Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 09-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
LoneReaction

Smile Request for Critique, local Comic con photos

Went to a comic con in Singapore. This is my fourth time going for a large scale cosplay event.

Goal: To showcase cosplayers and avoid distracting backgrounds (crowds) and try out my new 35MM F.18 Lens.

Equipment: NEX-7 (crop factor x1.5) and 35MM F 1.8 lens. Occasional photo shot using 50mm.

Settings: Mostly shot on Aperture priority, post processed in Lightroom 5. First time using radial filter, and used it in all photos.

Some of my favorite photos:

DSC00152 by LoneReaction, on Flickr

DSC09750 by LoneReaction, on Flickr

DSC09766 by LoneReaction, on Flickr

DSC00030 by LoneReaction, on Flickr

DSC00116 by LoneReaction, on Flickr

The rest are on a set on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tylclem...7635319658232/
LoneReaction is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Ito
Photographer

Overall, really nice shots! Overall your composition is good and the photos are tack sharp. I will try and give a quick critique on each shot, though.

DSC00152
This shot is maybe my favorite of the group. The composition is really nice, I like how the angle is running through the shot. The colors also some off as really punchy and vibrant. The framing, though, could used to be a liiiiiiitle wider (I know you might have been limited in how far back you could move, though). If you could have gotten her shoes fully int he shot and given her head a little breathing room at the top of the frame, I think it would work even better. My next comment is on her skirt (I think it's a skirt?). The way it falls when she is sitting this way just seems a bit messy, maybe adjusting it to fall more cleanly would have helped the shot. Lastly, I find the tile that she is sitting on to be very distracting to the shot. If you had scooted her a little bit to the left, she would have been sitting on that tile and it wouldn't become a distracting element...although, I do think photoshoping out the edge of that tile might not even be too hard.

DSC09750
In my mind, I think this is the weakest of the shots you posted. It does that for two reasons. 1) the strong backlight vs the slightly underexposed foreground. It's just jarring and doesn't make for a pleasing image in most situations. I don't know how far you pulled the highlights down in the raw files, but I would guess that a lot of the highlight data in the background is just gone. 2) The purple hair on the one cosplay is just out of control lol. Wigs are a pain to work with when there is even a little bit of wind, I know that...but I think that this one is too far gone to even make working on it in photoshop just too much of a chore. As a side note, you can also see the other cosplayer's regular back hair showing a bit from under her wig, which should be easy to fix.

DSC09766
My first though on this shot is that it is really clean and has a lot going for it, but it would be helped with just some minor framing adjustments. If you pulled back just a bit to get the top of her headphones int he shot and the tip of shoes, I think it would do a lot for the composition. Also, I might just drop out the very edge of the wall that is showing. This might also be that I am viewing this on my laptop and not my normal computer, but I think that you could really pump up the saturation in her wig and dress, it would make the shot feel a lot more fun, imo. It wouldn't hurt to try and clean up a few of the stray hairs as well. Side note: I don't know if this is intentional or not, or if the cosplayer didn't mind, but you can see part of her bra in the shot. I don't know the story here, so I will say no more, but I just figured I would bring a little attention to it.

DSC00030
I really like the pose and the framing of this shot, this is probably the best of the bunch when it comes to these aspects. The lighting is also really nice and soft (man, you must of lucked out with the weather XD). I can't help but feel like the shot is a bit underexposed, though (once again, that could be my monitor). The part where this shot falls down in my opinion is the background. I actually think if you did a square crop, I would mind it nearly as much, but at the top where I can read the "Shoppes at marina" text and the mix of vertical and horizontal lines absolutely kills it for me.

DSC00116
My same comments apply for this images as it did in the previous one, though it isn't as bad in the shot. The lighting in a picture continues to be excellent...though I find the difference in the lighting on her eyes to be kind of off-putting. The colors also come off as really good in this picture, they pop just enough without being overpowering. I think the worst part of the image isn't so much with you but instead with the cosplay...I don't know how to say this without being mean, but her face just looks a bit....derpy. I think this is partially because the white makeup under her eyes to try and give that larger anime eye effect just isn't working for her or what...I think maybe photographing her face a bit of an angle might help things out there a bit. I'm sorry if that came off as rude, I am really not trying to be XD.

Hope some of my comments help. Overall, really good stuff and what I had to say was mostly nit picking, especially for at-con photos.
Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
LoneReaction

Omg, thank you for such a long and detailed critique!! It really takes someone who wasn't invested in the photos (means cosplayer and photographer are out) to give a neutral opinion.

I should also start naming my photos instead of just leaving them as filenames >_<

The first photo is my personal favorite out of 62 images. There was wind blowing in from a mall entrance infront, so she had to do that to prevent her skirt lifting. The first photo really was just a snapshot. She was posing in that spot, and I asked her to repeat a post she just did, and fired away from a few angles.

So other than the first photo, I have zero excuse for the rest with regards to background.. It was my first time asking cosplayers to follow me to a nearby location for a photo.. and I panicked a lot. I'm 5'3" with a similarly "mini" camera (compared to normal sized males with DSLRs) so I'll have to work on my confidence. >_<

Thank you for your time, Ito!!
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Brea
Business Student

All I can say is you nailed the focus right on with these shots. Nice shots.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
LoneReaction

Strange, I posted something some time ago, and it is not showing >_<
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Ito
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneReaction View Post
Omg, thank you for such a long and detailed critique!! It really takes someone who wasn't invested in the photos (means cosplayer and photographer are out) to give a neutral opinion.

I should also start naming my photos instead of just leaving them as filenames >_<

The first photo is my personal favorite out of 62 images. There was wind blowing in from a mall entrance infront, so she had to do that to prevent her skirt lifting. The first photo really was just a snapshot. She was posing in that spot, and I asked her to repeat a post she just did, and fired away from a few angles.

So other than the first photo, I have zero excuse for the rest with regards to background.. It was my first time asking cosplayers to follow me to a nearby location for a photo.. and I panicked a lot. I'm 5'3" with a similarly "mini" camera (compared to normal sized males with DSLRs) so I'll have to work on my confidence. >_<

Thank you for your time, Ito!!
My pleasure, I enjoy doing critiques. Not to mention it helps me practice articulating what I see when I put it in to words

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneReaction View Post
Strange, I posted something some time ago, and it is not showing >_<
You have to have your posts approved in certain forums by mods until after you have a number of posts (I think it is 10?). I was confused by it too, the mods aren't exactly fast here XD
Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
LoneReaction

Smile Another Cosplay event!

Went for another cosplay even last Sunday! I only had about 2 hours unfortunately..

Goal: To showcase cosplayers and avoid distracting backgrounds (crowds) and try out my new Samyang 85mm F1.4 Manual focus lens.

Equipment: Sony A7 and Samyang 85mm F1.4 Manual focus lens.

Settings: Manual focus, Aperture priority with iso fixed at 100. Post processed in Lightroom 5.

All photos on Flickr

Some of my favorite photos:

What the event looks like earlier in the day. It got more crowded later. What I normally do is to find a cosplayer who isn't already surrounded by photographers, and ask them to go to a nearby spot for a photo.

Last edited by LoneReaction : 12-21-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
peacelovepandas

The lighting is really good, and you did a pretty good job avoiding distractions. The only concern I have is that some of the posing looks awkward.
Unread 12-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
LoneReaction

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovepandas View Post
The lighting is really good, and you did a pretty good job avoiding distractions. The only concern I have is that some of the posing looks awkward.
Thank you. I guess the problem of asking people to stand in a spots makes it awkward. Wonder what could be done to avoid it. I normally don't give any instructions and just let the cosplayers pose any way they like.

Seems like the link to the last photo broke, this is it: