Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
erana_37

Make-Up for Young Characters

Hi

I need some advice on doing make-up if the character that I am cosplaying is a child. I am going to be doing two characters: Paula from "EarthBound" and Mabel from "Gravity Falls". These characters are kids and therefore don't typically wear make-up. However, it's probably not a bad idea to wear some so that my eyes show up better in pictures and what-not. Does anyone have any advice for wearing make-up for these sorts of characters (colours, application etc)?

Thanks!
erana_37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Sweet Loretta

Seems like you have it right. Youth characters generally have fairer and lighter colors and tones overall. And apply sparingly, but enough to take notice.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'd go to the library and get a book about theatrical makeup - there are typically topics in those books about old age makeup as well as youth makeup. The sections that cover how contouring works will also give you an invaluable foundation for doing your makeup to look like any character.

There might be something on-line, too - you could Google it but sometimes for things like this books are still the most complete resource. I find a lot of YouTube makeup tutorials for things like this cover techniques that won't work for everyone (they're 'do your eye makeup just like this' kind of things where that won't work for every eye shape), whereas the books I've read on theatrical makeup teach you how to look at a face in a different way and be able to do whatever you want with it.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Children characters don't typically wear makeup, but they still do (usually) have big, innocent eyes and some color of blush on their cheeks- this differs, it really depends on who you cosplay. If you only wanna do a basic layer on foundation on your face, you should be good to go. From my memory, though, both Paula Polestar and Mabel Pines have always visible blushes, so you wanna put on little bit (remember to blend well and don't use TOO much!). You can also see their eyelashes pretty well. Use a tiny bit of lengthening (not volume) mascara. Thin lines of eyeliner can make eyes look bigger, too. I think this tutorial minus the false lashes and white crayon is what you're looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJXK5EJEQA
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

Makeup isn't just about stuff that "looks like makeup", though.

Using contouring and even more advanced techniques can create a theatrical "makeup" that doesn't look like "makeup".

This is the same as how characters on a TV show might wear makeup to make them look much older for a flash forward or other such episode - that's "makeup", too - but most people would never saw, "wow, they're wearing so much makeup" because it's made to look like an accurate representation of how the person would look older. Example.

You probably also don't think about how the men in movies and TV shows are wearing makeup because it doesn't look like makeup - yet it has an impact on how they look.

The same applies to "youth" makeup. Once you start to use makeup for more than just "make up" you open up so many more possibilities. Youth makeup can only go so far without prosthetics to fill out lost fat, but you can still do what you can without it by making informed choices - and at least avoiding anything that will make you look older. Youth makeup is common in things like the Harry Potter movies and Game of Thrones where actors hired as kids started to "outgrow" their parts or for flashbacks. And it's not just makeup, it's other choices, too.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Overall, I guess it depends on what kind of outcome the OP wants and the methods they wanna use to get it. From the way they describe their problem, it sounds like they wanna go for a simple method that isn't too time-consuming or difficult (based on what I assume their skill level is, though I have little room to talk).
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Kelley
Devil of Details

If a person can apply blush or eyeshadow, they can do something like contouring. It's one of the first things people learn in a theatrical makeup class and many guys that do cosplay makeup learned it and other similar skills as their primary skillset without knowing how to do the "women's daily makeup" type stuff at all.

I don't expect the OP to jump headfirst into prosthetics, but they can do contouring and other choices that emphasise or mimic a younger, less-developed face - along with good choices for wigs and costume can have a very big impact with that alone.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Juya

General advice is to leave out the really bold makeup like liquid liner, etc., and instead work with softer blends of eyeshadows, blush, etc. Be sure to get a nice foundation so you're starting with a clean canvas, as kids tend to have brighter, smoother skin, and maybe look into getting a highlighter.
Juya is offline   Reply With Quote