Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Unread 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
peacelovepandas

The Really-Cool-Pennsylvania-Shoot-Location List

Okay, so my goal here is to try to make a list of all the cool places to have a photo shoot in PA. Because believe it or not, we have not only a growing number of cosplayers but a large amount of cool locations all over the state, and this could be helpful to both local photographers and cosplayers, plus cosplayers from neighboring states.

Comment a cool location idea below, and I will add it to the list ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Abbottstown (Adams County)- Lots of old buildings village-like settings. Almost fantasy-like in some locations

Centralia- Ghost town with a fire burning under it. Cracked up streets, smoke coming from holes on the ground. Very post-apocalyptic looking.

Eastern State Penetentuary- previously used as an institution/prison. Once housed Al Capone. Very creepy, good location for a Horror shoot.

Audubon Hawk Watch (Waggoners Gap in between Cumberland and Perry Counties, Rt. 74)- An exposed cliff on the tippy top of Waggoners Gap. There a two cliffs, one big and one small, used for raptor and bird watching. Both cliffs have great views over the valleys to either side, plus wooded areas all around. Open dawn to dusk.

Hickory Run State Park, Boulder Field - The field is 16.5 acres in size and is made up of boulders of all sizes. A stream runs underneath the rocks and often can be heard when standing on the rocks, especially after it has rained recently. the Park is open sunrise to sunset - but arrangements can be made with the Ranger Station of HRSP. Best light probably evening, but lots of people...around and ON the rocks. There are small rocky trails from the parking lot that give a different perspective and away from people.

Two Mile House in Historic Downtown Carlisle- Located two miles from Carlisle (Carlisle has a historic downtown section- most non-residential buildings are open to the public and can be used for shoots if you ask). The house is colonial, complete with a small pasture and a hand-made fence, gardens, and restored rooms with furniture. There is a barn also on premisis. A small field with boulders and a few stray trees sits in the back or the house. Make sure there is not another event going in before just barging in.

Pine Grove State Park- two man-made lakes provide beaches without leaving the state. Dam provides a more enchanting pond scene. Cabins sit all around. Historic furnace and other buildings are open for public. Hiking trails lead to story book-like streams, creeks, forests and cliffs (I wouldn't recommend hiking in cosplay though. Change when to get to the location). Note that the forests and groves are pitted with trenches dug during the parks coal-mining days. However, these can make for some cool shots.

Concrete City- I am unsure of exact location. If someone knows please let me know.
This is an abandoned town made completely of concrete. Graffiti covered buildings, a great example of urban decay. Forests surround the area.

Gettysburg- Historic battle field. Monuments, cannons, houses and other historic places. Good for pirates, colonial shoots, etc.

Straudsburg- trains, trains, trains! You can ride the train and get pictures, or explore display cars. There is also a yearly corn maze, if you need a field to shoot in, but beware of people.

Last edited by peacelovepandas : 09-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.
peacelovepandas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Ree21
DarkAngelofTheNight

New Hope, PA. Cute Town with some awesome places to shoot.
Longwood Gardens - Amazing and gorgeous!
Fairmount Park, Pa - Huge Park with a ton of monuments and and foliage.
Laurel Hill Cemetery - Gorgeous! It runs along Boat House Row. Very old cemetery with some gorgeous scenery.
Bushkill falls - Located in the Pocono's. Some consider this the Mini Niagara Falls. Awesome scenery

For my Fashion portfolio, I recently had a lolita photoshoot in Hamilton, NJ at the Grounds for Sculptures. Amazing Scenery and sculptures, perfect for cosplay and lolita.
Ree21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
luminosity

Love this idea!

The Point (Point Park) in Pittsburgh, PA- Where the rivers meet, beautiful with the giant fountain running as well. Also very close to the city for some city shots, but still enough of a "park" to get some greenery.
luminosity is offline   Reply With Quote