Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #16
ChaosFoxCostuming

she has a lot of mixed reviews.
ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
Giyari
A gentleman and a scholar

deleted

Final Fantasy XI, Scholar Artifact Armor: 100% (retired)
Final Fantasy XI, Scholar Savant's Attire: 100%
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Black Mage Artifact Armor: 100%

Future conventions:

Anime Expo 2013

Last edited by Giyari : 01-09-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Changed my mind about her.
Giyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

I editted the post to omit the name of the commissioner.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
ZenKiJai

Omg thank god that i saw this post, i pmed her like few days ago and she replied asking for $680 for a costume that there's no way it could cost such amount.
ZenKiJai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #20
MaiCosplay

Depends on the quality.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
GodKing_Jedi

deleted
GodKing_Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #22
JoeTheShowRI

CosplayMandy nightmare

I too, have just recently signed up and made an account to become a member of this site and hate for my first post to be negative, but I also just had a HORRIBLE experience with CosplayMandy. It's funny because I had read this review prior to hiring her and chose to ignore it...BIG MISTAKE...and I hope no one else makes it again. I hired Mandy to re-create the Captain America "Stealth Suit" as seen in the Winter Soldier movie. She had already made it for a previous customer and the pictures online of the customer wearing it looked wonderful. I was a little skeptical of the 780.00 price tag when every other costume she had for sale was in the 500.00 range, but needless to say, it's what I wanted and so it's what I paid. I went back and forth chatting with Mandy over a few emails trying to explain to her exactly what I wanted and how it was going to be paid for. I requested the same exact suit she had built previously but with a larger star in the center of the chest. Mandy accepted my commission and told me she could meet my deadline of October 23, 2014 and I made the first payment on September 24, 2014. The first payment was 390.00 (50%-which is listed as the requirement for a build to begin on her etsy site). However, I was contacted and informed that 70% would be needed upfront for this build as it was to be completed in a short period of time so I sent the additional 156.00 for 70%. Mandy then sent me a measurements sheet to fill out which I did using a rolled tape measure. I sent back Mandy the measurements and she began. After about a week, I contacted Mandy to see how things were going and she told me that the build would be ready in about a week. She then asked me to provide her my measurement from the shoulder to the crotch which I did. A week from this day, I contacted Mandy again and she stated she was done "aside for a few finishing touches" and would be sending pictures soon. Three days after that, I contacted her again and she sent me the pictures. I had a few complaints from viewing the picture regarding the stripes of the costume which did not appear to taper off from the neck piece as they had in her previous build. Mandy told me that she understood but due to my time-crunch could not fix this. I elected to have Mandy ship the costume and sent the remaining balance along with rush shipping from China for 304.00 more dollars. Three days later on October 21, my costume arrived. I was extremely excited until I opened up the packaging and removed the costume.

Quality Issues
On the neck piece (which attaches separately using velcro) there was pulled thread and loose stitching. There were no velcro pieces where velcro should have been affixed in order to hold the neck piece on. Additionally, the star was not attached to the costume (I guess I should have noticed this from the picture she took with the costume while holding the star-but i just assumed that was a picture from before her "finishing touches") nor was it any larger than that of her previous build, every single piece of velcro that was affixed to the pouches to hold them shut ripped off from the pouch when I attempted to open them because the glue she used to hold the pieces on was not up-to-par, and the stripes on the upper chest of the costume were only stitched on three sides rather than all four. If anything, the stripes on the chest should have been stitched in to the seam of the arm for a more professional look but at the bare minimum they should have been stitched on all four sides.

Sizing Issues
On top of the quality issues, this costume did not fit. Period. It was about three sizes too small and looked like something catwoman would wear. I was asked to have my chest, waist, and hips remeasured professionally which I did. My measurements, aside from the hip measurement, were all smaller than the measurements I provided for Mandy which means if anything the costume should have been larger in those areas. My hip measurement exactly was 104cm but when I went to the tailor, he left room for movement and measured me at 110cm which I understand is a significant difference. However, I was not asked to submit measurements as if I were a tailor making the costume. I submit to Mandy the exact measurements of my body expecting her to make a costume which would fit from that. Upon submitting a photo of my updated and professionally done measurements to Mandy, Mandy jumped all over the fact that I had "mis-measured" my hips by 6cm and asked me to have other parts of my body measured as well as to measure her costume. I informed Mandy that it did not matter to me what her costume measured as I provided the measurements for my body and the costume she made did not fit. It made no difference what her costume measured. Mandy then asked me to measure my thigh. I measured my thigh as well as my waist and sent pictures of this to her for proof. My hip measurement around the largest area of my buttocks came back to 104cm and my thigh measurement while flexed was 53 cm (the initial measurement I sent was 52cm.) I also laid the measuring tape across the costume and send pictures of this. Mandy again jumped all over the fact that I was improperly measuring the suit (I am no tailor and the size the suit was made is irrelevant if it does not fit my body specifications) and also stated that I gave her the wrong thigh measurement. I was off by 1cm in my thigh measurement and she stated that she made her costume to 53cm in the thigh area. Remember again-the measurement I provided for Mandy for my thigh was 52cm. This means that she left 1cm of room in each leg. I then informed Mandy that I had hired her to make me a Captain America suit and not yoga pants.

This conversation went back and forth with Mandy insisting the issues were with my measurements and me saying they were not. Again, I remind you that my chest, waist, inseam, shoulder to crotch...virtually every single measurement aside from the hip measurement (which was still spot on if I'm measuring exact specifications) were all larger than the measurements the tailor provided for me. I feel as though now is also a good time to state that I had asked her during an email conversation to make the length from shoulder to crotch larger in case it had to be taken in. I stated that I could have it tailored smaller, but not larger, and she stated she understood my concern. If all of my measurements were larger than what my normal body specifications are, why was it that I could not even zipper up the jumpsuit?

Mandy offered no refund, partial or full, and would not offer to fix my costume. At this point, it would be useless for her to fix it as the date I needed it by has passed. During our emails, Mandy kept reverting back to the fact that she was right in measuring the costume and I was wrong. She even told me to have my tailor look at the costume and ask what it would cost for him to make it (I informed her that I had hired her for the commission and not my tailor). She then told me that there were issues with the quality of the item in areas because I gave her a quick due date and she reminded me that I was not even charged a rush order fee. I informed Mandy that if she had charged me anymore than 780.00 for the quality of work I was provided it would have been criminal and that if she was not able to professionally complete my costume in the time frame I gave her, my commission should have been denied. Mandy also stated, "I left the velcro off the neck piece because it needs to be fitted to your specifications and I was no sure where that would be." That's like saying, I didn't make the costume because you weren't here in person and the measurements you provided don't depict the shape and size of your body's measurements. It should also be noted that there was no velcro provided for me to complete this costume myself. Mandy stated that the quality issues I brought up were small and I could have this fixed. I stated that for 780.00 plus shipping, I should not have to fix my own costume as I paid her for a finished product and not a work in progress. Additionally, as if there wasn't enough already, the material used for the pouched/belt, gloves, and back harness looked incredibly cheap like a plastic pleather and was thinner, as well as a much different color than that she depicted in her pictures.

I am currently in the "claim" process on paypal regarding this transaction although I am fairly certain I am uncovered due to the nature of the work as well as the number of payments I made on this transaction (I would not qualify). I figured it was worth a try though given the large sum of money I spent on this costume. (I am a college student with loans to pay who wanted to look cooler than everyone else at the costume party-not a rich old man-again not your problem, just a brief insight).

I informed Mandy that the least I could do would be to share our entire encounter on every single cosplay forum I could find and she told me that she would sue me for slander and libel. I informed her that she could send all litigation paperwork to the same address she used when she shipped me that P.O.S. costume and so, here I am.

If anything, i hope you take this very long story/rant in to consideration when hiring any costume commissioner. I know that I did not listen to this thread when hiring Mandy and learned my lesson the hard, and expensive way. If I can figure out how to post our email conversations I will do that also just to provide accreditation to this story/encounter. Definitely avoid this commissioner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2-3.JPG (100.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3-3.JPG (116.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1-3.JPG (107.3 KB, 0 views)
JoeTheShowRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Holy crap! That just looks awful! I'm sorry to hear this happened to you! I commissioned Cosplay Mandy twice 4 years ago and everything she sent was absolutely perfect. Based on this thread it appears her craftsmanship and honestly are gone. So sad since she used to be a good commissioner.

As for the paypal dispute, I'm sorry to say that "custom made items" are not covered by paypal protection policy. I know this because I had the same thing happen to me with another commissioner. I was so angry.

Once again, I'm sorry this happened. I know the feeling...

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Ohayocon 2015

Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Goddess Purple Heart (Hyperdimention Neptunia)- 70%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 90%
Poison Ivy (Batman)- 0%
Ashe the Frost Archer (League of Legends)- 90%

Last edited by Amaya : 10-28-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Amaya is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2014, 02:42 AM   #24
sailortintin
Xenofreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheShowRI View Post
I too, have just recently signed up and made an account to become a member of this site and hate for my first post to be negative, but I also just had a HORRIBLE experience with CosplayMandy. It's funny because I had read this review prior to hiring her and chose to ignore it...BIG MISTAKE...and I hope no one else makes it again. I hired Mandy to re-create the Captain America "Stealth Suit" as seen in the Winter Soldier movie. She had already made it for a previous customer and the pictures online of the customer wearing it looked wonderful. I was a little skeptical of the 780.00 price tag when every other costume she had for sale was in the 500.00 range, but needless to say, it's what I wanted and so it's what I paid. I went back and forth chatting with Mandy over a few emails trying to explain to her exactly what I wanted and how it was going to be paid for. I requested the same exact suit she had built previously but with a larger star in the center of the chest. Mandy accepted my commission and told me she could meet my deadline of October 23, 2014 and I made the first payment on September 24, 2014. The first payment was 390.00 (50%-which is listed as the requirement for a build to begin on her etsy site). However, I was contacted and informed that 70% would be needed upfront for this build as it was to be completed in a short period of time so I sent the additional 156.00 for 70%. Mandy then sent me a measurements sheet to fill out which I did using a rolled tape measure. I sent back Mandy the measurements and she began. After about a week, I contacted Mandy to see how things were going and she told me that the build would be ready in about a week. She then asked me to provide her my measurement from the shoulder to the crotch which I did. A week from this day, I contacted Mandy again and she stated she was done "aside for a few finishing touches" and would be sending pictures soon. Three days after that, I contacted her again and she sent me the pictures. I had a few complaints from viewing the picture regarding the stripes of the costume which did not appear to taper off from the neck piece as they had in her previous build. Mandy told me that she understood but due to my time-crunch could not fix this. I elected to have Mandy ship the costume and sent the remaining balance along with rush shipping from China for 304.00 more dollars. Three days later on October 21, my costume arrived. I was extremely excited until I opened up the packaging and removed the costume.

Quality Issues
On the neck piece (which attaches separately using velcro) there was pulled thread and loose stitching. There were no velcro pieces where velcro should have been affixed in order to hold the neck piece on. Additionally, the star was not attached to the costume (I guess I should have noticed this from the picture she took with the costume while holding the star-but i just assumed that was a picture from before her "finishing touches") nor was it any larger than that of her previous build, every single piece of velcro that was affixed to the pouches to hold them shut ripped off from the pouch when I attempted to open them because the glue she used to hold the pieces on was not up-to-par, and the stripes on the upper chest of the costume were only stitched on three sides rather than all four. If anything, the stripes on the chest should have been stitched in to the seam of the arm for a more professional look but at the bare minimum they should have been stitched on all four sides.

Sizing Issues
On top of the quality issues, this costume did not fit. Period. It was about three sizes too small and looked like something catwoman would wear. I was asked to have my chest, waist, and hips remeasured professionally which I did. My measurements, aside from the hip measurement, were all smaller than the measurements I provided for Mandy which means if anything the costume should have been larger in those areas. My hip measurement exactly was 104cm but when I went to the tailor, he left room for movement and measured me at 110cm which I understand is a significant difference. However, I was not asked to submit measurements as if I were a tailor making the costume. I submit to Mandy the exact measurements of my body expecting her to make a costume which would fit from that. Upon submitting a photo of my updated and professionally done measurements to Mandy, Mandy jumped all over the fact that I had "mis-measured" my hips by 6cm and asked me to have other parts of my body measured as well as to measure her costume. I informed Mandy that it did not matter to me what her costume measured as I provided the measurements for my body and the costume she made did not fit. It made no difference what her costume measured. Mandy then asked me to measure my thigh. I measured my thigh as well as my waist and sent pictures of this to her for proof. My hip measurement around the largest area of my buttocks came back to 104cm and my thigh measurement while flexed was 53 cm (the initial measurement I sent was 52cm.) I also laid the measuring tape across the costume and send pictures of this. Mandy again jumped all over the fact that I was improperly measuring the suit (I am no tailor and the size the suit was made is irrelevant if it does not fit my body specifications) and also stated that I gave her the wrong thigh measurement. I was off by 1cm in my thigh measurement and she stated that she made her costume to 53cm in the thigh area. Remember again-the measurement I provided for Mandy for my thigh was 52cm. This means that she left 1cm of room in each leg. I then informed Mandy that I had hired her to make me a Captain America suit and not yoga pants.

This conversation went back and forth with Mandy insisting the issues were with my measurements and me saying they were not. Again, I remind you that my chest, waist, inseam, shoulder to crotch...virtually every single measurement aside from the hip measurement (which was still spot on if I'm measuring exact specifications) were all larger than the measurements the tailor provided for me. I feel as though now is also a good time to state that I had asked her during an email conversation to make the length from shoulder to crotch larger in case it had to be taken in. I stated that I could have it tailored smaller, but not larger, and she stated she understood my concern. If all of my measurements were larger than what my normal body specifications are, why was it that I could not even zipper up the jumpsuit?

Mandy offered no refund, partial or full, and would not offer to fix my costume. At this point, it would be useless for her to fix it as the date I needed it by has passed. During our emails, Mandy kept reverting back to the fact that she was right in measuring the costume and I was wrong. She even told me to have my tailor look at the costume and ask what it would cost for him to make it (I informed her that I had hired her for the commission and not my tailor). She then told me that there were issues with the quality of the item in areas because I gave her a quick due date and she reminded me that I was not even charged a rush order fee. I informed Mandy that if she had charged me anymore than 780.00 for the quality of work I was provided it would have been criminal and that if she was not able to professionally complete my costume in the time frame I gave her, my commission should have been denied. Mandy also stated, "I left the velcro off the neck piece because it needs to be fitted to your specifications and I was no sure where that would be." That's like saying, I didn't make the costume because you weren't here in person and the measurements you provided don't depict the shape and size of your body's measurements. It should also be noted that there was no velcro provided for me to complete this costume myself. Mandy stated that the quality issues I brought up were small and I could have this fixed. I stated that for 780.00 plus shipping, I should not have to fix my own costume as I paid her for a finished product and not a work in progress. Additionally, as if there wasn't enough already, the material used for the pouched/belt, gloves, and back harness looked incredibly cheap like a plastic pleather and was thinner, as well as a much different color than that she depicted in her pictures.

I am currently in the "claim" process on paypal regarding this transaction although I am fairly certain I am uncovered due to the nature of the work as well as the number of payments I made on this transaction (I would not qualify). I figured it was worth a try though given the large sum of money I spent on this costume. (I am a college student with loans to pay who wanted to look cooler than everyone else at the costume party-not a rich old man-again not your problem, just a brief insight).

I informed Mandy that the least I could do would be to share our entire encounter on every single cosplay forum I could find and she told me that she would sue me for slander and libel. I informed her that she could send all litigation paperwork to the same address she used when she shipped me that P.O.S. costume and so, here I am.

If anything, i hope you take this very long story/rant in to consideration when hiring any costume commissioner. I know that I did not listen to this thread when hiring Mandy and learned my lesson the hard, and expensive way. If I can figure out how to post our email conversations I will do that also just to provide accreditation to this story/encounter. Definitely avoid this commissioner.
Hopefully, paypal will rule in your favor. They recently updated their policy to include custom made items.

Dragoon Miranda remake (Legend of Dragoon): 20%
Princess Agitha (Zelda): 10%
Princess Eclair (La Pucelle): 50%
sailortintin is offline   Reply With Quote