Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Dragonball Z

Unread 12-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Beryl
I did it all for you

DBZ Scouter

I'm surprised this actually hasn't been covered yet.

Well, for those of you out of the loop, let me bring you up to speed. In the series Dragon Ball Z, there is a device called a scouter, which consists of an earpiece and and a lens. Among other things, it allows one to gauge another's power level, blah blah. To illustrate my point, here's my lovely assistant, Raditz, sporting a blue model. Also with me today is the slightly-more-ugly Turles with a red scouter.

How would one go about making one of these from home?

Naturally, it'll require a covert piece going over the top of the head, just to hold it on. Also, I'm sure there are ways to modify headphones of some kind to suit our purposes here. What really stumps me is how to attach the lens (which could be stolen from some tinted shades, though it might not be an ideal shape...).

You can see in this replica the arm that extends from ear to eye, but I dunno how it'd work aside from just gluing it on the one side. Doesn't seem the most stable idea to me... if one could get half-frame glasses and cut them in half, insert one side into the scouter...

Something like that. I dunno. I guess I'll have to give it some more thought later, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Of course, give it a week and Featherweight will have a functional scouter made out of cardboard, chewing gum, and a broken cigarette lighter...

And always remember to follow this handy guide when posting.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

There are those large, aviator style glasses that go all the way around. You could probably find a suitable color somewhere. The colored lens curves about halfway back the metal over-the-ear part. Taking that off of the frame and attaching it to some kind of formed piece might work...

I'm not good with props but brainstorming and innovations, I'm good for. ;P

~Luna
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
Maguma
Blazing Through Tommorrow

we're all VERY familiar with DBZ scouters. but why not just buy one.

Be sure to sign up for ALA 2015 Socal Cosplay Chess!!! Click here!!!
Come check out Socal Cosplay Chess on Facebook!!! Click here!!!
Maguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Tenucha
☣Biohazard Redfield

You can buy them?
:~: Gene Starwind (Outlaw Star)

"Tenucha Cosplay" Public Facebook Profile
http://www.myspace.com/tenucha
ANIME EXPO 2010 PICTURES are ALMOST ALL ONLINE!
The rest of Day 4 to be uploaded soon
Tenucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Beryl
I did it all for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenucha View Post
You can buy them?
Exactly. If you can buy them, I'd love to know where.

During the life of the DBZ thread elsewhere on the boards, one popped up on eBay. The price was over a hundred dollars, and presumably kept going up. I think it'd often be cheaper and easier to just make one yerself.

And always remember to follow this handy guide when posting.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
Tenucha
☣Biohazard Redfield

Then I would keep searching eBay and hope the price isn't high... meanwhile planning on making one yourself
:~: Gene Starwind (Outlaw Star)

"Tenucha Cosplay" Public Facebook Profile
http://www.myspace.com/tenucha
ANIME EXPO 2010 PICTURES are ALMOST ALL ONLINE!
The rest of Day 4 to be uploaded soon
Tenucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Hmm looking at that.... You could alwasy get a piece of plexiglass cut like a sidways p and just drill a hole in whatever you are doing and glue it in? Or if you couldnt cut it, you could probally easily resin cast something that would work just like that! That would probally be super easy, just make it out of clay, bake it, sand it down flat (the lens part) and then make a 1 sided latex mold off it then you could cast it in whatever color of resin you wanted
Unknowbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

The prop scouters from Japan are hard to come by, and I think they're sized to fit children anyway. They might be a tad too small for the likes of some of us.

I've seen a lot of people discuss doing scouters but I have yet to see anyone actually produce one. Part of the problem is, everybody goes "oh, I can just modify a headphone piece, right?" but those size/type of headphones haven't been sold in twenty years. You'd have to luck out finding something at a thrift store, swap meet, or flea market.

Considering most, if not all, costumes with which the scouter is worn would probably require the cosplayer to have a wig, making a clear plastic headband to go over the crown of the head and thereby support the scouter would be the easiest way of keeping it on. The wig can hide it. Really, you don't need any more support than that no matter what the weight of the eyepiece and arm. I have a Jedi starfighter headset from SW: Attack of the Clones that I made myself, with the forehead piece and everything, and it's only held on my head with the piece that goes over my crown and one earpiece instead of two. It's not lopsided and stays in place fine, I've never had an issue with it. I would imagine if I crafted a scouter the same way and did Vegeta or Raditz, I'd have a wig on top of it helping to hold it in place.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
psg1man

DBZ Scouters 4 Sale

Well I just found a site that will be selling red, green, and blue scouters as of Dec. 2013. they look cool and make a sound like real ones. here is link: http://www.entertainmentearth.com
psg1man is offline   Reply With Quote