Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
FriedGreenToma

How do I make tentacles for a costume?

I'm trying to make an Ursula the Sea Witch costume.

I'm going to wear a black tube top with a black skirt, and I'd like to have tentacles coming out from the bottom of the skirt and bowing upwards. How would I go about making those? I've never made a costume before.
FriedGreenToma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

Well, for a first costume, you've certainly picked a good one!

Erm, I'd probably go with possibly making something out of wire and stuffing it, then covering it in black material, but having never done it before, dont take my word for it that it'll work.

Or maybe just completely stuff the tentacles, then sew the ends up on your dress, and add in a length of wire just to give them a bit of shape.
Unread 04-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

I would definitely use a black PVC / Pleather, vinyl, or some type of rubbery material for the costume to get the right "shiny sea-critter skin" look. I would sew the tentacles from fabric and then stuff them with a thick wire inside, like what CezzaXV said. Be sure and stuff them tightly though, otherwise they'll look limp.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
dj_jammer506

I just love drawing things out for people. So...

Ursula

The size of the Tenticales depend on the size of your waist.

Your waist / 8 = X

How long you want the tentacles to be = Y

I really hope that the picture explains itself, but in case it doesn't I'll try and explain the best I can

You'll need two pattern peices. The bottom(Purple) and the top(Black)

When you're done with that, take a length of wire longer than "Y" and wrap batting around it and put the fabric you've sewn and put it over the batting.

Then one way or another attatch the tentacle to a belt and do that Eight times.

Hope that helps.

- Dj
Unread 04-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I did tentacles for my Cthulhu costume. They're very easy, and work pretty much how dj jammer described. Space Invader's also right, a PVC would look nice for these but you could also use a spandex-ish fabric or the sort of stuff you'd use on a wetsuit (stretchy fabric is a pain to sew, though). You'll definitely want to add in a good wire, like armature wire (available at art supply stores) or even just a thick wire from the hardware store.

Putting them on a belt makes it very easy, but if you want them coming up from under the skirt you're better off reinforcing the bottom of the skirt with horsehair braid or an even stiffer material, then sewing the tentacles to that.

Another nice touch is to stamp little circles out of your fabric and add them on to the back side like the little suction thingies.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
dj_jammer506

For the sucker thingys I was going to say be on the look out for buttons at thrift stores and spray paint them.

- Dj
Unread 05-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
BrwncoatFiction

I just wanted to make sure you know, according to the Special edition DVD, Ursula only has 6 tentacles! I didn't realize it until I started doing research for the Ursula costume I plan on making........ eventually.

Last edited by BrwncoatFiction : 05-02-2007 at 07:34 PM.
BrwncoatFiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Veela
Girly Geeks Got it <3

there is always the cheap approach. Craft Foam. That's how I did mine. Made riding in cars and going through doors easier.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...n/DSC02317.jpg
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Himesawa

I don't know if you're still interested, but the best thing I know is:
Make a tight skirt from a non-stretchy material, then sew large tentacles from the same fabric, in the form they have to take at the end.
before stuffing them (buying cheap pillows is better than buying loads of stuffing material) get some wire that reaches from the tip of them to the end, if it's to thick enough to give it the stand you want, double it, make sure to form a loop at the tip as the wire can cut itself through the fabric if you're not careful enough, then also make a loop at the end, to adjust it to the skirts belt part.
That's the easiest and most comfortable way to make it, since you can transport it easily without ruining it and you can definitely get through doors and crowds without hurting someone.
Himesawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
meshell22783

Veela, i love your idea! How did you connect them to your dress and how did you get them to hold rheir shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veela View Post
there is always the cheap approach. Craft Foam. That's how I did mine. Made riding in cars and going through doors easier.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...n/DSC02317.jpg
meshell22783 is offline   Reply With Quote