likely be of a somewhat bright blue, although I am going to leave it at least partially up to the artists discretion as to what she thinks looks good.

So, based on comments I've seen both above in this thread and in various other places my thoughts are as follows:

- Water-based paints aren't an option due to sweat and rubbing
- Latex probably wouldn't stand up well to me moving my arm/head/face
- PAX or Temptu dura pro are probably my best options

I am a bit concerned about the length of time to remove afterwards, since this is a club event and there will be drinking/partying going on. The idea of having to spend 3 hours removing body paint at 3:00am isn't especially appealing.

Anyways, any suggestions that you guys might have would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Trassin is offline   Reply With Quote