Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #2626
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
It seems like it is only going to be a matter of time before Dragoncon starts selling out like the San Diego Comic Con does now.
I agree, but the difference between the two, is that Comic Con will be packed with bumper to bumper wall of people. Whereas at DragonCon, it'll be packed with a bumper to bumper wall of cosplayers.

Given the choice between the two, I would take the wall of cosplayers anyday. (And at Dragoncon, there's noone running around & trying to chase you down about peacebonding your prop.)

At certain times of the time of the day or night, the cosplayers at DragonCon would also outnumber the people in regular clothes.

Last edited by Hakaider : 09-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #2627
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on. I've been working on a blog, if you guys want, please go check it out uwu
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #2628
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I agree, but the difference between the two, is that Comic Con will be packed with bumper to bumper wall of people. Whereas at DragonCon, it'll be packed with a bumper to bumper wall of cosplayers.

Given the choice between the two, I would take the wall of cosplayers anyday. (And at Dragoncon, there's noone running around & trying to chase you down about peacebonding your prop.)

At certain times of the time of the day or night, the cosplayers at DragonCon would also outnumber the people in regular clothes.
The thing with Dragon Con is that it's one of those cons where you have to dress up in order to have fun while at Comic Con, you can enjoy the entire con dressed up or not. A good chunk of the Comic Con attendees are people who just go to see celebs aka the fake geeks. While at Dragon Con, it's the hardcore bunch.

Today, I went walking and jogging up and down Harbor Island and even got to check out the Sheraton. The halls remind me of ALA where you have doors on both sides of the halls with events going on. I should have took a photo of the ballroom map because I could pretty much layout which room could be utilized for what purpose (That's if the SPJA rented out all halls and rooms).
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015

Last edited by El_Duque : 09-12-2013 at 01:03 AM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #2629
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on. I've been working on a blog, if you guys want, please go check it out uwu
Nice blog! I just browsed through quickly, will give it a better look tomorrow when I'm not sleepy

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #2630
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
The thing with Dragon Con is that it's one of those cons where you have to dress up in order to have fun while at Comic Con, you can enjoy the entire con dressed up or not. A good chunk of the Comic Con attendees are people who just go to see celebs aka the fake geeks. While at Dragon Con, it's the hardcore bunch.

Today, I went walking and jogging up and down Harbor Island and even got to check out the Sheraton. The halls remind me of ALA where you have doors on both sides of the halls with events going on. I should have took a photo of the ballroom map because I could pretty much layout which room could be utilized for what purpose (That's if the SPJA rented out all halls and rooms).
Ironically, I gotten some of my best autographs at DragonCon. It's where I gotten my autographs from William Shatner, (Star Trek's Captain Kirk) Leonard Nimoy, (Star Trek's Spock) Kate Mulgrew, (Star Trek's Captain Janeway) Karen Allen,(Who played Indiana Jones's girlfriend, Marion Ravenwood ) Patrick Stewart, (Star Trek's Capt Jean Luc Picard & Professor "X" from "X-Men") and Dirk Benedict. (The original "Star Buck" from BattleStar Galactica)

These were autographs that would have been next to impossible to obtain at Comic Con.

Some of the funniest panels that I've attended was the Leonard Nimoy & William Shatner panel at DragonCon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5RapwXDL8

Stan Lee, and Tom Felton, (Who played Harry Potter's "Draco Malfoy") also came to DragonCon before.

I will say this though, DragonCon's dealer's room really sucks, and there's no elaborate displays or giant statues, big archways or movie props. (But people don't come to DC for the dealer's room.) Comic Con's tradeshow/Dealer's room is obviously one of the country's very best, and very few cons comes close to it.

Quote:
Welcome back, Resident-chick! (Nice blog by the way.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 09-12-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #2631
RichAndCreamy
Anime Conji Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post

I have the layout and room list right now but it is of course subject to change.

BUT I DO HAVE THIS SWEET TOUR OF THE VENUE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8EXfeTe0Ms

I'm @RichAndCreamy everywhere on the internets.
RichAndCreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #2632
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAndCreamy View Post
I have the layout and room list right now but it is of course subject to change.

Cool beans, it's like you read my mind. Excellent layout.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #2633
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAndCreamy View Post

Wow, nice layout...gorgeous hotel as well!

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #2634
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

"Would you pay extra for an Anime Expo badge if it were mailed to you in advance?"

https://www.facebook.com/animeexpo/p...51936045686461
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #2635
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArboACHG View Post
"Would you pay extra for an Anime Expo badge if it were mailed to you in advance?"

Hahaha those replies.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #2636
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:

Here's some samples of what some of the attendees had to say: (I also noticed that for the people who are willing to pay extra, most of them did not want a surcharge of more than $10-15. Only a few were willing to pay an extra $20.)

Quote:
Here's an idea Anime Expo! Instead of trying to think of new ways to nickel and dime your loyal customers, maybe you can try and think of new ways to lower your prices so that people don't have to break the bank to attend your events.

Just the thought of you guys wanting to charge more than your already high prices says a lot about the management at your organization. Greedy, greedy, greedy. Shame on you.

Quote:

I remember when badges were mailed when AX was at Anaheim. We still had to stand in line for badge holders. However, I can't remember the whole process. At the very least, we didn't need to wait for the badges to be printed and handed to us. I guess it was faster? Plus, Anaheim had a whole hall we could use just for registration, so we didn't have to wait outside.

Quote:
no, PAX does it for no extra charge.

Quote:
No. It should be standard that all pre-registered attendees should receive their badges in the mail by two weeks before the con. That's what NYCC does.

Quote:
Considering it would HELP you guys to do it and we're already paying for increased badge prices with lower discounts than any previous year, complimentary is what it should be. At the most, I'd pay $5 just to cover shipping.

Quote:
Im giving you my kidney what else do you want? a arm maybe just to have it shipped
Quote:
If you keep the cost within a logical range, yes.
AX is great, but with the amount of expo/cons available/opening all over the country (and world) you need to step it up.

AX 2013 badge pick-up was horrible, volunteer staff were a mixed bag, expensive parking, and the hired convention staff were a fucking joke.

AX, step it up or you won't be getting my money next year.
Quote:
Why are you willing to be charged to have the badge printed? If they are charging for that they are already doing so since they print your badge at the con.
Quote:
Nope. Anime central charges less if you get it mailed, and in advanced.

Quote:
Its expensive already. Y do guys want more of our money?

Quote:
Nope. Convenience fee's can be stacked up way too quickly

Quote:
We are already paying a really high price comparatively, and I get that it's because of a lot of things and you give us options for different prices depending on how early or late you grab the badge. I don't think an extra fee is necessary, for the most part scrounging up the money for Badge, Hotel, Parking, and Shopping is hard enough.

Besides, the convenience of the mailed badge might make it even more appealing to come to Anime ExpoŽ and the confusion and unnecessary bother to corral thousands of people (who cut in line anyway) into the badge area to print their badges will be far less atrocious. I would even go so far as to bet that the price for printing probably equals in price to shipping. IF you have added that price for printing the badges out/using the computers/covering your volunteers to the ticket price already, then you don't need to add shipping (ESPECIALLY nothing over 2-3 dollars with tracking included unless you're shipping the goodie bag too in which case it would be perhaps an option you could add for those who really want that convenience). As someone who ships often, even 5$ for shipping is far too much and would probably make or break a sale for me (unless it's international, which is an entirely different problem for some little business, but perhaps not for a big one).

I personally hate having to wait two hours, most of it in the sun, when I have literally walked up to purchase tickets on day 1 in less than 10 minutes and I wouldn't call at-day con prices something that motivated me to do that in lieu of waiting in line.

If you want people to come on day 0, they can come with their badges to get their goodie bag and hang out before hand (or if they decided they wanted the experience, you can still have the same line going on for them to print their own badge). On day 1, volunteers who are checking badges can also be handing out a goodie bag to those who walk into the dealers hall with a badge.

Quote:
No. Just no. They're too expensive already
Quote:
You, the hotels and the venues don't get enough money from us as it is? quit being greedy bastards.
Quote:
Definitely not, I had so many bad experiences inside and out of AX with both volunteers and security. Unless you are giving me the exhibit hall early and paying for better workers I would rather wait in line. Prices are already getting out of control

Quote:
How about managing the lines a bit better so they're not 3 hours long?
Quote:
Up to $20? You people are crazing. Charge cost of true s/h. Should run ~$10 tops

Apparently, the feedback from the attendees also showed that just about everybody hated waiting in the hot sun for hours, and they don't want a repeat of it next year.

And to Marc Perez-You really need to organize the registration lines better, and put the registration indoors. You don't want to risk people from getting a heat stroke, and collapsing. (Having the attendees stand for 3-4 hours under the hot sun in downtown LA in July, was not exactly the best idea.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 10-22-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #2637
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
You don't want to risk people from getting a heat stroke, and collapsing. (Having the attendees stand for 3-4 hours under the hot sun in downtown LA in July, was not exactly the best idea.)
I witnessed two people faint that day in line, at one point even lose my place (OK, these guys let me back in because I paid them) to go and help one female who was hyperventilating and needed water ASAP
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2638
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I witnessed two people faint that day in line, at one point even lose my place (OK, these guys let me back in because I paid them) to go and help one female who was hyperventilating and needed water ASAP
That's not good.

I remember when I standing in line for hours, I could see a lot of people's faces were turning red, and sweating profusely.

I also overheard one AX volunteer who was managing the lines, tell another staffer with a walkie talkie, that he was getting dizzy from the heat.

I wonder whose "brilliant" idea it was within the ranks of the SPJA, to make the attendees stand for 3-4 hours in the hot July sun?

Last edited by Hakaider : 10-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #2639
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Hmm, wonder what the powers that be are thinking of all the comments that Hakaider highlighted? I'm sure there are more comments like those where that came from

Upcoming Cons/Events

Anime California
AkibaFest
PMX
Anime Los Angeles
Anime Expo 2017
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #2640
Valkrinos

I'm one of those who would pay up to $20.

The way I see it, if they were going to send badges at no extra charge, they probably would've already. Obviously I'd want it cheaper, if they were to ship, but I'm saying I would even pay $20 for the convenience of just having the badge before I even get there.

I was one of those who stood out in the sun for a few hours. $20, to me, is a small price to pay for the extra convenience. Hopefully the outpouring from others makes it cheaper/no cost, but I wouldn't be afraid to pay for the added convenience.
Valkrinos is offline   Reply With Quote