Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
HailHussie

Homestuck Cosplay Help

I plan on doing a Fem!John Egbert cosplay for a con in 2 months. I can't figure out how to make the shirt design, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do my makeup. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
HailHussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
SingSimple

I think the best way to do the shirt design is by using a screen printing kit, but you could also use fabric paint/sharpies or embroider it. I don't think anything special or out there needs to be done for the makeup, keeping it basic is probably best. I hope this helps
SingSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
Kahluah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingSimple View Post
I think the best way to do the shirt design is by using a screen printing kit, but you could also use fabric paint/sharpies or embroider it. I don't think anything special or out there needs to be done for the makeup, keeping it basic is probably best. I hope this helps
I agree. My high school art teacher taught us a cool and cheap way to screen print with simple fabric paints.

Get a large embroidery hoop, some really sheer fabric, whatever fabric paint you may need, modge podge, and some really cheap fabric to test print on(or an old T-shit). (When I bough this it cost me like $20, but I have already made like 4 shirts and still have fabric and modge podge to spare. Plus some extra paint if my shirts get ruined.) You cut a square of fabric and pull it taught within the hoop, then trace your design on the inside of the hoop with it laying flat against the table (fabric to the table. no gap.) Then you modge podge the areas with no paint and when that is dry you can make as many shirts with that design you want.

you do have to test to make sure you have no holes in you modge podge area though. its a bit tedious, but once you make sure its perfect the shirts turn out really nice.
Kahluah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
heaven_firings

Okay so this is basically a video tutorial of what Kahluah described.

I've also done the shirt designs using wax paper or contact paper.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
HailHussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven_firings View Post
Okay so this is basically a video tutorial of what Kahluah described.

I've also done the shirt designs using wax paper or contact paper.
Could you explain how you did that?
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
heaven_firings

The wax/contact paper?

The process is very similar between the two so I'll just explain and then comment after. You're basically gonna print out your design and trace it onto the paper. Your gonna cut the inside of the design out basically making a big stencil. Attach that to the shirt and paint it in.

Contact paper is really cool because when you iron it it will adhere to the shirt due to the film on the one side. When you pull it off it doesn't leave residue. Contact paper has a sticky side but when I used it also didn't leave a residue.

Now you're doing John but I'm not sure which version, normal or God Tier. If normal you've got that ghost/worm thing so you're gonna have to decide if you want to carefully place the eye slits and fill in later or just paint over the green. Painting over is gonna give you more layers though. Also, you would want to figure out when you're cutting if you want to remove the black outline and free hand it otherwise again more layers.

I hope some of this was at least somewhat helpful and sorry if it got kinda long. Good luck on getting your stuff done.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
redsheep

With Homestuck shirts, I've done iron on transfers, which look good, but peel up on the sides after a few washes. Also you don't wanna' put it on a shirt with any kind of stretch. I ruined my Rose shirt that way. 3:

I usually just prefer to use fabric paint and a cardstock stencil I made. If you're doing regular fem John, then that might be a bit difficult depending on your art skills. If you're doing femtier, then it'd be easier.

For makeup, depends on your headcanon, but I think keep it natural so it looks like you're not wearing any. Obviously, wear some, but keep it natural. I don't think girly John would bother much with that.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
HailHussie

Ah, thank you. I guess I'll just run down to Jo-Ann's tomorrow and get some contact paper. I'm doing regular John, too. What did you mean by paint it in? I'm sorry, you just kinda confused me there. And thanks for the tips!
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
HailHussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
I usually just prefer to use fabric paint and a cardstock stencil I made.
What exactly is a cardstock stencil? I've never heard a term like that before. :?
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailHussie View Post
What exactly is a cardstock stencil? I've never heard a term like that before. :?
That's where you take cardstock........
And make..A stencil..
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
HailHussie

Thank you everyone for the tips. I ended up using fabric paint, and it turned out beautifully. However, there is one problem. I smeared the black fabric paint and didnt realize it until it had already dried. Will I have to bleach the shirt and do it all over again? Or is there some other way I can fix that?